• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you feel about American cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you describe your relationship with cartoons
Love them
22%
 22%  [ 46 ]
Like them
29%
 29%  [ 59 ]
Indifferent towards them
15%
 15%  [ 32 ]
Dislike most of them (there are a few exceptions)
23%
 23%  [ 48 ]
Hate them (won't touch any of them)
7%
 7%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 201

DomonX2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I never watch cartoons, but I have no active dislike for them. I just have no desire to watch any.

You watch Japanese cartoons, therefore you do watch cartoons. As for myself, I like them(American ones), due to having much better animation generally. BTW, character designs and how the characters look=/= better animation. Animation is just that. How characters move and how they ARE animated. Spongebob has much better animation than Endless Waltz even, due to how Spongebob's mouth actually moves properly unlike the flap flap bullshit foung in most Japanese cartoons. Japanese cartoons generally have better ART, not ANIMATION. Also, Spongebob is great fun to watch and he's hilarious. Some things like Gumball, Adventure Time and MLP just suck, due to hideous art, characters and other things. I also like Iron Man AA. Before Titan XL says "it's a French cartoon and not an American one" he's only half right. It's a French-American cartoon actually. Now that I think about it, IMAA might be more American than French. I also like most Batman cartoons. Why? Because they're violent, engaging and have cool storylines. But as a whole I prefer Japanese cartoons and movies. Not because of my Japanese background, but because I find them more entertaining with better music(generally) and voice acting.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Quote:
I never watch cartoons, but I have no active dislike for them. I just have no desire to watch any.

You watch Japanese cartoons, therefore you do watch cartoons.

The poll and discussion are specifically about cartoons that are not anime.
In this context watching anime does not qualify as watching cartoons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DomonX2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:
Quote:

If you want to be technical, it said "How do you feel about American cartoons" and didn't specify if it meant outside America or non-Japanese cartoons.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
ZepysGirl wrote:
Okay, you know what, this ridiculous argument has gone on long enough. As I said, I agree to disagree. Congratulations, you win an internet. Can we stop now?

<_< No need to get mad just because you were proven wrong. it's clear you and ikillchicken never really saw the show.. frankly comparing anime to cartoons is dumb. Just 'cus it's a kids anime doesn't mean it's for kids like a cartoon is and they're comparable. That's what makes anime so appealing to people of all ages and not afraid to not talk down to kids Razz I've yet to see that out of our own cartoons.

Thinking "anime" and "cartoons" are separate genres is pretty dumb. Wanna know why? Because anime ARE cartoons! But I wouldn't expect you to know that. Anime hyper
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Personally i like American cartoons from the 90' and older.Mostly because they were the ones i grew up with.My favorite was and is Batman TAS.That cartoon really captured Batman's essence.I feel indifferent to American cartoons nowadays because they lack the craftiness and imagination that older cartoons had.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Touma wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:
Quote:

If you want to be technical, it said "How do you feel about American cartoons"

"American cartoons" are "cartoons that are not anime."
(EDIT)My point is that "anime" are not "cartoons" for the discussion here in this specific thread. I think that we all know that they are cartoons in the real world.

Quote:
and didn't specify if it meant outside America or non-Japanese cartoons.

And I also did not say anything about outside America.
I said "cartoons that are not anime."
I did not say "all cartoons that are not anime."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:17 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
As for myself, I like them(American ones), due to having much better animation generally.

I'm just going to laugh histerically

Because This is clearly better animated than this
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
It seems that you should be laughing on yourself, because no sane man makes fool of himself on public forum, by comparing polished animation movie short to weekly kids cartoon. But I understand, since comparing animation from similar class wouldn't support your thesis at all.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
My bad, I should've taken a clip from the Spongebob movie, which clearly is superiorly animated to the Macross Frontier one.

I'll bring a fairer comparison then, because Spongebob is clearly better animated than this weekly cartoon show, right?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'll bring a fairer comparison then, because Spongebob is clearly better animated than this weekly cartoon show, right?

Yes. Yes it is. That Spongebob clip is much better animated than the SAO one.

You might like the art style in anime better. It certainly tends to be more detailed than western animation and less "cartoony" (although this varies wildly from show to show). However, as DomonX2 himself explained, art style and animation are two different things. Purely in terms of how smooth and natural the movement is, western cartoons are miles ahead of anime.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Yes. Yes it is. That Spongebob clip is much better animated than the SAO one.

You might like the art style in anime better. It certainly tends to be more detailed than western animation and less "cartoony" (although this varies wildly from show to show). However, as DomonX2 himself explained, art style and animation are two different things. Purely in terms of how smooth and natural the movement is, western cartoons are miles ahead of anime.

I would add trying to cherry pick clips to make a point is also pretty tiring. The fact that both of those shows were created for 2 completely different age groups and audiences is also something to mention. Honestly I am so sick of this argument on the whole. I just don't understand why people have to piss on other people's parades for no other reason than to basically act like elitist stuck up dickheads trying to show the masses the error of their ways. Trying to compare anime to American cartoons to decide which is better is comparing apples to oranges. Yes they're both fruit but they're different. The animation processes and art styles are different. The cultures and ideas behind them are different. The target audiences are also different in many cases. I can understand if someone prefers one style over another but I don't get why people can't simply just enjoy what they like without pissing on others. The thread title is how do you feel about AMERICAN cartoons. Not let's berate people for liking them and talk down to them because this other style is so much better and therefor so am I for liking them more. Guess I'm just old and bitter.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
Wow Psycho, I'm not sure I could have said it better myself in a million tries. Spot on.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
My bad, I should've taken a clip from the Spongebob movie, which clearly is superiorly animated to the Macross Frontier one.

CrowLia, the comparison is completely unfair. You can't make the comparison between anime and American cartoons as a whole by simply comparing the two titles you picked to best suit your argument. (And as has been pointed out, you don't seem to know the technical difference between art and animation, Spongebob is technically better animated than the Macross music video, it's very easy to see if you know what you're looking for).

One could make a counter argument by comparing Ganbare! Lulu Lolo - Tiny Twin Bears to the new TMNT. It's a completely invalid comparison, just like yours.

Obviously most people on ANN are going to prefer anime, and the reason is rather straight forward (although most anime fans are completely oblivious to it), there is not a significant amount of TV animation made for teens and young adults in North America.

You like anime because it was made for you. You don't like Spongebob because it wasn't made for you.

FWIW, I voted "Dislike most of them (there are a few exceptions)."
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
FTR, I especifically picked Spongebob because DomonX2 especifically referenced it, particularly on the mouth-flapping, which is as much a simple open-close in American cartoons as it is in anime

And again, FTR, it was DomonX2 who started comparing anime and american cartoons, I just replied because I disagreed.

But alas, I lack the shonen drive to keep fighting a useless fight, so I'm jut going to leave it there and agree to disagree
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
And again, FTR, it was DomonX2 who started comparing anime and american cartoons, I just replied because I disagreed.

Replying to say you disagree (AKA what you didn't do):
"Actually, I disagree. I think the animation in anime generally holds up better than in American cartoons".

Being a dick (AKA what you did do):
"I'm just going to laugh histerically Because This is clearly better animated than this"

When you do the latter, you move from simply disagreeing to, as Psycho so eloquently put it, "acting like an elitist stuck up dickhead".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7