• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Box Office Mojo-ka Magica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
My Little Monster doesn't have much to do with fujoshi shows though.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Still find it baffling that people insist objectivity in art exists. It's one thing to apply consensus and personal standards, but art is explicitly interior -- objectivity is the opposite of that.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
But excuse any of my film ignorance bc what I do know was self taught.

No need for any self-depreciation -- you seem to know a lot for being self-taught!

Quote:
As for stuff like Mushishi and Mononoke (two of my favorite titles) I am not really sure if I would count them. They are artistic for sure but I don't see them having an impact on anime at large.

Madoka is a possibility though. I think Madoka will have an impact on anime but whether that is just in a commercial sense or in an artistic sense remains to be seen.

Well, I'm not entirely sure if we should include a work's impact in its industry or medium as an arguable criteria. While something like Evangelion would be obvious, I don't think Ikuhara, Hamasaki or Oshii have really left that been of an imprint creatively on other anime. Plus, a lot of these movements didn't immediately influences works for future generations or other countries, Western Europe's influence on New Hollywood aside.

eyeresist wrote:
Elitism - I don't think it's necessarily elitist to accuse a show of pandering to otakus. I've made that accusation myself, and at least by civilian standards I certainly AM an otaku! In case it's still unclear, what we mean by "pandering" is cynical recycling of characteristics and tropes as a substitute for character and story. But it is possible for a show to be otaku-bait and still actually quite good.

Exactly this. Any real study of entertainment and culture obviously links the material and its audience. Of course people are more complex than generalizations, but including those kinds of footnotes all the time just makes discussions tediously passive.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
animefan425 wrote:
So, in your opinion, to say that harem anime fans like "unfunny, stupid, pandering junk created cynically by people who either don't care or have no imagination" is not attacking their tastes? Wow, I really would like to see what would you say to them if you were intending to attack their particular tastes and inclinations in entertainment.

I am posting this publicly to animefan425 so that people who have complained about your posts will know that we are doing something about this.

I have reviewed your post record so far, and the vast majority of your posts are specific - and in many cases extremely hostile - bashes against staff columnists and reviewers, whether specifically named or in general. Having differing opinions is definitely tolerated, but you sound like your problem with us runs much deeper, to the point that your hostility is bothering even people that it's not directed at. That's where we draw the line.

At this time this is just a friendly heads-up that you're drifting into problematic territory. Actions may be taken if you persist and people continue to complain about it, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I believe in liking what I like and don't worry what other people think. Just because someone likes a certain genre doesn't necessarily make them stupid or smart. Some people like more than one kind of thing; someone could like harem anime and have a bookshelf full of classic literature. Just sticking to one particular kind of book/show/music seems boring to me. I think it's important to have balance and be well-rounded.

There some kinds of anime I don't like but I don't go hating on the people who like them. And it's not fair to generalize about fans of those shows you hate.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The technical issues are the only thing that can really be proven as good or bad, since something that is well animated isn't really an opinion.

No, actually that's an opinion too, or can be. If a show has a tiny budget, so they decide to use very limited animation, you can't say "the animation is limited, therefore it's bad", because the director's aesthetic aim was achieved. It's like saying a movie looks bad because it's in black and white (yeah, some people actually say that sort of thing). You have to consider what their aims were before you can judge whether they succeeded.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
animefan425 wrote:
So, in your opinion, to say that harem anime fans like "unfunny, stupid, pandering junk created cynically by people who either don't care or have no imagination" is not attacking their tastes? Wow, I really would like to see what would you say to them if you were intending to attack their particular tastes and inclinations in entertainment.

I am posting this publicly to animefan425 so that people who have complained about your posts will know that we are doing something about this.

I have reviewed your post record so far, and the vast majority of your posts are specific - and in many cases extremely hostile - bashes against staff columnists and reviewers, whether specifically named or in general. Having differing opinions is definitely tolerated, but you sound like your problem with us runs much deeper, to the point that your hostility is bothering even people that it's not directed at. That's where we draw the line.

At this time this is just a friendly heads-up that you're drifting into problematic territory. Actions may be taken if you persist and people continue to complain about it, however.

That didn't really answer his question it was just threatening him into backing down and dropping the subject. You gotta admit half the insults you see in these articles and in the anime previews about otaku and fanservice anime, like blatantly calling the fans pedophiles and pathetic, would be grounds for moderation if anyone else said them on the forums >_>
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
That didn't really answer his question it was just threatening him into backing down and dropping the subject. You gotta admit half the insults you see in these articles and in the anime previews about otaku and fanservice anime, like blatantly calling the fans pedophiles and pathetic, would be grounds for moderation if anyone else said them on the forums >_>

I noticed that too. I've seen several "Hey moe fans, stop with the persecution complex" mod posts but never any "Hey, if you guys don't like something try to hold back on the insults" mod posts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10