• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam 00 Special Edition to Ship in Japan in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
I hope this isn't the "movie" we were promised.

All extra scenes should involve Bad Haro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
These are the types of things that I despise. A direct to video recap that they will charge top-dollar for. It does absolutely nothing, it's pointless. Maybe if you want to re-watch the show at a fraction of the time, but then why not just watch the parts of the shows that you want to see?

These aren't even the ones that go into theaters, making it okay to see again. I hate these releases.

Quote:
They will feature some new animated sequences and some partially re-recorded dialogue.

And before anyone starts wagging this around, that basically means they might put in some narration at points and add in inane prologues or epilogues. A Gurren Lagann movie this is not. That may have recapped a lot, but at least it had a decent amount of REAL new animation.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
They said in the article it wasn't related to the movie, but I agree these kind of things are dumb. I have to think they make something on this if they continue to do it, but...I don't see why anyone would buy horribly edited recap.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I hope this isn't the "movie" we were promised.

All extra scenes should involve Bad Haro.

The movie is schedule for next year and Mizushima already said that he hopes the screenplay will be finished by the fall, the article stated that these are three complication movies and the series already gave mention of the movie coming out in 2010 at the end.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote
It's a noticable trend that is involved with the Gundam franchise. They've already done compilation movies for Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Turn A Gundam, Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. Honestly, I'm kind of interested what changes will be made.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
It's a noticable trend that is involved with the Gundam franchise. They've already done compilation movies for Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Turn A Gundam, Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. Honestly, I'm kind of interested what changes will be made.

And with the exception of the Zeta compilation, all of them have turned out pretty good by essentially eliminating unnecessary aspects or weaknesses of the tv series so it'll flow better in this format and given how fans of shown some distaste in S2 It'll be interesting to see how they address these problems.
mechayakuza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
ninjaclown wrote:

And with the exception of the Zeta compilation, all of them have turned out pretty good by essentially eliminating unnecessary aspects or weaknesses of the tv series so it'll flow better in this format and given how fans of shown some distaste in S2 It'll be interesting to see how they address these problems.

I take it you've never seen the Turn A compilation movies. They're edited down to the point of being barely comprehensible. The SEED compilations aren't much better, either.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
The update said that this is DIFFERENT from the Gundam 00 movie thingy (but don't they have a Gundam SEED movie in production?).

But this is great! I wonder if Bandai will release something like this dubbed later in like...2010 or something? That'd be so cool! Deleted scenes and re-recorded dialogue. I wonder what this'll be about? Smile
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
The update said that this is DIFFERENT from the Gundam 00 movie thingy (but don't they have a Gundam SEED movie in production?).

Both are being worked on by different teams (Fukuda just reconfirmed the Seed movie a few weeks ago), so it shouldn't really matter.
Strike Freedom Meister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I do have the Gundam SEED compilation. While some of the editing and revision is nice, they tend to do too much with their surgical scalpal. I honestly felt that the Gundam SEED movies needed at least one more DVD, because they cut way too much from the first 11 episodes.

I'm still working on collecting MS Gundam and the movie, but the DVD's are getting so much harder and in some cases expensive to collect in North America. I would love to get my hands on the other movie adaptations, finishing 0083 Stardust Memories (Only missing the 3rd disk.), IGLOO, and whatever else I don't have.

Hopefully, North America will eventually get the same DVD compilation. Three DVD's is much easier to load on an iPod than 50. It would be nice if Bandai and iTunes would get their act together.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
so, am i to understand that these three movies will only be covering the first 25 episodes, and that there will presumably be 3 more movies covering the second half of the series later?

honestly, while it may mean more dvds to buy, it actually sounds a lot more manageable to me than trying to chop up ~50 episodes to fit into three 90min movies. i mean, they'll only have to cut out a little over half the original content instead of over three quarters of it... wait, what's the point to this again?
Wellness

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I actually can see these working out better then previous Special Editions.

00's first season was indeed something of a three act story arc, with the introduction of Celestial Being, the global Super powers' attempts to capture/destroy the Gundams and obviously the final battles of the season, setting up season two. As long as there are three or so special editions for each season, it shouldn't be that bad.

Completely unnecessary for all but the most hardcore Gundam 00 fan but there is enough material that it shouldn't be complete waste.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1