• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Box Office Mojo-ka Magica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Always the Twilight argument. :/
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Also, an example (or even a list of them) of where Infinite Stratos did good would just be me listing things that anyone could see by watching the show. Really redundant, and a waste of my time. I don't accept that I am obligated to provide proof when the very evidence I would be providing is right there in the episodes - clear as daylight - for everyone to see. If you watched the show and didn't think it was great then nothing I can say is going to change your mind.

See, it's a two way street. Who is right and who is wrong? God only knows.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
No one is right or wrong.

And I doubt that God even cares.

I just think that it's weird that an opinion has to be invalidated just because of different feelings toward the show. Obviously one sees good merit the show, and another one sees that there's nothing to enjoy. Different viewpoints that probably won't change.

Is that about it?
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The main reason is because you don't see them very often. Male centric harems are pretty wide spread and at the forefront, so they make easier targets.

Also, no one has problems objectifying men. Because sexism only affects females, apparently Rolling Eyes

I don't end up liking the male harem animes with females leads...it always involves romance. Wallflower would have to be the only reverse harem because of how funny the guys are. I don't like normally harems because they almost always have romance...I'm anti-romance. I'm also not a big fan of female characters to begin with...and a harem as all those females, I can't stand it. And the female in reverse harems...they're always written as the stereotyped shojo female, it's really outdated.

I'll take my male harem with ALL male cast and shojos with male leads. But what gets me is when a guy says BL/yaoi & GL/yuri titles are "equal" to that of the ecchi shows they get. I'm sorry, but my BL romance should be compared to straight romance, not to bouncing boobs, panty shots, and boobs in the face animes.

Now, I won't fight on the 18+ titles because I can live with those being compared to toned down hentai because they do more then kiss in those. But the 13+ and 16+ rated ones, I feel they should be compared to straight romance, it's only seems fair.

Last edited by Vata Raven on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

I don't end up liking the male harem animes with females leads...it always involves romance.

err...

Quote:
I'll take my male harem with ALL male cast and shojos with male leads. But what gets me is when a guy says BL/yaou & GL/yuri titles are "equal" to that of the ecchi shows they get. I'm sorry, but my BL romance should be compared to straight romance, not to bouncing boobs, panty shots, and boobs in the face animes.

Wait what? What does...? Why shouldn't it be compared? Your point is highly muddled.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
What kind of stuff do you actually like? I'd like to see what 'creative' actually is in your mind. If a show where a guy who gets his powers from sucking boob milk isn't 'creative' but is actually 'generic and been done thousands of times before' then I need a new definition of the word apparently.

I'm not gonna lie here, I honestly thought you got banned.

Anyway, with all due respect, knowing your personality, I don't feel comfortable answering your question. For all I know, you may be itching to object to whatever I have to say without having an open mind. That being said though, I will try to explain what my definition of being creative is as best as I can, so bear with me.

I'll try starting with this: a show that would have sucking breast milk for power is merely an idea. It's definitely a strange and uncommon one, but that doesn't mean it's creative. Creativity isn't about just having ideas and placing them there and seeing if you can get some kind of reaction, it's how you apply them in a way that would most effectively and strongly invoke any viewer the way you want them to based on what it is you're trying to present to them that would make one creative. It's not a matter of how many times it's done so much as how it's done. Is it done to provide a point worth knowing, or is it there to just give some kind of reaction?

What I find creative in a visual story is when the creator knows what he or she wants to say and knows how to say it. You can add whatever ideas you want into the story so as long as it makes sense with what you're telling in your story according to what have your characters go through.

Quote:

You see this, like, all the time in Japan. Are you kidding? Obviously you won't see it much out of westerners because it's kind of hard for any non-Japan to move to Japan and suddenly become a famous mangaka or animator or anything. But this stuff happens every day in Japan. The fact things like Comiket, the biggest convention in the world, and the fact it's dedicated to fan-creations of anime, manga, VNs, and otaku culture exists, pretty much proves this statement wrong.

I'll admit I didn't take comiket into account or people who do doujinshi. However, I specifically said "hardly" and "generally" as in I don't often see it or hear it happen. What I often hear is the basic desire to consume the creative products, but not as much in making them. That being said, I didn't say that it never happens, got that?

Quote:
Pretty much. I watched the show and enjoyed it just fine. I suppose I'm just 'beyond help' because I enjoyed something someone else didn't.

Look, as much as I don't like your attitude whenever you make an argument, I personally wouldn't say you're "beyond help" if you liked a show someone else hated. You just viewed a show in a completely different way compared to dtm42. That happens, there was an ANNCast episode discussing about this regarding a roundtable about moe that came to the conclusion that people who like moe are likely looking for something different in what they watch. It may be hard to realize at first from my point of view, but once I understand it, I'll respect your different way to being entertained. That said, if we're going to boil this down to entertainment, I will also defend what I find entertaining, why it's entertaining to me and even why the way I'm entertained means so much to me.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Crispy45 did not say "I like Infinite Stratos", they said "Infinite Stratos was a good show".

The first is their opinion which they are perfectly entitled to hold. The second - and what they actually said - is a factually incorrect statement.

Infinite Stratos is a bad show. Learn to live with it.

It entirely depends on how you read it. Saying something is good or bad is not a statement of fact, it's a statement of opinion. I think American Football is a bad sport. Doesn't mean I'm right, doesn't mean I'm wrong. It just means that, in my opinion, it is bad. Other people may think it is good and call Ice Hockey bad. Neither of us is right, neither of us is wrong. It's purely a matter of opinion.

