• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Say, "I Love You" (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 Final

spoiler[Nagi sure complicated things again.
Her little outburst really made a mess of things.
Jealousy and misunderstanding seem to go hand in hand.
Mei needs to be a little more courageous.
Lots of misunderstandings and insecurities in this episode.
This ending didn't feel like an ending at all.
I was kinda expecting more romance and sweetness.
To be completely honest, this final episode was disappointing.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I rated this series as Excellent despite the finale being a bit lackluster compared to some of the other episodes in terms of drama. Yet, the entire series was a sweet melody to watch imo with the drama and characters.

There's still an OVA left so looking forward to that as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 felt much more like a finale than 13 did. I kinda wish they had ended it there instead of this weird tacked on episode.

Overall, I liked this series, although not as much as the other 2 shoujos this season.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I gave this a good. I don't know why but I sort of got bored with it half way through. It was still a solid series. I still think Tonari was vastly superior to this one. What is the other shoujo that came out this season? Unless you count Sakurasao as a shoujo, which I do not.
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
What is the other shoujo that came out this season?

Kamisama Hajimemashita was the third shoujo of this season.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
What is the other shoujo that came out this season?

Kamisama Hajimemashita was the third shoujo of this season.

Wow I totally forgot about that one, I even watched the finale yesterday lol.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (final)

An episode of stupid misunderstandings, not a good choice to finish on when the characters alrady should have had enough faith.

I guess I might have some complaints about Mei being a bit too soft, where was that fiestiness that attracted Yamato at first, instead we had her being so soft in worrying what he thinks. We did get a little shot of her shoving him, but it was made comedic so it does not quite count. In comparison I prefered Shizuku for the fact she did not have to make herself more femenin, and Nanami was sympathetic with other people, but still did what she wanted. I still like Tachibana Mei, the choice of her slightly messy hair and long skirt is something I find particullary charming.

I guess I might complain that I really don't remember the last few episodes as it feels just bland, and trying to remember some high impact scenes is a little hard. How she fits into her group still felt a little weird, but it may be a cultural thing, and I can't say that I am always happy how some teenagers/kids may have more mature acting friends.

I rate the series as "Good", despite its problems it was still better than some other shows I have watched.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
ep.13

spoiler[so after mei & yamato have walk around next day yamato got cold with sister keep all watch on him with mei worry so everyone tell mei go visit yamato.

so mei go charge in try a call but denied by yamato's sister then retreat then got call from everyone with kai tell mei go charge so mei go again.

while yamato stuck with his sister got a call from lady stealer guy with said he find one girl to keep & also work in bakery with yamato in panic if tried going to steal mei?

yet mei try to knock still worry oh a boy with glasses come in for yamato's sister give also worry so mei help the boy charge in for have yamato's sister.

all good yet yamato to find mei yet did mei was there to see bakery & lady stealer guy had own female & not mei so all relax oh baker lady yikes then kai to rescue for yamato.

mei still worry more then yamato appear & etc everything all fine & kiss end.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I guess I might have some complaints about Mei being a bit too soft, where was that fiestiness that attracted Yamato at first, instead we had her being so soft in worrying what he thinks. We did get a little shot of her shoving him, but it was made comedic so it does not quite count. In comparison I prefered Shizuku for the fact she did not have to make herself more femenin, and Nanami was sympathetic with other people, but still did what she wanted. I still like Tachibana Mei, the choice of her slightly messy hair and long skirt is something I find particullary charming.

I watched this while I had a cold similar to Yamato's. There is no way I would have been able to get up and run around the city after some bint.

Mei. Although I liked this series I have to admit I was getting tired of her. And the stupid story about him not calling her after Nagi did her thing then running right past her where neither of them see each other and then his cell phone runs out of power RIGHT THEN -- that didn't help.

This story would have been much better if Mei had grown to the point that she didn't freak out at the idea of spending a night with Yamato (something she has done before!). It's like she reverts to being an eight year old. What happened to the girl with the bowling ball or the one that tackled Yamato in the school hallway? It's like that Mei disappeared.

Is it just me or did the artwork actually improve in the later episodes?

I rate this as above average. It could have been much much better by having Mei grow to be a young adult, but I guess they just didn't want that.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I kept laughing through the episode in all the places they tried getting dramatic/serious. this episode really tried too hard to create another pack of misunderstandings.

but overall the series taken with a grain of salt all this genre need was entertaining.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Episode 12 felt much more like a finale than 13 did. I kinda wish they had ended it there instead of this weird tacked on episode.

