• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Code:Breaker, Kamisama Kiss, Jormungand, Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, Oniai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It's about time!

Still no "Say I Love You" or "Little Busters" simulcast Sad
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Quote:
For the UK going forward, AnimeOnDemand is the best hope for picking up titles that FUNimation either has English Language Countries rights to or for picking up UK/Ireland rights that FUNimation succeeded in avoiding acquiring.

They have already announced their titles for this season, which do not include of these.

Yes, which is why I said "going forward".

Quote:
Thus far all the streams on AoD have been Kaze licenses, although they have always talked about working with the rest of the UK industry. There is no history of them sub-licensing from FUNimation (Manga has an almost exclusive relationship with them), although that doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

Which is why I said "going forward, AnimeOnDemand is the best hope ..."

Funimation channel YouTube streams with UK/Ireland and/or Oz/NZ and/or ZA right turned on seem likely to have been an afterthought, while the main purpose of simulcasting on YouTube was addressing the Canadian Hulu problem. If they think that streaming to Canada at Funimation.com fixes the problem, there's no real urgent need to simulcast at YouTube.

Quote:
We don't even know if FUNi has the UK rights to any of these series - generally the only way to know is if YouTube streams are unlocked.

Which is why I said "titles that FUNimation either has English Language Countries rights to or for picking up UK/Ireland rights that FUNimation succeeded in avoiding acquiring." Same as FUNimation is for obvious reasons willing to sublicense UK and Australasian rights when they get stuck with an English Speaking Country license instead of their preferred North American license, while if they got the North American license, a UK distributor needs to license from the original licensor.

Quote:
Andrew has said there should be no more overlaps with CR like there was for their first season.

By overlap do you mean shared streaming to the UK?

Magi is one of AoD's titles this series that is streaming on Crunchyroll to North America (and South Africa), but it is, of course, exclusive to AoD in UK/Ireland. So it overlaps in the sense that CR and AoD have licensed the same title for simulcast streaming, but not in the sense of both streaming into the same region.

However, I was addressing series that Crunchyroll is presently de facto locked out of because exclusive North American streaming rights are held by someone else.

Quote:
AoD is UK-focussed and is run by Kaze, who also have streaming venues in France (kaze.tv) and Germany (anime-on-demand.de). I'm not aware that Kaze even has a presence in Nordic countries.

If they picked up UK/Ireland and Nordic country rights for AoD, they would have. I get the impression that Crunchyroll stumbled into the Nordic streaming market by accident, as a side effect of the small number of worldwide ex-Japan rights they picked up, and then because of the lack of domestic incumbents, it was one of the few European regions where they could pick up seasonal streaming rights for the majority of their direct streaming licenses.

Quote:
The two main AU incumbents already have streaming services - Madman's Screening Room and Siren's streaming through ANN (although I think that has gone pretty silent of late too).

Which is why I said "collaborate".
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
So I tried to watch episodes of Kamisama Kiss on Funimation's website and getting the message "stream not found". Does anyone have any idea what this means?
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
So I tried to watch episodes of Kamisama Kiss on Funimation's website and getting the message "stream not found". Does anyone have any idea what this means?

From Canada or the US? "Elite" subscription or free stream?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote

I don't know what browser you're using, but Chrome didn't work for me at all, Firefox let me watch Code Breaker and Kamisama ep. 1, and I had to dig up IE for Kamisama ep. 2. It was incredibly annoying.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
I am a free user from the US

Anyways I tried several different videos on both Chrome & Firefox, nothing worked. Have not tried IE so I guess I will try that tonight.

Wasn't sure if it was just me or a system problem, of course the commercials played just fine.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
I get the impression that Crunchyroll stumbled into the Nordic streaming market by accident, as a side effect of the small number of worldwide ex-Japan rights they picked up, and then because of the lack of domestic incumbents, it was one of the few European regions where they could pick up seasonal streaming rights for the majority of their direct streaming licenses.

From Rob Pereyda, back when he worked for CR:
Quote:
Most licensors wouldn't give us Scandinavia at first. Now, with 10%+ of subscribers from the region, we almost always get it. Oftentimes, Company A has the Americas, Company B Europe, and Company C Asia, etc. So with corporate overhead at big companies so high, they simply cannot process a contract for "small" revenues...they lose money just by signing a deal. To fight this, fans can speak with their wallets like our Scandinavian fans have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I am a free user from the US

I've never been impressed by their site, so I wouldn't be surprised if its a glitch in their player. Last week when I was catching an episode of Black Lagoon that their Roku channel refused to play, the Funimation player refused to play, but the Hulu version played just fine. And that couldn't have been an ad-streaming glitch, since I subscribed to their service when they added Roku.

It may take a little longer for the series to show up on Hulu, but over the past year I've had a lot fewer problems overall with the Hulu free player than with the Funimation free player. Hulu places the ads in annoying spots, but they are placed in annoying spots by the Funimation free player, so that's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Quote:
Wasn't sure if it was just me or a system problem, of course the commercials played just fine.

Yeah, when I tried the free (outsourced) Android app on my rooted Nook Color, the ads played just fine, but then the player could not play the Funimation video.
killerjaws12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
if they are going to be streaming it does it mean that they alredy have licensed it?
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
No, the rights for home video releases like DVD are separate from streaming rights. Companies frequently announce and purchase the two at the same time, but sometimes they don't. When it comes to simulcasts, Funimation usually waits until the anime is done airing to announce home video rights if they decide to get them.
killerjaws12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
No, the rights for home video releases like DVD are separate from streaming rights. Companies frequently announce and purchase the two at the same time, but sometimes they don't. When it comes to simulcasts, Funimation usually waits until the anime is done airing to announce home video rights if they decide to get them.

thanks for the response greatly appreciated
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
...This would be great if their player worked for me. I tried two computers (my desktop and laptop) and I was only able to watch their "subscriber" episodes a couple of times on Chrome on the laptop. Most of the time, it didn't work at all. Chrome on the desktop, and every other browser I tried on either system, never worked. Even then, I spent more time googling how to fix it and trying different settings and Adobe Flash reinstalllations and cache clearing than I did actually watching the two episodes that actually worked.

Yeah, Funimation, you're totally winning us over with your excellent player!

The sad thing is that this issue is a sticky at the top of their tech support forum, and it was posted 6 months ago. Six months is a very long time for a business-critical and show-stopping bug. I'm on their trial now, and unless they fix it before it ends, there's no way that I'll be subscribing. I love Funimation, and buy their releases for all the shows that I like, but I'm not going to throw my money away on something that doesn't work.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

I don't know what browser you're using, but Chrome didn't work for me at all, Firefox let me watch Code Breaker and Kamisama ep. 1, and I had to dig up IE for Kamisama ep. 2. It was incredibly annoying.

Funimation's player is bullshit. You know what? fudge FUNimation.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I (think) I've found a way to work: Use Safari.

I haven't tried it yet on the laptop, but I was able to successfully play several videos on the Desktop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4