I haven't personally seen Infinite Stratos and have no plans to do so in the immediate future. Whether it is good or bad is immaterial to me; I don't care either way. What I do care about is attacking someone for stating their opinion. All you have done so far is throw out accusations about the show being bad without actually providing any proof of why you think that is. Everyone else has at least offered to provide some reasons as to why they think that anime is good. What you've said basically amounts to "The show is this and I have proof but I'm not saying what it is go watch it yourself and if you don't agree with me then this is pointless." That isn't debate. At best it's laziness. At worst it's a temper tantrum.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
What I do care about is attacking someone for stating their opinion.

Don't be deceitful. You know very well that I didn't attack anyone for stating their opinion. You know because I said that people are entitled to their opinions and I have no problem with them expressing it.

Where I did find an issue was with people (not just Crispy45) who actually tried to defend the show by saying it wasn't bad. That is a factually incorrect position to take.

Instead of pretending that objectivity doesn't exist, it would have been much easier on everyone involved if people who liked Infinite Stratos simply accepted they liked a bad show*. That way we could all have moved on with our lives.

Which is nothing to be ashamed of.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
To further extend the Twilight example, what would you do when confronted by an Twilight fan who thinks that it is a good story? Would you bother to convince them? Or would you not even bother because you know it would be a waste of your time?

Also, an example (or even a list of them) of where Infinite Stratos went wrong would just be me listing things that anyone could see by watching the show. Really redundant, and a waste of my time. I don't accept that I am obligated to provide proof when the very evidence I would be providing is right there in the episodes - clear as daylight - for everyone to see. If you watched the show and didn't see the flaws then nothing I can say is going to change your mind.

If you don't want to take me seriously then that's your right. I'm just not in the mood to waste my time in a futile attempt to convince you otherwise.

Here's the thing though, if a twilight fan came to me and said "do you like twilight" and I said "no, it sucks" and they were like "what!!11! why?" I would tell them my reasons, not to convince them that they're wrong for liking it but to show them where I'm coming from. This is what you're refusing to do in this argument. You're completely disinclined to show people where you're coming from in your "infinite stratos sucks" camp. If you're simply not interested in explaining it, that's fine, but it does beg the question why you bothered to get into it by saying anything at all. This is a forum after all. It's not a twitter feed where you can just blurt out whatever you want without any real obligation to explain yourself. If you put out an opinion in an discussion forum you're almost obligated to back it up. But if you don't have the energy then I guess you shouldn't have any qualms about dropping this altogether would you?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
But if you don't have the energy then I guess you shouldn't have any qualms about dropping this altogether would you?

Drop what exactly?

I'm such a lazy bugger I'll drop an argument just to get an extra fifteen minutes of sleep.

But let go of the truth? Never. Certainly not for mere convenience. But that doesn't mean I'm going to defend it either. Especially if the other side can't even be bothered to watch the damn show being discussed doesn't even accept that objective truth exists in the first place.

And on that bombshell I bid you goodnight. I just watched the latest episode of Sword Art Online and well, let's just say I'll be asking a very particular question in the series discussion thread.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

And on that bombshell I bid you goodnight. I just watched the latest episode of Sword Art Online and well, let's just say I'll be asking a very particular question in the series discussion thread.

If you are wondering, thats right from the books.

And yes, its the most horrible, contrived bit of bullshit put on screen in quite some time. I went in expecting bad, and it was actually even worse.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

But let go of the truth? Never. Certainly not for mere convenience. But that doesn't mean I'm going to defend it either. Especially if the other side can't even be bothered to watch the damn show being discussed doesn't even accept that objective truth exists in the first place.

You're completely missing the point. 'Truth' is based on facts; on evidence. It doesn't matter if that truth is 'The sky is blue' or 'McDonalds is unhealthy'; the facts are there. You are asserting the truth, but you are not backing that truth up with facts. Until you do it is not truth; it is an opinion. What you say may be true. What you say may not be true. Truth is impossible to determine without facts. And so far, you haven't given any.

Backing up claims of truth isn't about changing other people's minds; it's about validation. Nobody is asking for you to write a dissertation. All we're asking is "why is this true?" Why is that one little question so hard for you to answer?

Last edited by Melicans on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
But if you don't have the energy then I guess you shouldn't have any qualms about dropping this altogether would you?

Drop what exactly?

I'm such a lazy bugger I'll drop an argument just to get an extra fifteen minutes of sleep.

I hate to kick the dead horse while it's down but you're being so contradictory here. You're too lazy to defend an argument but your adamant about standing by the "truth" of which you haven't defined, won't define, but are gun ho on lauding over everyone's head until the end of time. It doesn't make sense. Obviously if it was that important to you, at the very least you would make clear what is objectively wrong with infinite stratos.

And who is this other side? Are you talking about people like TitanXL who did watch the show but don't agree with you with it being bad or are you referring to me? Because if you're referring to me, I actually did agree with you by saying there are objective things as far as story/character development that one can say makes a story objectively bad. I just have no interest in watching infinite stratos so I can't see where you're coming from when you say the show sucks, and if you have no interest in stating what is objectively wrong with the show in a general talk back thread containing people who either haven't watched the show or have watched the show and can't figure out why you don't like it, then I'd say it would be a good idea to stop hijacking the thread regarding this matter.

That being said, this is the last I'll say on this subject as to not further derail the thread.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The president of the anime club that I go to is really into harem/ "slice of life" / fanservice shows, and when he excitedly talks about the new ones this season, I just smile and nod... Really not my kind of thing, but then again, I'm well on my way to having watched all of the Pretty Cure series out there, so I'm not one to talk back Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Because I don't want my favorite manga of all time to be sullied with the label of "harem"?

Yes, because labels are what makes things things.

*sigh*
Does what it says on the tin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10