• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic and Kingdom of Magic (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
It was a good final episode overall, although perhaps a bit anti-climactic with the way the battle played out. I did like that spoiler[Titus was resurrected], but I thought he should not have appeared so quickly like that. It made it seem excessively cheesy, kind of like they were just pandering to fangirls of him by having spoiler[him come back immediately, fully returned to his normal age/size (but of course with even more beautiful hair! lol). I would have preferred to see him reborn as a baby or child or something at the end, and maybe Marga could go to Leam and watch after him until he gets older again.] That would have seemed much less corny. However, as someone mentioned, maybe they were anticipating that there might not be a 3rd season so they decided to wrap things up with him in a neat little bow.

Magi has been somewhat up and down for me as a show. I think it deserves Very Good at a minimum, but it is hard for me to say that I should definitely rate it higher. The show has a lot of really cool characters, awesome ideas/concepts, and a compelling story. However, the execution was lacking in several episodes (it seemed like the writing often "underplayed" the potential of all of the solid ideas/characters/etc.) and so that's why I think Very Good is probably the best option for this season.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Magi: Sinbad no Bouken

So that is how lizard man looked as a human.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Sinbad OVA 1

I'm actually very disappointed with this. Someone as cool and wise as Sinbad shouldn't have been given a generic optimistic protagonist backstory. On another note the animation is actually much better than it was in the original series but the music is just terrible. Why on earth did they ditch the orchestra they had?!!?!!?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Sinbad's hair is pretty cool but yeah, the episode felt kinda rushed and they should use the original OST from Season 1 which I enjoyed. I kinda liked the episode though since it sets up for the next episode which I think debuts this Summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
Sinbad, OVA 1

So we get to see Sinbad start from humble beginnings, with no real spoiler[heritage of being a king he will make himself to be a true one from people destroying their own people].

As for music, hasn't the show often tried to be culturally relevant with its soundtrack? Actually sounds like they ignored the culture and gone for a more usual anime soundtrack, with the exception of at the end when spoiler[Sinbad sees the inside of the labyrinth]. Makes me wonder if there was some point to it, although I have not been well enough lately to try and pull it apart to look for a reason. If they do intend to do different dungeons it could be that they are planning to only use the big cultural music pieces for different dungeons?

On a personal note, the site I used had terrible quality so I really could not tell if there was much of a difference animation wise. Also I can't seem to find any encyclopedia pages for these OVA, all I can find is a 1960's movie with a 1970's series that hilariously shares the same name as the OVAs.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Sinbad, OVA 2

Because we didn't know Sinbad was awesome enough already, we get to watch him spoiler[take out some sort of dragon king]. Really cool.

Good thing I made sure to watch after the credits, a pretty cool scene of spoiler[him messing with the princess]. But those actions are going to get spoiler[him in trouble one day, and none of his friends will have faith in him].

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Sinbad's nickname should be Sinbadass. Why? Because the way he took on that dungeon and also the way he fought against that spoiler[Serendine woman.] Oh that ending was just priceless.

One more episode left~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19