• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams 'Altered' Charger Girl Ju-den Chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
Internet Streaming will not work untill ceratin issues, this one included. Are fixed.

And, technialy, we got a FUTUREcast of this show. But it's a bad future.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote
"If you can't release it uncensored, then don't license it in the first place"
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Because Avex asked them to stream it? Crunchyroll isn't exactly in a position to say "no" to a simulcast show of (almost) any sort.

Well, they'd better learn how to say "no," because events like this one are bad publicity for Crunchy within their target audience. Becoming known for censorship won't attract new members, especially new, paying members. It would make some sense if the uncensored version was shown to paid subscribers, but not offering the uncensored version at all seems like a mistake to me from a marketing perspective.

I realize there are deals where licensors are pressured to take on a less-appealing show as part of a package with another, more popular series. But this is different. Crunchy now has over a hundred shows in its library; I think they've become sufficiently established that they can afford to say no now and then.

I'd be willing to give some credence to pressures by AT-X to preserve its monopoly on the uncensored version if Crunchyroll were available to Japanese viewers. Torrents and illegal streaming provide bigger competitors to AT-X than Crunchy.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I'd be willing to give some credence to pressures by AT-X to preserve its monopoly on the uncensored version if Crunchyroll were available to Japanese viewers. Torrents and illegal streaming provide bigger competitors to AT-X than Crunchy.

Actually, I think the logic is a bit different for the true reasoning.

Assume for a moment that CR streamed the uncensored version: They would have to put it behind an "over 18 only" wall on their site like they've done with a few past shows.

That's fine, except the average age of a CR "anime member" is like, 17. That'd cut the number of "member" views by almost 60%, and those are very important when it comes to the amount of money that avex gets from the streams.

Instead, they stream the censored version to all CR members, and even if it loses some views because of the censorship it's probably less than the loss that would have occurred among anime member views with the age-lock.

Of course, the BEST solution would have been to stream the censored version to those under 18 and the uncensored to those over 18 completely transparently, but I don't think their website is even set up for that. And it would draw unneeded attention to the fact there is censoring at all.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
In the end, just be thankful and grow up!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
In the end, just be thankful and grow up!

Thankful for something stupid that I don't want? Why? I want the uncensored version, so I just have to download it.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I know everyone is complaining about things being "censored"
but this still goes back to the fact that since it's simulcast, was this uncensored when it aired in Japan on TV? Because whatever station had the broadcasting rights at that time were the ones to make the decision to edit it, at least I would assume so. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I don't even see this as a difference if it was aired on regular cable or public TV. Shows in the US are edited to a certain extent, and you get to see it uncut on DVD after wards.

And er...if it can't be released "uncensored, not to license it" is such a silly response. Most likely, it would be released uncensored, that's why it was on DVD. It's available on the site now, but no actual company has the rights to license it yet. And if it were available on DVD, if you already download it now, I highly doubt any will end up buying the DVD period. Meh...

I can't believe fanservice has gotten so much ridiculous attention. This show must be horrible.

I see people making the same complaints but honestly none of them make any sense or justification. Where am I going wrong here? =/
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
was this uncensored when it aired in Japan on TV?

The CR press release explains to some degree, but yes, Charger Girl airs uncensored in Japan.

Currently, it only airs on one single station in Japan, AT-X, which is a premium satellite channel (2000 yen/month). The show's broadcast has the "youth-restricted viewing" flag set on it so parents can set the satellite receiver box to block it if desired. The show is comparable to, for example, HBO original productions in the U.S., where it serves as exclusive content to encourage people to subscribe to AT-X.

It looks like a lot of the fuss over the CR stream is that CR themselves presented in their press release that it was CR's own idea to censor it for their audience. If CR's press release had treated only getting the censored version the same way they treat license restrictions, i,e,. "we wish we could do it differently, but this is all they'll give us," the reaction would probably be different.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
And er...if it can't be released "uncensored, not to license it" is such a silly response. Most likely, it would be released uncensored, that's why it was on DVD. It's available on the site now, but no actual company has the rights to license it yet. And if it were available on DVD, if you already download it now, I highly doubt any will end up buying the DVD period. Meh...

Before you start calling people silly, could you explain yourself better? It's very unclear what you're talking about here and how it relates to the topic at hand.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Before you start calling people silly, could you explain yourself better? It's very unclear what you're talking about here and how it relates to the topic at hand.

I did not call anyone silly. I'm saying that not all shows are release uncensored. Apparently this show aired on a cable/satellite channel, and as the article stated, it will be re-broadcast edited on UHF channels. This move on CR isn't surprising or terrible to me, IMO.

I'm saying it's going to be uncensored on DVD regardless, and some companies do make changes to the animation prior to it being on DVD. (I mean animation clean ups, etc.) Crunchyroll may have the right to simulcast it, but CR is not a company that distributes the series for domestic release (Funi, Viz, etc). That's why I said what I said. If it was released domestically, it most likely would not be censored. Once the DVD is available, who is going to buy it? I'm guessing that the fansubs are either recorded from the live broadcast or the DVD is available (And I don't think DVDs are out yet).

Either way, someone already cleared it up for me, so don't worry about it. I still feel that this censoring crap is really odd, but what can I say, I'm not heavily into fanservice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6