• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you feel about American cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you describe your relationship with cartoons
Love them
22%
 22%  [ 46 ]
Like them
29%
 29%  [ 59 ]
Indifferent towards them
15%
 15%  [ 32 ]
Dislike most of them (there are a few exceptions)
23%
 23%  [ 48 ]
Hate them (won't touch any of them)
7%
 7%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 201

Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Megabattimus wrote:
I LOVE cartoons. Love them a lot.

Thinking about it, I've probably watched MORE cartoons than I have anime.

Oh wow. I can't believe I never thought about comparing them. Anime hyper

.......it would be interesting to see the ratio though. But I'm fairly certain anime=more, in my case.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't generally like them unless they're the kind that take themselves more seriously than the rest and are a bit more sophisticated. The problem with American animation is that there is too much comedy and not enough serious material. I am a rather large fan of several though, for instance I own X-Men TAS, Batman TAS, Justice League, Justice League: Unlimited, Gargoyles, Roughnecks: Starship Trooper Chronicles, and Star Wars: Clone Wars.
darknessblades

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
i say it is just a f*ckup of japanese anime

some are a little good like
southpark
family guy
amarican dad
simpsons
cleveland show
futurerama

but for the rest it ruins the view of original japanese anime
like pokemon (banned episodes in the usa) arnt allowed to be watched

im not telling the names there is an reason why they are banned but you can find tem online
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
Most of the American cartoons I like have already been mentioned, except Archer. Come on, you guys got to step up your game Wink
Kushie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
American cartoons tend to lack both depth and visual appeal compared to anime for a number of reasons...

Often times the shows are very childish or hyper and simply don't have the level of story-telling that most anime shows do. Plus American Cartoons are mostly all about violence or super-heros, but barely any other aspect of other themes.

The episodes tend to skip around. There might be a two-day episode continuation and then the plot will dissolve and it'll be a brand new plot the next day completely devoid of anything prior.

The first show to ever get me caught on Anime was sailormoon. As a young female I was interested in the art-style but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. I knew it wasn't American, because most of the american cartoon shows had lower-quality, very he-man hulk orientated and lacked a female lead that didn't look like an old broom-hilda in superman tights.

Sailormoon had pretty female leads, the artwork was pretty, it was romantic, the bad-guys weren't all just straight "bad-guys" but they had their reasons for what they did, and people actually died in the show! Plus the characters had more personality and different face-expressions I never seen before in American Cartoons. Plus all the female characters were very pretty and the males were hot to look at!

While America was pushing out "Captain Planet" and the "Magic School Bus" I was watching Sailormoon!

My Little Pony is okay, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Magica Madoka.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
Most of the American cartoons I like have already been mentioned, except Archer. Come on, you guys got to step up your game Wink
I mentioned it, I find it very humorous, like the pouched eggs thing.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My Little Pony is okay, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Magica Madoka

Since the former is targeted towards preschoolers I would be very worried if they were even comparable.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Quote:
My Little Pony is okay, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Magica Madoka

Since the former is targeted towards preschoolers I would be very worried if they were even comparable.

...My Little Pony is not targeted towards preschoolers. But I agree that the comparison is ridiculous.

I don't know if I've seen anyone mention Green Lantern: The Animated Series yet, so I wanna give a shout out to that. It's one of my favorite new shows! Great characters, great story arc for the first season, and very pretty animation! I thought I wouldn't like it at first (I've never been into Green Lanterns), but I'm very happy to say that I was wrong.

That said, I don't watch as many animated shows as I once did, American or otherwise. Other than going to anime club once a week, GL:TAS and Young Justice are the only animated shows on my roster, I think. I'm much more likely to watch reality TV or live-action stuff. I suppose I'll watch Korra when it comes back, although I was really disappointed with the first season.

I grew up on Captain Planet, Magic School Bus, and Rugrats--- AND Digimon and Sailormoon. I've always loved the medium of animation, so I'm glad anime is as popular as it is. That said, the newest cartoon I'm looking forward to? Miraculous Ladybug, a French cartoon coming in 2013. Anime smile
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I love animation in general especially the classic animation, or the 90's and 80's animation. But as for modern animation I can only find a few that aren't horrible. Spongebob was wonderful and was my favorite show for a majority of my childhood (along with Rugrats) but after the movie it started to become horrible, and it makes me sick.

