• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Mazinger Z Super Robot TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I watched a few episodes of the fansubs for this (not the HK sub rips that are floating around) and wow, this show has not aged well. I'm still really interested in it, though, and will buy it once released.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
I've actually watched about 40 episodes of this, via a Hong Kong box set with HK subs. Sans the subs, it was pretty good. But, you have to be like me, and appreciate the episodic, monster-of-the-week scenario or you'll hate it. Awesome news, I may have to grab this. I've got all of Mazinkaiser, sans the 45 min ova. And, would like to add this and any other Mazinger/Shin Mazinger to my collection. And, pretty much any Go Nagai for that matter.

I'm fine with checking out modern reinterpretations with higher budgets, but straight up watching 70s super robot mecha is actually a place I don't typically go. There are some standouts, like Zambot 3, which is one of the first places you'll see mecha anime go darker in tone, followed up by parts of Gundam and Ideon. There's also 1982's Goshogun, which seems to have a very endearing story of evil being won over by good, but that's not been subbed beyond two episodes and the film.

Getter Robo, Grendizer, Mazinger, Gatchman; those are all bigger titles from the decade. It would be really interesting to see if they go into titles that were never touched before, like Zambot, Daitarn, Raideen, Combattler, Voltes, and so on. There's like 50 or so super robot series from the mid 70s to mid 80s that one could potentially choose, and then you have the revival in the early 90s with Sunrise's Brave series. I'd love to see these get picked up officially, but I'd hopefully like to see Discotek move into the 80s and grab some real robot series that absolutely weren't touched by the western world, after the licenses from the 70s stopped flowing: Panzer World Galient, Blue Comet SPT Layzner, Dougram, and Armor Hunter Mellowlink by Takahashi; Ideon, Xabungle, and L-Gaim by Tomino, and then the other odds and ends like Dragonar. There's vast untapped resources of anime from before 1990, the question is what will make money and what won't.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
MAZIN GO!

Kinda surprised that they picked the 70's original over the more contemporary (and shorter) Shin Mazinger, but I'll take what I can get...
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
This is Awesome news! I have been a fan of Go Nagai's Super Robots after watching Force Five. Grandizer was my favorite followed by Getter Robo G and Gaiking. Gaiking seemed like a Nagai Super Robot Series although he doesn't seem to be credited as creator. I have watched all eps of Ufo Robo Grendizer on Youtube, and would love to get the series finally on dvd. If Mazinger Z is a hit, maybe Great Mazinger could follow in 2014 along with Ufo Robo Grendizer, which would be celebrating it's 40th Anniversary in 2015! Hopefully that 40th would be celebrated with a region 1 dvd release!
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
This is Awesome news! I have been a fan of Go Nagai's Super Robots after watching Force Five. Grandizer was my favorite followed by Getter Robo G and Gaiking. Gaiking seemed like a Nagai Super Robot Series although he doesn't seem to be credited as creator. I have watched all eps of Ufo Robo Grendizer on Youtube, and would love to get the series finally on dvd. If Mazinger Z is a hit, maybe Great Mazinger could follow in 2014 along with Ufo Robo Grendizer, which would be celebrating it's 40th Anniversary in 2015! Hopefully that 40th would be celebrated with a region 1 dvd release!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's aware of Force Five. The anime that made of Force Five, I hope they can be license for US release in their uncut format. Here's hoping other old school anime could come to US. I would love other old mecha anime from the 70's and 80's could get pick up. Raideen would be awesome if it get a US release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tetsuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
I watched a few episodes of the fansubs for this (not the HK sub rips that are floating around) and wow, this show has not aged well. I'm still really interested in it, though, and will buy it once released.

The HK bootlegs have an awful picture quality, so I would expect that to give the impression that it looks bad.

If Discotek's Fist of the North Star releases are anything to go by, I expect their Mazinger DVDs to look a lot better than the bootlegs.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
MDO, The first movie channel my family had was Spotlight. Force Five was edited into movies. 4 or 5 episodes or parts of them were sold on gasp!, videotape. I had no idea Force Five included super robots that were also in Marvel's Shogun Warrior Comics. The Force Five I had wanted to see was a martial arts film. I quickly got over my disappointment. Spotlight repeated films as often as 3 times a day. Caveman, The Nude Bomb (Get Smart Feature Film), Megaforce became multi viewing experiences along with Go Nagai and his contemporaries fantastic Adventures. I equally love Space Battleship Yamato and Science Ninja Team Gatchaman released in the US as Starblazers and Battle Of The Planets, G-Force, Eagle Riders respectively. This is a great time to be an anime fan of the 70's 80's.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
MDO, The first movie channel my family had was Spotlight. Force Five was edited into movies. 4 or 5 episodes or parts of them were sold on gasp!, videotape. I had no idea Force Five included super robots that were also in Marvel's Shogun Warrior Comics. The Force Five I had wanted to see was a martial arts film. I quickly got over my disappointment. Spotlight repeated films as often as 3 times a day. Caveman, The Nude Bomb (Get Smart Feature Film), Megaforce became multi viewing experiences along with Go Nagai and his contemporaries fantastic Adventures. I equally love Space Battleship Yamato and Science Ninja Team Gatchaman released in the US as Starblazers and Battle Of The Planets, G-Force, Eagle Riders respectively. This is a great time to be an anime fan of the 70's 80's.

