• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Mermaid Rei & Asuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Though the one thing that bothers me most about the figures, more than anything else, is that you can still see the shapes of their legs under the mermaid tail. Is that implying that they're just wearing mermaid outfits, and not actually mermaids?

Oh yeah...Maybe the sculpts were initially for Rei and Asuka in swimsuits, but, Sega had them converted to mermaids? Razz

So glad I wasn't seeing things there, the tail muscles did look a lot like leg muscles, reusing old molds?
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is, I devoted time at my Anime Boston Evangelion panel to *specifically* making fun of the Mermaid Rei figures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT2aGfQEYZk&feature=PlayList&p=84014DB3B7483783&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtBFJl4iZ3A&featuret#t=3m23s

**"How can we expect noobies to understand the series, when the most explanation we ever give them is 'buy this Mermaid Rei action figure'?"**
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Though the one thing that bothers me most about the figures, more than anything else, is that you can still see the shapes of their legs under the mermaid tail.

Likewise. Totally ruins the mermaid aspect, which I would have found cute, otherwise.

I also immediately that of the ANNina comic when I saw this.
fanrandom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Though the one thing that bothers me most about the figures, more than anything else, is that you can still see the shapes of their legs under the mermaid tail. Is that implying that they're just wearing mermaid outfits, and not actually mermaids?

I was thinking the exact same thing! Perhaps it's just cosplay...
Jadress

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
While I haven't seen clown or hobo Rei & Asuka figures yet, I feel like I actually HAVE seen gladiator ones at some point. I swear!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Funny how the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title of the column is Robin's comic from a while back about octopus Rei and Asuka figurines. Mermaids and octopus are both marine creatures, so we're getting close people!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait until Astro Toy does some of the Queen's Blade figures.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
You should have tried:

"Why... God please kill me or blind me..." as a review for the under-da-sea Rei & Asuka.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Hobo...that's a solid idea! You could sell a boxcar as storage for the figures and make even more bucks! A big Eva stencil on the side of it and it would be gold!

GOLD!
Loganator456

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Astro Toy wrote:
Who would ever want these things?

*slowly raises hand*

I... I want them. The Rei one, at least, for my "ironic" Rei figure collection. These toys are apparently for the sick, disturbed people like me, who can't resist Rei figures of any kind.
I agree. Rob is just being meh in this one. The whole "callous, only like awesome anime like Eva, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Trigun, etc. and bash ANY others, especially the ecchi/romantic comedy/comedies, etc." really gets on my nerves. I'm tired of it.
serrin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Rob needs to stop reviewing toys that he likes and only ones he has disdain for, like this one. Astro Toy is far more interesting when he's annoyed.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Loganator456 wrote:
I agree. Rob is just being meh in this one. The whole "callous, only like awesome anime like Eva, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Trigun, etc. and bash ANY others, especially the ecchi/romantic comedy/comedies, etc." really gets on my nerves. I'm tired of it.

Uh... you may have missed the point there. She wasn't ragging on Rob.

And if you don't like the column, stop reading it. At no point is he suddenly going to start heaping praise on ecchi magical girl statues. That should be very clear by now.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I can't see any images! I had to open IE to see them, but I can see the images from from last week's Astro Toy in my default browser (which is Firefox). WTF man.

The translucent hair is fine, but the tails? No. Ugly. And why is that turtle purple?
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

I think the biggest issue with these figures is the branding. Now if Sega would call this the "Evangelion Girls Cosplaying Series," they probably can get away with these figures. Unfortunately, everyone sees these things as the "Little Evangelion Mermaid Girls" and that just sounds (and looks) wrong in every way. Very Happy
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Astro Toy wrote:
Who would ever want these things?

*slowly raises hand*

I... I want them. The Rei one, at least, for my "ironic" Rei figure collection. These toys are apparently for the sick, disturbed people like me, who can't resist Rei figures of any kind.

OMG something being reviewed that I actually HAVE!! Went to Fanime con last month and got both of them for $50 and I LOVE them! They're adorable and the see-through hair and tails are a nice touch too. One of the better Rei and Asukas I've seen, (although I still want them in gothic lolita) because I've seen bizzare and not very good looking ones like the gladiator ones >_>

I, personally recomend. I'm not even a huge Eva fan or anything, I just love their designs and the colours on it were great^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4