I'd have to say the best ones now a days are definently Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Gravity Falls. All of them have a certain charm that I haven't seen in cartoons in the longest time. (At least since Invader Zim got canceled.) With Gravity Falls hidden Inuendo's to Regular Shows Adult Jokes as well as the 80's and 90's references to Adventure Times Character Development, Story line, character design, backgrounds and basically everything. I can't help but love and support those shows. As for canceled shows that I just got into I'd have to say Courage the Cowardly dog, Avatar the last Airbender and Invader Zim are the ones I'm the most into. All in which have become famous in recent years. (As for shows I'm going to try out Tiny Toons and Animaniacs are more than likely the ones that I'm going to search up.) Since both were almost extinct by the time I was able to enjoy them.

A few others I really liked from Middle School were Chowder and one of my all time favorite shows The Misadventures of Flapjack, I mean that show was not only crazy, it was actually really scary and dark. I guess every childhood has to have one show that scared them to death (Mine was Courage the Cowardly dog, one of my current favorites) and this show was the one for the 2000's babies. So yeah, I love animation and anime. Both have their perks and both amaze me and inspire me.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
As for canceled shows that I just got into I'd have to say Courage the Cowardly dog, Avatar the last Airbender and Invader Zim are the ones I'm the most into.

Wait, what. That show was not canceled. It ran exactly as long as they planned it to. ._.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
@Kushi
I feel the same way! Japan seems to just be more willing to use animation to tell wonderful stories. Chiibi's answers to shows about romance is a key example. None of those are romance cartoons. They had to resort to naming comedy or action cartoons which had a subplot of a character crushing on another. They are nowhere near the level of a show revolving entirely around romance like Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. The romance and maturity in Sailor Moon you mentioned out does them alone! I look at cartoons today and cartoons like Adventure Time with it's simple and ugly art style and cheap designs. It is very sad to see the medium here be treated that way and such low standards is presented towards children is acceptable and encouraged. You look in Japan and see the high standards children's animation over there has, and it is amazing they can produce so much at that quality. We can't even get one! I find that amazing. Shows like One Piece and Magi being typical kids shows amazes me in comparison with the topics and genres they tackle which are unmatched in American animation. I'm envious Japanese kids get to grow up with those shows and we did not.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I chose I Like them. I mean if we're going to encompass all that would fall under American Cartoons then American animated movies fall under that as well. Just as anime feature length movies fall under the anime category. I grew up on "American" cartoons as much as I did anime and have equally fond memories. The two have different styles of animation and story telling but I would not toss aside American cartoons simply because of that. As I have gotten older I prefer anime because there are much more anime titles that cater to older crowds than American cartoons. At least the normal weekend or evening cartoon shows on tv now a days.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that the spread between the options seems to be pretty even. I chose Like Them. I'm not watching any American cartoons currently but I've followed some in the past, my favorites by far being Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: The Legend of Korra. I also enjoyed Danny Phantom and Kids Next Door. The main cartoons I used to watch though were actually anime, and I just didn't know they were anime Anime hyper (Naruto, DBZ etc.)
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
EireformContinent wrote:
Quote:

...My Little Pony is not targeted towards preschoolers. But I agree that the comparison is ridiculous.Anime smile

If not preschoolers, then whom? Middle aged men who buy all mechandrise and worship Lauren Faust?
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:
EireformContinent wrote:
Quote:

...My Little Pony is not targeted towards preschoolers. But I agree that the comparison is ridiculous.Anime smile

If not preschoolers, then whom? Middle aged men who buy all mechandrise and worship Lauren Faust?

Technically, I'd say My Little Pony was created with the idea that ANYONE can enjoy it. But more specifically, I'd say elementary- to middle-school-girls are the "target audience," not preschoolers. I feel like you're miscategorizing this show because of some personal distaste for it. Preschool-aged shows would be things like Dora the Explorer, Teletubbies, or Sesame Street. There's a certain level of stupid-simple in those shows that is absent from MLP, thus I feel it's wrong to categorize MLP as one of their number.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7