I grew up loving G-force, I've been watching the uncut version of Gatchaman from ADV Film online (I hope maybe Discotek could rescue Gatchaman when the license from ADV expired). I'm glad to see some of our old school anime that was first released edited are not getting unvut release. Gatchaman is not the first previously edited anime I'm watching uncut. The same goes for Macross/Robotech. As a matter of fact, I'm watching Robotech: The Macross Saga and ADV uncut dub of Macross side by side so I can compared both of them. Also I'm hoping discotek could maybe team up with Voyager Entertainment to give Yamato a uncut release. Hey it work for WEP when they team up with Media Blaster to release Go Lion and Dairugger XV (the 2 anime that make up Voltron) uncut, you can watch Voltron (the Lion one) and Go Lion (with English subs) on Youtube thanks to WEP. Also not too long ago, Right Stuf has picked up Rose of Versailles, another old school anime which for the first time will get a US release. Rose of Versailles is a very well known anime in Europe, I believe one of my co-worker who's from Italy love that show. I might buy the English version for her so her son could learn English. I do agree with you that this is a great time to be a old school anime fan, since a lot of anime these day are not quite as good as they were in early 2000. I'm hoping more old school anime (that include mecha) could get release in US, I never thought this would happen. I would love to see Discotek or Right Stuf to get Raideen, or Combattler.

Also kudo to you for mentiong Shogun Warriors, they're good toys and kinda surprise that's how people back in the 70's was the only way for American to be exposed to these early mecha anime. I believe Marvel Comic has Raideen, Combattler, and Voltes V appear in Marvel Comic. Also this led to the creation of Marvel's Red Ronin. I don't know why Marvel didn't give Red Ronin his own anime (Spiderman also derserve a anime adaptation since he's popular in Japan), Red Ronin was influenced by mecha anime, so don't you think Red Ronin should get a anime adaptation. If Marvel can give Wolverine, X-men, Iron Man, and Blade anime adaptation then why not Red Ronin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
I don't know if Discotek could do a total rescue from Gatchaman, because half of the extras were the admittedly gorgeous artwork Alex Ross made for the series.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Suddenly I have this strange impulse to buy. Thanks to a friend that turned me on to this old school burning spirit of robot shows I've been a fan of Go Nagai for years. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have all the homages that would come later, Dangaioh, GaoGaiGar, etc... I do have one of the newer series and I'm looking to collect more. But before I do I think I need to collect the source of all that is great and trying.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
MDO 7, Shogun Warriors was Raideen, Combattler V and Danguard Ace! Their base was Shogun Sanctuary, and they were trained by the Followers of Light. I thought it was really cool. Licensing issues have also likely stopped even a Marvel Essentials Shogun Warriors. Red Ronin was introduced in Marvel's Godzilla Comics! Red Ronin likely has the same problems that Rom Spaceknight, The Micronauts, and Shogun Warriors have with getting new media as the licenses expired. Marvel came out with a new Spaceknights Comic, but couldn't include ROM. I am quite content with Season 1 of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman as Berg Katse was only in that season. I am dying to see Yamato 2199 and Yamato Resurrection. Resurrection is arriving in region 1, but so far Funimation hasn't announced it yet. Of the Getter Sequels to Getter Robo G, I think Getter Robo Armageddon is the best.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I don't know if Discotek could do a total rescue from Gatchaman, because half of the extras were the admittedly gorgeous artwork Alex Ross made for the series.

Well if Sentai can rescue it, by all mean. I don't care who rescue Gatchaman, this is a good time for old school anime to get a US revival.

snake-eyes wrote:
MDO 7, Shogun Warriors was Raideen, Combattler V and Danguard Ace! Their base was Shogun Sanctuary, and they were trained by the Followers of Light. I thought it was really cool. Licensing issues have also likely stopped even a Marvel Essentials Shogun Warriors. Red Ronin was introduced in Marvel's Godzilla Comics! Red Ronin likely has the same problems that Rom Spaceknight, The Micronauts, and Shogun Warriors have with getting new media as the licenses expired. Marvel came out with a new Spaceknights Comic, but couldn't include ROM. I am quite content with Season 1 of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman as Berg Katse was only in that season. I am dying to see Yamato 2199 and Yamato Resurrection. Resurrection is arriving in region 1, but so far Funimation hasn't announced it yet. Of the Getter Sequels to Getter Robo G, I think Getter Robo Armageddon is the best.

I don't know how Red Ronin have any problem since Marvel Comics own that character. For the character Rom Spaceknight, Marvel Comics own the character right. How could there be legal problem for it, I don't really understand.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

I wouldn't mind a rescue of the show if they released it barebones & with screenshots from the show for covers. I want Gatchaman re-released that badly because it was a show I watched & enjoyed back when the old G-Force dub aired on Cartoon Network in the mid 90s and unfortunately I missed out on the previous singles of ADV's redub and with Discotek working with Tatsunoko these days (Casshan '93, Polymar '96, Samurai Pizza Cats, Tekkaman Blade II, Yatterman live-action), there's a good chance that we may get a re-release of the show and perhaps the two sequels that Saban used to have (remember Eagle Riders?) along with the 94 OVA that Urban Vision released in the past (which i wouldn't mind at all if it was released first to see if it sells like with the Fist Of The North Star movie).
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
MDO 7, Marvel does not own the Toy rights to ROM. They created the other Spaceknights.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
MDO 7, Marvel does not own the Toy rights to ROM. They created the other Spaceknights.

Yeah I know, but Red Ronin isn't owned by any other company other then Marvel so now I'm wondering why Marvel hasn't give Red Ronin a anime adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3