• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MangaMagazine.net has gone Subscription. Thoughts?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truanifan678

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
I don't know how many of you follow the global manga scene, but MangaMagazine.net has a great assortment of amateur and professional manga. Before all the content, regardless of standing, was free for everybody to read. Recently they've adopted a subscription system where you can only view (previously free-for-everybody) content by paying for a subscription. I'm torn because I want to support the talented artists who create wonderful stories and pour their hearts and soul into their creations... On the other hand there are a great number of comics on that site that are fun to read, but I wouldn't spend money on. I'm picky about my manga and prefer physical books to begin with. Then again there are some really great artists and comics on there!

Their system is basically as a comic becomes more popular they actually pay the creator(s) for producing the comic, printing it and offering it for sale through their store, etc.

I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this. I know mine, but I'm the only manga reader around where I live. Not many people to bounce conversations from. ^^;;
powil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi truanifan,

I recognized your name from a comment you made on MangaMagazine's blog Anime smile

I just wanted to clarify some things about the recently rolled out subscription. The latest premium chapters on MangaMagazine.net remains free. You can read them at a rate of 1 page per week for free!

Paying to support the site & premium authors gives you two things:

1. All you can read access to the latest chapters, and
2. Access to archived content, enabling new readers to catch up to the free chapters

Now, archived content are chapters from 9 to the latest chapter. Depending on the premium title there may be zero or 20+ chapters that are archived.

Chapters 1-8 remain free to read without restrictions.

There's more info about this on the site's FAQ.

I hope these make sense. There's a big misunderstanding going on that subscription is going to lock all content in the site! That is not true! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1