• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Btooom! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
@underlock Not legally, but I dabble.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
nice. so am i mistaken or is Himiko Sakamoto's spoiler[online wife]?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
underlock wrote:
You know what? Let's steal a bunch of key plot points from some hentai and create an anime.

And so Btooom! was born.

To me this is rather accurate and why I will probably drop it. I don't mind sex, I don't mind violence, I don't mind the 2 being mixed if the story is right and it's handled right. What gets me is shock factor crap without a purpose. What also gets me is when a show can't decide what it wants to be. When it tires to do 2, or more, different things and does not succeed well at any of them. This is all not taking into account some of characters and their flaws. I'll give it one more chance but if there's no balance found then it's 3 strikes you're out.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
nice. so am i mistaken or is Himiko Sakamoto's spoiler[online wife]?

If it isn't the case, then it'd mean poor writing, because it seems pretty clear.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
So, episode 3...

The name of the company is Tyrannos Japan? Yes, that's the correct name to give your conglomerate if you plan to commit atrocities. Runners-up included Genocide Japan, Murder Japan Inc., Lawbreaker Corp of Japan and Slaughterers of the East, Japan Division.

There was girl that had to be at least ten-years-old on the cargo plane. Is she a part of the plot? Who the hell would hate a child so much that they send her off to a death game. I suppose the price attached would be motivation...but still. Maybe it's a guy dating a super MILF and wants her daughter out of the way.

I like this new guy. I hope he sticks around. And the big baddie introduced (the one that spoiler[offed the eighties chick] looks like Vincent from the Bebop movie, who also looks like Zangetsu from Bleach.

This show is going to be either really entertaining or really awful, it's too early still for me to decide.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
That young boy in the end has the same voice actor as Inaba from Kokoro Connect. It was a little weird spoiler[ hearing her voice in a demented little boy in the previews]. So I guess they are going to make us wait till the 2 main character team up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
I gotta say I'm totally loving this show. So Battle Royale. I was sad to see spoiler[80s chick blowed up, though. She had a nice set.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
I knew I recognised the voice, it sounded just like her, the voice sounded a little too similar which was a litt unsettleing.

I am enjoying this show by the large, but the gore is starting to get to me, and I don't see how an ending could be satisfying enough.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The name of the company is Tyrannos Japan?

That reminds of evil organization from Gintama whose official name was Evil organization.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
"Island Death Game" must have been taken?

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
ep.3
so now yea guess how got everyone put in the island?
spoiler[
yea so ryota see blonde but run then meet guy pants down who explain how it all again cause some rip-off evil Probst wannabee with masked mooks kid-nap random people have play real btooom get 8 chips you're free.

give ryota is are you mad cue shock guns cause memory probs so now make alliance pants down guy see food case but almost step a landmine so try another then see kid with face of blood?

yea can say really like anime version of survivor the crazy bombers will kill & etc get chips to escape the island & what next?]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Sakamoto finally realizes it's a game.
That guy gave some interesting info.
So it's just some crazy guys bad joke.
Sakamoto was really effected by the new info.
Looks like he's really gonna have to kill 7 people to get off the island.
Taira & Sakamoto team. Don't see that functioning for long.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I gotta say I'm totally loving this show. So Battle Royale.

The comparison is apt but I personally think the atmosphere of both are different. Sure on paper you'd think Btooom is just a new updated version. it has so far many of the same elements as Battle Royale. However, to me BR had more continuity and just flowed better. Btooom to me feels a bit disjointed at times in its atmosphere. With BR it started as dark with a direct and particular atmosphere and stuck to it. It....flowed better for lack of a better word. It's still early granted but if we're comparing the 2 shows right now I'd consider BR a much better success than Btooom. After episode 3 though I've decided to stick around for a bit more and see if it "finds itself" so to speak.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
I think the biggest difference between Battle Royale and this is that Battle Royale was spoiler[Structured and endorsed by the government], whereas this is spoiler[a maniacal corporation just...having fun? I dunno. ]

Also, Battle Royale had a message to it (albeit maybe a little muddled) and this just seems to be fun with explosions and breasts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Battle Royale (both movie and manga), I actually prefer - in terms of conceptual framework - Btooom!'s handling of the premise. BR was an over-the-top satire and featured only high school kids. You knew right from the top why the game was happening. I like that Btooom! is using a range of different types of people, not just high schoolers. I also like the fact that we do not yet know why all this is being done or why these particular people were chosen. Hopefully, the reveal of that won't make us groan. I also prefer the Btooom! rules. BR was (as its name indicates) a "last person standing" set-up. In order to "win" that game, you would have had to kill at least one person (or be one of the last three surviving as the other two conveniently kill each other simultaneously). In Btooom! the rules allow for multiple survivors* (thus making alliances more logical than in BR where any partnership or alliance knew from the get go they'd have to eventually turn on the other) and even allows for the possibility of someone surviving without having to kill anyone (i.e. if you steal enough of those green shards from other players, you can get eight and leave).

Anyway, I'm simply enjoying the sheer entertainment value of this one.

*I think, anyway - I'm assuming that the first person to get eight green shards gets to leave, but that doesn't mean everyone else is killed (although I could be wrong about that).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19