This was my biggest impression of the last episode as well. It seemed more like something that should have been in the middle of the series. At the end of episode 12 it felt like everything was more or less wrapped up and they had reached a good stopping point, so episode 13 felt really out of place.

I'm not a huge shoujo fan, but I'm not at all sorry I watched this series. I don't think it's something I would watch again, but it was entertaining enough.
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
So they showed all the couples at the end and it caused me to wonder.

You have Asami and boy, you have evil scarred stomach girl and boy, you have Nagi and the boy who has no name from this episode, you have Mei's mother and her father's picture, the stupid mohawk guy is solo, the idiot rapist guy and the other bakery girl, then it has spoiler[Momo and Megumi. Are they a canon yuri couple?]

Just wondering cause it feels right. Very Happy
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
A textbook shoujo romance. The execution was great, but there was nothing new or daring to separate it from dozens of other shoujo romances. I enjoyed watching it, but if you think about the great shoujo shows we've had in the past decade (Lovely Complex, Toradora, Kimi ni Todoke, Sweet Blue Flowers), this is definitely second tier. Or to use a pantheon metaphor, if Lovely Complex is Zeus, then Suki-tte is Perseus or something. I give it a 'B' overall (7.7 out of 10), and I think its chief weakness is how unoriginal it is. Nothing risked, nothing gained. I'll drop 30-40 bucks on this show if it comes stateside, since there aren't enough shoujo romances released, but it never blew me away with the emotional punches the best of the genre have.

And yeah, the final episode would have worked better as an add-on OVA than a final TV one. Surprised they didn't go that route. It was a bit of a flat way to end the show there.

//Now, I plan to spend the rest of the day watching American Armoured Wankball in order to restore my man card. I'd like to see the Lions knock the Bears out of the playoffs at least.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 13, I think, might have been meant to be a statement on the characteristic insecurities of being in a relationship. They don't ever really stop until you get to that point when you're married for a couple of decades and it turns from unabated romance into mere companionship. Mei and Yamato have gotten through some hurdles, but they're still a relatively young couple with many more to overcome as they grow and take more of the world unto themselves. Actually, I'd argue that it shows that the two of them have grown considerably because some of the misunderstandings that occurred would no doubt have made them assume that it was all over if they had happened much earlier in their relationship.

Which is not to say that it was really the best of finales, nor was episode 12, even. A part of me wishes it was a bit more dramatic, but then, a greater part is glad that they wrapped it up with the simplicity that has characterised the series from the beginning. Episode 13, apart from the above, was more or less an amusing demonstration of Murphy's Law.

I liked it. I would not count it as a favourite, being a bit too simple a formula for me, and it did not bring much of anything new to the table. But it demonstrated restraint. Finesse. Its simplicity was its major strength. Just about that only thing that it might have had wrong with it was its general lack of ambition, but I find myself seeing even that as part of the point.

I rather enjoyed Mei. It's difficult, sometimes, to justify her growing social life vs. the loss of her independent spirit. It is an obvious Japanese cultural thing: the ideal woman is submissive and clingy. To her credit, she was more level-headed and realistic about it. What I enjoyed the most, however, was her earlier self, right when she was getting to be social, but before she really understood how to love her man. She had (and still has) a curious ability to perceive the feelings of others and influence them in just the correct way in order to set them on the path toward happier times, despite having been almost entirely introverted and apathetic toward the activities of others up until that point. It is irony of a sort, but it is an irony that I, myself, could somewhat relate to, as I could be similarly described growing up.

Yamato, I was neutral about. Decent man, all popularity considered, but eh. Kai was the man that that I respected most in this series. He has interest in Mei, but rather than fight for her and probably tear her apart, he chooses to see to it that she is happy with what she has. In some ways, it takes more balls to do that than to prove that you have the willingness to fight for the object of your affections. He may have done it a tad too perfectly to be convincing, but it is an archetype that many try and fail to strive for. That said, I am not in favour of a KaixMei deal. I'm happy that he left things where he left them.

Not much more to say. I'll probably own it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Yamato, I was neutral about. Decent man, all popularity considered, but eh.

My biggest problem with Yamato was that he started out as a much more aggressive male than where he ended up. A completely different character without a convincing transition.

Where's the guy who pinned Mei against the wall in the alley and taught her about the different kinds of kisses she could get? The guy who supposedly nailed more than a few first years (including our gal Aiko)? The guy with friends that talked about "friends with benefits?"

All wrung out by the end of the story. A dewy eyed marshmallow who wouldn't dream of touching Mei in any way she did not explicitly approve in advance and convinced himself she was with another guy because of one intercepted phone call while she was walking over to see him. Eh, indeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12