• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams 'Altered' Charger Girl Ju-den Chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
To CR's credit, they're not an adults-only website, and to my knowledge do not have a fully-implemented age verification system or legal disclaimers for adult content.
Although a general viewing audience won't mind the fact the show is censored, others may be inclined to view it in a manner contrary to CR's intentions upon reading this news. That is to say, legal streaming means could in this case be shunned by some of the title's viewing audience.

They already have an 18+ verification system and have seen it used before.

But none of CR's shows need to use it, including this. The only shows that should be R18 is hentai, just like Japan. For the rest, restricting to age 14+ is enough. (I don't understand why people think teenagers are somehow naive innocent little children)

I think this censoring has more to do with AT-X and less to do with CR in general. AT-X wants to have exclusivity in uncensored content.
Fuku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
I guess girls with nice tits and developed bodies are now lolis? Just because Bow Ditama's art style makes the characters have a more rounded look doesn't mean it's loli. Also I love the moral crusaders for stuff like this. If blatant T&A like this is not your cup of tea then don't watch it. I'm seeing some of the same kind of complaints as Queen's Blade had. This type of anime isn't going away anytime soon and there is room for a non super serious anime. And I'm enjoying it so far since it's pretty damn amusing. I give it a 10/10 so far!
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
Honestly I liked this more than QB, mostly cause the of the lack of overly sized breasts flying around every two seconds.

Anyway, this one's at pparker...about how old are you? Cause I remember a lil ol' cartoon known as Heavy Metal. It might not have had urination in it, but it had pretty much everything else. The idea of such things in media is as old as Playboy, it's just that there's more people speaking out trying to "protect the children" so they don't get hurt. Also, you can't really sum up the series as that since, well, it was only a relatively small part of the first episode. That said, god forbid anyone ever go incontinent when they get beaten with a baseball bat or electrocuted or anything.

That said, I have to also agree on the consensus on CR, in that they shouldn't have picked it up just to censor it. All they're doing is shooting themself in the leg to try to make the gaping wound a little smaller.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:55 am Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
what a step backwards 4 CR

Online streaming is still learning to walk, a step backwards would be censored DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Isn't the majority of users under the age of 18 in the first place?

I wonder....

*shrugs.* Well, ironically, people wanted SIMULCAST versions of the tv series in which you get in Japan. You're not going to see all that on public television, right? Unless I'm completely wrong and they do air uncut versions on TV.

I really don't get the difference. It's uncut on DVDs. That sounds about right to me.

It's not about "being in the 90's." this reasoning is crap.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
It's not just about being cut and uncut, it's also about the different levels of it being cut, as well as cutting one scene, but not another that's exactly like it. For instance, even in the less censored version, the chest area of the suit that Plug is in is rather dark, while if you pay attention to the ending, it's more see-through. Thing is, people will try to go for th least censored version available, which, at the moment, just so happens to not be from CR. As mentioned before, it might not be purely their fault, but then why grab up something like this anyway?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
It's not just about being cut and uncut, it's also about the different levels of it being cut, as well as cutting one scene, but not another that's exactly like it. For instance, even in the less censored version, the chest area of the suit that Plug is in is rather dark, while if you pay attention to the ending, it's more see-through. Thing is, people will try to go for th least censored version available, which, at the moment, just so happens to not be from CR. As mentioned before, it might not be purely their fault, but then why grab up something like this anyway?

Because Avex asked them to stream it? Crunchyroll isn't exactly in a position to say "no" to a simulcast show of (almost) any sort.
Miitan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Annf wrote:

You'll have to excuse Zac. He's a big fan of lolita characters and likes to bring up the topic, even if it's not directly related to the show. What he probably meant to say was, "I wish this show had peeing lolis in it. Sad"

I can't make a joke without someone being a dick about it, and hey, here's the proof!

