• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Zero, K-ON Wins Top Prizes in Newtype Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm missing the new Evangelion by not watching Idolm@ster or if it just got a shitload of awards for its moe stuff. The comments here don't offer any more than "K-ON but with actual idols" so really, I don't get it.

Newtype is the biggest otaku magazine in Japan, so the stuff that gets awards will be hits among otaku. So if you don't fall into that kinda audience, you likely won't really get much value out of their picks.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Voice actors are clearly chosen for the characters they played more so than their acting but I am glad to see Kamiya Hiroshi ranked so highly, regardless of why (bias speaking)

Too bad he isn't in any of the fall shows, I think it's because he is promoting his new CD.

And I do agree with Japanese Otaku when it comes to Rider's high placement as well.

Also glad to see appreciation for Penguin Drum. Although my top list would look very different.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
So awards are cool now? Laughing
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
TeenChibi wrote:

For me, The iDOLM@STER set a whole new standard for "moé" anime by making the characters not only keep their quirks, but also allow them to have such impressive character development.

This sorta demonstrates that you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, Idolmaster did that. Its hardly the first "moe" show to do so.

Don't know what you're talking about. I never stated that it was the first. I was talking about The iDOLM@STER specifically. Though, there are some other examples, The iDOLM@STER surprised me the most with what it had to offer.

The "For me" part was there for a reason as I was clearly speaking relatively about my experiences with certain anime.
scineram

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
Idolmaster was good, but not consistently great. Also Hyouka trounces it on the stuff that was good in it.
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Too bad he isn't in any of the fall shows, I think it's because he is promoting his new CD.

Has Shirokuma Café ended or something?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

He's also doing Ixion Saga DT and Saint Seiya Omega, so I'd say he's doing his normal workload.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
scineram wrote:

He's also doing Ixion Saga DT and Saint Seiya Omega, so I'd say he's doing his normal workload.

I didn't know about Ixion Saga DT, so thanks. I wonder how big his role is.

But anyways Shirokuma Cafe & Saint Seiya are ongoing series. I meant to say he isn't really taking on much new stuff this fall.

A lot of people expected him to be in K & Magi and I think normally he would show up in series like that so I just think he cut it down a bit this season because of other things going on.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote

http://myanimelist.net/anime/14765/Ixion_Saga_DT/characters

According to MAL, he plays one of the two main characters.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/14765/Ixion_Saga_DT/characters

According to MAL, he plays one of the two main characters.

Somehow that makes me feel a bit better (even though I don't think I have any interest in that series).
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Fate zero rocked the charts (rightfully if I may add). No series stood out for me as much as Fate/Zero this year, AO was alright but nothing major. Other highlights would be Hyouka and Nisemonogatari, though both are "ok" at best imo. Not the best year for anime, but not the worst. Looking forward to 2013~
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Idolm@ster deserves awards more than fate/zero.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Idolmaster getting best script writing is a joke.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Glad to see that Idolmaster got so much love. Its a really underappreciated series in the West.

Due note that the entry to the series in the West was pretty high back then (after the arcade release) - import a JP Xbox 360 which not many people did and the language barrier.

The PSP release helped a little bit due to regionfreeness and im@s 2 on the PS3 again removed the console barrier and also enough walkthroughs and faqs are out there to appreciate the game.

It's still mostly a foreign franchise to Westerners maybe besides the basic plot.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the K-On! film yet, I don't currently have the big "import Blu-Ray" bucks like I did when the Haruhi movie got released on Blu-Ray and I don't want my first viewing of the K-On! film to be a fansub, but K-On! is one of my favourite anime from the past decade and I am pleased to see it win a movie award instead of yet another film from Bloody Studio Overrated Ghibli, even though I know it's just a Newtype reader award where current Ghibli output isn't put on nearly as high a pedestal over all other anime as the mainstream Japanese Academy puts it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Voice actors are clearly chosen for the characters they played more so than their acting but I am glad to see Kamiya Hiroshi ranked so highly, regardless of why (bias speaking)

Kamiya is in Ixion Saga DT. He's also continuing his roles in Shirokuma Cafe and Saint Seiya Omega.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3