• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gurren Lagann the Movie: Crimson Lotus Chapter

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
Why does the music get a C? You don't even mention it in your review, and I always found Taku Iwasaki's score to be pretty good. Full orchestral soundtracks with a thrilling main theme. It hardly deserves that score.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
Pretty much what I expected. I've never seen an anime-to-movie transition go well when it's basically just a rehash of a huge 26+ episode series. Disappointing, but, again, expected entirely. =\
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I found the first Gurren Lagann movie to be very strange, too. I always felt like it was the second part of the series that needed cutting down, not the first, and losing the village chapter hurt the later development of Rossiu. Also, ending where they did was a little strange, too. They should have given it a trilogy of movies. That way they could end the first movie with spoiler[Kamina's death] and the second with spoiler[the defeat of the Spiral King].

Not being a huge fan of the series, I still thought it was pretty vibrant and fun, but I'm holding out hope that the second movie is better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IAmZim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
This review is written as if the author has not only never seen a compilation movie before, but also never a super robot show.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I'd still buy it for the Parallel Works.

But yeah, how the heck does the music only merit a C?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
IAmZim wrote:
This review is written as if the author has not only never seen a compilation movie before, but also never a super robot show.

...or it was written as if the author:
1) has seen compilation movies before, thinks they're a bad idea, and that this movie is a perfect example of why that's the case, and
2) has seen super robot shows before but doesn't really care for them for the reasons he stated.

All I have to say is, if they short-change Rossiu, I'm not interested in it. His storyline was one of the highlights of the series to me.
TheCrushinator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Referring to the TV series, the reviewer states, "Gurren Lagann's visual elements often apologized for the comparably malnourished elements of its characters and story, and by and large, it worked in its own specific way, as a visual feast requiring little brain power."

It seemed to me that the theme of Gurren Lagann (TV) dealt with the subjugation of the spiral races (humanity) because they ignored the law of conservation of energy. It is poking fun at giant robot anime for it's bad physics. (weapons & wings that come from nowhere, Giant robots that transform from small cars)

As giant robot anime goes, that's pretty clever and takes a little brain power for the average couch potato to figure out. Besides, I liked the characters. They reinforced the theme perfectly.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I never understood the trend of condensing 26 episode series into 1 or 2 movies (even if you add in a couple different scenes). Sure maybe you will get better animation but to condense a story that much you are obviously going to cut into plot & character development. I loved the series but I am definitely not rushing to see the movies. I just don't see the point of them except to milk the franchise a little more. I guess I will just rent it when it is finally licensed here (assuming that it will be licensed).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Sure the retouched final battle was great, but I'd only ever pay to see this film if it were theaters (as it was meant to be seen), not on home video, where my regular TTGL DVDs would obviously be more important.

Apparently the Lagann-hen movie is faaaaar superior in terms of new stuff, so there's still hope for that.
Vekou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
What a depressing review... I just watched this movie and I loved it.
animepuppy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
TTGL is one of my favorite anime shows, but the movie did look like it was going to flop, had they did something like an OVA of kamina and simons life in jihad village when they where younger or yokos younger life would've been a lot better.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised at the mini-review of the series here. I was actually really impressed by Gurren Lagann's examination of the themes of super-robot shows. The metaphor of the drill that they kept coming back to and building upon especially.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kinda doubt it'll be that bad when it comes to the US hopefully that transition will be quite different than what this review said about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Questions:

1: Why is it not linked with #9601?

2. I checked major US retailers and none of them even carries a pre-order. Is this review based on a Japanese DVD, a special reviewer-only screening arranged and/or sent by Bandai Entertainment, or a fansub?

3. Is the English title "Gurren Lagann the Movie: Crimson Lotus Chapter" official? If so I'll change it for #9601.

Last edited by dormcat on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I still hope this movie and its sequel get dubbed. When Syfy gets tired of running the series, this will give them a way to rotate in some Gurren Lagann goodness from time to time without taking up a whole eighth of a year's worth of programming.

So what if people who haven't seen the series don't understand it, does anyone who's seen the series REALLY understand it?! I rest my case!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3