Yes, but when your jokes consist of the same old "LOLI HURRR" every time, you can't honestly be surprised when someone calls you on it.
melonbread

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
I thought I couldn't dislike Crunchyroll any more than I already did.

This this happens.....

Oh dear. How absolutely pathetic. Way to push people back onto watching unedited fansubs.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Because Avex asked them to stream it? Crunchyroll isn't exactly in a position to say "no" to a simulcast show of (almost) any sort.

They should've just come out and said that that's all they can get due to the publisher's deal with AT-X, rather than the typical politically correct excuse. People would be much more understanding of the situation.

It was the same situation with Queen's Blade. AT-X got the uncensored version while all other stations got the censored version. There's nothing preventing the other stations from airing the uncensored version at the late time slot (just like how one of the Sekirei episodes was aired completely uncensored) except for these artificial business restrictions.

I'll be sticking with the fansubs for this one obviously.
(Although it makes no difference to CR since they're getting my money anyways)
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Honestly I liked this more than QB, mostly cause the of the lack of overly sized breasts flying around every two seconds.

Anyway, this one's at pparker...about how old are you? Cause I remember a lil ol' cartoon known as Heavy Metal.

Old enough that I saw Fritz the Cat when it premiered in theaters (I treasure my DVD). Fritz was the first X-rated cartoon. And to be clear, I wasn't talking about teenagers having access, but 12 and 10 year olds, maybe even 13, though I guess 13 is the new 16. I'm not a prude, but I believe age matters in relation to content. The majority of responsible parents of young children would not consider this appropriate entertainment.

My personal opinion is that it's a crappy show story and character-wise. Aside from my not enjoying an unfunny guy literally beating the piss out of a girl with heavy instruments... a pun!... and certainly not enjoying watching said substance streaming down her legs each time, the premise is lame, the art is mediocre at best, the story is cliched and seems inconsistent already in the first 20 minutes, and the stereotyped characters are either unlikeable or uninteresting. Shades of Akikan. But whether I like it or not is off the point and is an opinion worth no more or less than anyone else's (for comparison, I've watched all three seasons of Ikkitousen, some more than once, and I'll watch them all again someday. It ain't great art, but it's good entertainment.).

Point is, I do think CR is silly for inviting backlash by being the source/sponsor of the censorship, but I think they are even sillier for streaming this anime at all.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
really the people freaking out and saying they won't buy a crunchyroll membership because of this were never going to buy one anyways so who care.

this is not the only anime on the site they have many great animes streamed in high quality video. its cheap and it feels great to have access to so many great tittles without the need to download torrents.

i mean wow this will not hurt crunchyroll accept in the audience of creepy adults, so i really think it should just end.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyroll released the following statement:
Due to the nature of the original AT-X version, Crunchyroll chose to air the censored version of Charger Girl Ju-den Chan to ensure the protection of our younger audiences and allow all audiences to watch and enjoy Charger Girl Ju-den Chan.

Anyone else find some hypocrisy in this statement? They want to 'protect' younger views by showing them an edited version of an adult show? They want to market a clearly adult show to a younger audience by editing out bits? That just doesn't seem right. Of course, from previous posts, it sounds more like Japanese company avex is behind this more than crunchyroll. I'm not a fan, but I gotta credit them that it sounds like they're not the ones who called for censorship. Though their statement is rather contradictory.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
It was the same situation with Queen's Blade. AT-X got the uncensored version while all other stations got the censored version. There's nothing preventing the other stations from airing the uncensored version at the late time slot (just like how one of the Sekirei episodes was aired completely uncensored) except for these artificial business restrictions.

No, there are still some broadcast standards that they have to adhere to. (And I'm pretty sure both Queen's Blade and Juuden fall on the "cannot air uncensored" side of them.) The whole "fog censorship" thing isn't just a marketing tool.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
Really? I thought it was just a matter of airing time for this kind of stuff. Like that uncensored Sekirei episode that aired on Tokyo MX which has the same level of fanservice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6