• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seitokai no Ichizon (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Seitokai no Ichizon (TV)

One of the new show that are coming out this season is Seitokai no Ichizon, which seems to be a spiritual successor of Lucky Star. In just first episode I could pick up references to Haruhi(easy one), Dragon Ball, Lucky Star, K-ON! and Higurashi. I am sure more aware anime veterans could find more of those. What makes this series even more refreshing is high level of selfawareness. Male 'protagonist'(girls called him so... must be true Very Happy ) loves eroge, sees his club as personal harem, views others as standart character archetypes and more.

For those who like parodies, anime/industry inside jokes (need to be a 'veteran' anime fan for full impact) and just whacky humor - Seitokai no Ichizon should be seen.

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
This seems interesting, I'm watching the first episode now and I cracked up with in the first two mins of it.

I'm going to watch more of the first episode and see what happens as so far it's off to a funny start for me

* edit, finished episode 1

I was just laughing at it all, this is what I think could be the season's Lucky Star/K-on! or Hayate no Gotoku!.

I'm watching next week for sure
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
The show quite literally is Lucky Star, by Deen. There's not much else to say, it relies on references and being cute.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
An enjoyable watch for me as well, although I did find aspects of it repetitive (i.e. Ken's insistence that the girls of the Student Council were his harem and their adamant assertions they were not was kind of funny the first few times, but that gong started to be rung one too many times for my liking).

If 98% of each episode really is going to take place only in the Student Council room, that's going to get old pretty fast. I'm not yet convinced that this is one I'll stick with, but we'll see.
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope the rest of the show is as funny as this one was. I found all the references great, especially the Higurashi (zomg it appears in yet another thread Anime hyper)

I didn't really see anything related to K-On! Though. Was it when spoiler[Chizuru came out in the black Mio-like bikini?]

And I almost fell out of my chair when the spoiler[teacher came in with the Lucky Star pastry. Hilarious. Only Lucky Star reference I saw (I guess you could say when they were talking about the anime title in the beginning and putting a star in between the words could be LS too... ]

I agree with Blood- though. The mentioning of his harem happened 5 times too many. I can understand when he was explaining why spoiler[he tricked them at the end], but does he need to repeat it every other sentence?

Finally, what was the picture that they showed with the girls at the beach at 15:04? I know I've seen it before. But I can't remember where I've seen it!

Last edited by Niomo on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mow123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Liked the first episode. The lead reminded me of a slightly less epic version of Hosaka. The pacing did vary greatly, especially with the concentration of parodies. However, I think this show has great potential even if it does border on tedious during a few of its parts.

Think the K-on reference came from when they approved some items for the Light Music Club.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
K-ON! reference was when they got a request to allow the use of castanets for "light music club (Keion-bu; K-ON)" around 19:34, as for Lucky Star it was one of the names they proposed for the club. せい☆ぞん (Sei Zon) is written as らき☆すた (Lucky Star) around 1:40.
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
K-ON! reference was when they got a request to allow the use of castanets for "light music club (Keion-bu; K-ON)" around 19:34, as for Lucky Star it was one of the names they proposed for the club. せい☆ぞん (Sei Zon) is written as らき☆すた (Lucky Star) around 1:40.

Ah, yeah I forgot about the Castanets. Thanks friends!
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget they poked fun at the fact there show wouldn't be as popular as the When they cry series (both Higurashi and the other one) Plus when they where looking at the items for clubs they pulled out a baseball bat that looked like it was from Higurashi

Plus the whole TMoHS rip off where there was a sign on it saying "banned topic" when they where doing the not normal humans bit
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Don't forget they poked fun at the fact there show wouldn't be as popular as the When they cry series (both Higurashi and the other one) Plus when they where looking at the items for clubs they pulled out a baseball bat that looked like it was from Higurashi

Plus the whole TMoHS rip off where there was a sign on it saying "banned topic" when they where doing the not normal humans bit

Well that metal bat is also in the OP...so I don't think its a rip on Higu. And imo, Hugi > Umineko.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quote
I quite liked the first episode, I am a fan pof parody comedies and this was quite good. My favirout parody was probably when they did that Lucky Star like intro before the OP.

Well the series is also self criticising, they discused about being done into an anime and also that they had differences between the original material.

I am quite looking forward to see where this series goes.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
Say you're in a theatre, there's a major concert programme, and you've just seen several excellent acts. The next one, however, involves a comedian coming out on stage, sitting on a lone chair, and making really obvious jokes about the stage, the chair, himself, the audience and the previous acts.
That's basically Seitokai.

Let's be merciful (it's only the first episode) and say that it's not really bad, it's just empty; not to mention that in the parody genre there are many, many excellent titles, and this one isn't anywhere near their level.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The show quite literally is Lucky Star, by Deen. There's not much else to say, it relies on references and being cute.

Thanks for explaining what parody anime means.
Blood- wrote:
If 98% of each episode really is going to take place only in the Student Council room, that's going to get old pretty fast.

I believe Genshiken was about the same, other than I didn't enjoy it as much.
Now some will say: No, but they went to otaku conventions together and such. Ok.

First episode was great. I didn't feel the harem thing getting old at all. And the way he was picking on the president was damn funny(Approved. Flat chest.).
Looking forward to the next episode, and the fanservice.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
episode 2 was pretty funny

FMA and Death note jokes Anime hyper

Seems like the show is going to take place in the room most of the time (there was a scene outside) I mean it didn't get boring in the 2nd episode I still enjoyed it
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[FMA?] Was that when she said something about her spoiler[right arm? ]

Besides that, yeah, this episode was pretty funny. And like Lucky Star, its a show about nothing...so far. But it works, just like LS!

I was pleased to see that they toned down the Harem joke. They mentioned it only once or twice, and at places that it fit in. So good job!

I used tospoiler[ play a ton of Yugi-oh so hearing the card talk brought a smile to my face]

I'm pretty sure there was another reference that as hilarious as well...but I can't remember what it was >.> Next time, I'm just going to list every reference in the episode so i dont forget Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9