• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ixion Saga DT (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Ixion Saga Dimensional Transfer

Genres: action, fantasy

Based on the game by Capcom.
Hokaze Kon is an otherwise normal boy who, one day, receives an inter-dimensional summons to the world of Mirror. He appears just in time to save the life of Princess Ecarlate, whose enemies are trying to prevent her political marriage. Kon, who knows nothing about Mirror nor the way home, attaches himself to Ecarlate's entourage.

Number of Episodes: 12

ANN Link
AniDB Link
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this show, but it was oddly competent. I probably won't stick with it, but there are definitely a few good laughs in there.

It's one of those hyperactive shows that is kinda-sorta-but-not-really parody. It reminds me of Needless more than anything else.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

spoiler[From a gamer to an actual knight.
I bet that kid never expected something like that.
The whole situation was pretty LOL
Lots of guys in this anime though.
I was kinda surprised by that.
Interesting anime, pretty fun too.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this show, but it was oddly competent. I probably won't stick with it, but there are definitely a few good laughs in there.

It's one of those hyperactive shows that is kinda-sorta-but-not-really parody. It reminds me of Needless more than anything else.

Pretty much agree with this, except I probably will stick with it, assuming it doesn't start to suck wind at some point. Love MC's kicky new boots.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Another RPG style theme series. I'll probably stick with this as well.

Lol @ the trap. I knew it was a trap based on his voice as I originally thought it was strange. Ah, this pilot episode was amusing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
First episode was pretty good, I thought it was pretty funny when he started hitting on *searches name* Mariandale, and by the spoiler[voice it was obviously a dude.]

Seems that guy going into real game seem to be comming out like crazy, at least this series seems to be somewhat self aware. I am interested in learning more about the princess, she might be interesting.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Let me ask you guys a question. Obviously at the start the MC is playing some kind of MMO game. Did you interpret what happens next as...

A) spoiler[Him getting sucked into his videogame somehow (and all the poeple there are just other players).]

or

B) spoiler[Him getting sucked into some alternate world that just happens to resemble his fantasy game and all the people there are real people.]

I initially assumed the former but then someone claimed the latter in the preview thread. Now I'm rather curious how other people interpreted it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd go with B, since his real life body is there. I like the bit that he was in socks since he was at home.

I'm not sure there is a significent difference if it obeys fantasy world physics.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else find it weird that after SAO, we get Btooom! and this? Video games are apparently very in style for anime right now.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So is it just me or are a lot of people totally missing the fact that this whole thing is basically one big absurdist parody? I find it quite entertaining when looked at that way, enough so that I might actually continue to watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I think people are reserving judgment. There are a lot of shows that float along the edge of parody, and poke at the 4th wall, but aren't true parodies. I mentioned Needless, but you could think of Tower of Druaga along these lines, too. Maybe even Soul Eater. They're poking fun at their genres, but making no effort to be separate from them.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So is it just me or are a lot of people totally missing the fact that this whole thing is basically one big absurdist parody? I find it quite entertaining when looked at that way, enough so that I might actually continue to watch it.

How would one describe these kinds of series? Half-gag? They do have serious characters and a story to follow, but the entire show is some sort of knowing joke, though never stretched too far so the humor remains ever-present under the surface. That humor will bubble up as often as the show requires, but disappears when more serious things happen on-screen. Bakuretsu Hunters, parts of Those Who Hunt Elves, most of Druaga, and a few others are like this. They're all well and good, but sometimes it is nice to get a fully serious RPG/fantasy anime that isn't overwrought on JRPG/MMO styling. I'll watch this one when convenient, but I'm not expecting too much from it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
@ ikc - I assumed option b, but given the omnipresence of things like SAO and Accel World recently, I don't blame someone for thinking it was option a.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Let me ask you guys a question. Obviously at the start the MC is playing some kind of MMO game. Did you interpret what happens next as...

A) spoiler[Him getting sucked into his videogame somehow (and all the poeple there are just other players).]

or

B) spoiler[Him getting sucked into some alternate world that just happens to resemble his fantasy game and all the people there are real people.]

I initially assumed the former but then someone claimed the latter in the preview thread. Now I'm rather curious how other people interpreted it.

I assumed the former as well, and even when he wasn't recognizing any of the places or characters or names, I just assumed it was in a different part of the game world. I mean, he was JUST talking to someone in the game who said "see you soon" and then *poof* so to me it makes sense that it would be the same world.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'd go with the later choice.

You 80's kids should recognize the scenario as a sort of modern RPG fantasy version of The Last Starfighter, the kid has played a game that has trained him in the skills he needs to know to defeat the real bad guys.

...it's a weak analogy but I think that's basically what's going on.

The reviews convinced me to watch this episode and it does seem like it can be a fun show. But it does probably have the drawback that it might not be as fun for a guy like me that does not play these games and generally has a low threshold of tolerence for Sword and Sorcery stories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13