• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Paradise Kiss

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
This will be my first truly voluntary double dip.

I did buy the new Kodansha Sailor Moons, but that was because my old Tokyopop bindings had broken and the pages all fell out, plus the flipped format drove me nuts.

Vertical's new editions look amazing and I can't wait to get mine. Also looking forward to the new translation.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking of getting the new edition, and if it's got a new translation that seals the deal.

ParaKiss is pretty much a proto-NANA in some ways, I think.

I've not heard anything about Ai Yazawa for years, I know she was in hospital for almost a year, so hope she's keeping well and one day we'll find out how NANA ends! (I suspect it won't end well...)
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Parakiss was really the manga the got me into manga. It's still one of my favorites after all these years. I can't wait to get Vertical's edition of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
I've been thinking of getting the new edition, and if it's got a new translation that seals the deal.

New translation, new covers, and color plates!!
corinthian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
This was the first manga I ever read, and it's still easily one of my favorites. It resonates with me even more now, and looking back I think it's what made me initially accepting of LGBTQ individuals, even though I had never met any at the time. Isabel was portrayed very well, and I loved that flashback scene with her and George. This may be my first double dip as well. The Vertical editions look gorgeous, and two of my Tokyopop versions are from the second printing, so the covers don't all match.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
This series is what's wrong with america today.
destroying moral values, teaching kids to be rebellious and live in the moment without consideration for future needs and consequences. Dropping out of school, being promiscuous.
everything will be alright as long as daddy keeps sending you money, right, jyo-ji? Cool
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Now here's a review of Paradise Kiss that shows the points of the manga didn't go over the male reader's head. *Claps*

potatochobit wrote:
This series is what's wrong with america today.
destroying moral values, teaching kids to be rebellious and live in the moment without consideration for future needs and consequences. Dropping out of school, being promiscuous.
everything will be alright as long as daddy keeps sending you money, right, jyo-ji? Cool

Where'd the dropping out school and being promiscuous happen? And there was always consideration of the future going on. That was mostly the whole point of the manga. Hoping this was mainly sarcasm that the internet didn't translate well.

Double dipping for consistent covers and color plates. I somehow managed to get a mixture of the two different Tokyopop releases.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Come on, everyone knows that teenagers never have sex unless a comic book tells them its OK, right??
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I double dipped on the book, and I will say Vertical's release paper weight feels heavier, the binding is stronger and images seem a bit crisper. Like normal Vertical did a great job on this release, I think it is the last company of any kind that I blind buy from.
stardf29

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
You know, I wish someone would license Gokinjo Monogatari for the US, considering Paradise Kiss is to some extent a sequel to that manga, and the main characters of Gokinjo appears as a secondary character in ParaKiss, with some of the main characters of ParaKiss being related to characters in Gokinjo (and appearing at the very end of that manga).

That, and Gokinjo Monogatari is just as good as Paradise Kiss.
yoursh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
This is one title I am so glad is getting a re-release.(waiting for my preorder copy to ship) I unfortunatley missed out on the original Tokyopop release since it was going OOP by the time I had watched the anime adaptation and also became a big fan of the NANA manga/anime.(I'm a sucker for shoujo and josei titles) I didn't want to try and pick up misc. volumes if there wasn't a chance I'd be able to get the whole series. Though without having read the TP translation, I'm curious how different the Vertical one will be.

The original thing that drew me to the Paradise Kiss series was the art and fashion design. Being a early 30-something nerdy guy, who dresses stereotypically like one, the designs blew me away. I generally prefer simple, primary colors and designs but Ai Yazawa's ability to use such complex designs and colors really caught my eye. She can mix both punk and classic fashion and make it work. I'm not a high fashion guy, but I can really see the appeal from her various works.

stardf29 wrote:
You know, I wish someone would license Gokinjo Monogatari for the US, considering Paradise Kiss is to some extent a sequel to that manga, and the main characters of Gokinjo appears as a secondary character in ParaKiss, with some of the main characters of ParaKiss being related to characters in Gokinjo (and appearing at the very end of that manga).

That, and Gokinjo Monogatari is just as good as Paradise Kiss.

I too would love to see Gokinjo Monogatari get licensed. Hopefully Paradise Kiss does well for Vertical and they give this title a look. Being a fan of the Ai Yazawa works I've read, I would love the chance to read some of her earlier works. Was always curious to learn more about the tie-ins they hinted at in the last few episodes of the anime.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Ah~ I've been planning on buying Paradise Kiss since I saw it at Barnes & Noble this week. Alas, no paycheck. >_>

But it will be this first thing I'll pick up next week! Very Happy

Not much of fashion person but, as an art student, I can appreciate a visual delight when I see one!
pathetic1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
This was the series that really turned me into a big-time manga fan, one of the first female-oriented manga (this *is* technically josei) that I read. I bought volume 1 at Waldenbooks, went back the next day to get 2 -4, then had to wait agonizingly long (at least a year) for Tokyopop to publish the last volume. Super excited for my preordered volume 1 of the Vertical edition to arrive in the mail. I have been meaning to give this series a reread for a while now but put it off once the new edition was announced, but I will keep my old purple-covered volumes around for nostalgia's sake. Well worth owning twice!

I have also long been mystified as to how we have never gotten any of Yazawa's other great manga (Gokinjo, Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai, Kagen no Tsuki) in English. They're all Shueisha titles, so they'd pretty much have to come from Viz.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yoursh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
pathetic1 wrote:
I have also long been mystified as to how we have never gotten any of Yazawa's other great manga (Gokinjo, Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai, Kagen no Tsuki) in English. They're all Shueisha titles, so they'd pretty much have to come from Viz.

Hmmm, I didn't think of that. Yeah, Viz would be the one to release Yazawa's other titles. I know josei titles aren't the biggest sellers over here but maybe with some of their other titles wrapping up, they'll give some of her's a look. Probably being older titles doesn't help either. I wonder how well Nana sold for them?
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For that matter, I'm not entirely sure whether Paradise Kiss counts as shojo or josei—I don't know whether the Japanese printing had furigana, the technical definition of shojo and shonen.

as you said, being published in a fashion magazine makes this a bit special. I suppose the readers of Zipper aren't all that young, but in any case Paradise Kiss has no furigana (Nana does), so it's difficult to consider it a shojo work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2