• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

And yes, couples where the female makes more money than the male have a higher divorce rate.

Really? I never knew that. Then that means Tom Brady and Giselle's marriage is in danger!
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

And yes, couples where the female makes more money than the male have a higher divorce rate.

Really? I never knew that. Then that means Tom Brady and Giselle's marriage is in danger!

Haha oooo burn Smile

DuskyPredator wrote:
According to you, any relationship where one person has a higher skilled job than the other is doomed to fail. It can't be the fact of one person covering the over's weaknesses. If anything Mashiro needs someone like Sorata, by the same token Mashiro really should get upset that she can not manage simple tasks. From experience people like her can actually get rather frustrated over it, but Sorata's cat caring nature practically makes him perfect.

What is equality in a relationship? Is Lawrence equal to Holo? Is Keiichi equal to Belldandy? Is Saito equal to Louise? Is Chii equal to Hideki?

I have to agree with Vaisaga on this one, except for Keichii and Belldandy. You cannot determine equality in a relationship based on material things. While Belldandy and Holo are goddesses, Lawrence and Keichii bring skills and talents to the table that make them equal to the women in the relationship as well. Belldandy on more than one occasion has referenced this and Holo does as well. It's not about the amount of power or material wealth, it's about what's inside. I can't speak for the other relationships mentioned.

Mashiro is not Sorata's equal. She has this massive talent that she's ridiculously good at. But she's only that good because she's so focused on it that she's blinkered to the rest of the world. And that's her failing. Notice how Chihiro-sensei mentions spoiler[that Sorata has changed Mashiro, for the worse.][/spoiler]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
I have to agree with Vaisaga on this one, except for Keichii and Belldandy. You cannot determine equality in a relationship based on material things. While Belldandy and Holo are goddesses, Lawrence and Keichii bring skills and talents to the table that make them equal to the women in the relationship as well. Belldandy on more than one occasion has referenced this and Holo does as well. It's not about the amount of power or material wealth, it's about what's inside. I can't speak for the other relationships mentioned.

Lawrence and Holo are intellectual equals.

Belldandy and Keichii however... My saying no isn't in regards to him not being equal to her, but she's not equal to him since she fills the submissive housewife role.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
I have to agree with Vaisaga on this one, except for Keichii and Belldandy. You cannot determine equality in a relationship based on material things. While Belldandy and Holo are goddesses, Lawrence and Keichii bring skills and talents to the table that make them equal to the women in the relationship as well.
And Sorata doesn't? Sorata has much better house skills, and his organization skills have likely also increased. I am not saying that Sorata would have to become some sort of house husband, but that is a thing, I am reminded of Madoka's mother. Would everyone had as big a problem with it if the genders were reversed?

Now I am interested in a more genderbent version.

As for Belldandy and Keichii, if I were to say they were no equals it would be for the opposite reasons; she is going to live for a very long time that their time together is rather small, her human apperance is quite deceiving, and her jealousy can rock the very world around her.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
The question is if he'd be satisfied with just being a house husband. There are plenty of people out there who are, but Sorata has a dream he's pursuing that I doubt he'll completely give up on any time soon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
That is why I said he does not have to, he can make his dream come true also, and Mashiro can do her's almost anywhere.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty big "if", though. If it turns out like real life he'll have to give up his dream and settle for being a generic salaryman. Coming home every day only to be reminded of how much better your spouse is than you can potentially wear some one down over time. Especially since Japan still has a male dominant mindset.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
So negative.

But is it really that big of a problem, I can search for other anime which might even have the same issue. Haganai, Kodaka and Sena are currently the most popular pairing, Sena is pretty much a genius with getting high marks despite never studying. Accel World, Kuroyukihime and Haru, just look at them one is a top student and student pres.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
In the case of the latter the improbability of that pairing is what made me not watch it.

At any rate, yeah, this is why anime is good escapism. But like I said Sakurasou's always had a dose of reality to it and in reality things rarely work out so well.
Riddley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Riddley wrote:

Lawrence and Holo are intellectual equals.

Belldandy and Keichii however... My saying no isn't in regards to him not being equal to her, but she's not equal to him since she fills the submissive housewife role.

There's nothing wrong with being a submissive housewife provided that's the role you want to play, which for Belldandy it is. It's in her nature to serve and protect and Keichii would never take advantage of her. And in the current manga arc this is even more self-evident.

Lots of people rail against Ah My Goddess for that relationship but it's only because, imho, they're as dogmatic about it as those misogynistic a-holes were back in the day (and some still are.)

If it were a case that she was being forced into the role, much like Sorata currently is, i.e. that it's not in his nature to be so good, unlike Belldandy who is the epitome and embodiment of goodness, then I would agree with you on that point.
Riddley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
That's a pretty big "if", though. If it turns out like real life he'll have to give up his dream and settle for being a generic salaryman. Coming home every day only to be reminded of how much better your spouse is than you can potentially wear some one down over time. Especially since Japan still has a male dominant mindset.

Vaisaga wrote:
In the case of the latter the improbability of that pairing is what made me not watch it.

At any rate, yeah, this is why anime is good escapism. But like I said Sakurasou's always had a dose of reality to it and in reality things rarely work out so well.

This and this...

What makes me love anime over cartoons is the depth, particularly in the story and characters. And that's why I don't really enjoy Azumanga Daioh or Lucky Star. I've never been able to get past the first few episodes because to me they are cartoons, not anime.

And the dose of reality is what kept me with this show. A bit disappointed, but I knew it was going to happen. I think the pairing of Sorata and Mashiro over Nanami is what takes this down to a Good or Very Good from an Excellent for me.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Episodes 21 and 22 were brilliant. I wonder what the last 2 episodes will be. Next week's will be about the graduation, but what about the season finale? Almost all the problems have been solved and spoiler[we already got the confession.]

Also I do not understand why people dislike the Sorata and Mashiro pairing. It is sexist to believe that their relationship is doomed just because Mashiro will have the better career. This is not the 1700s. I know that I would not care if my future better half has accomplished more with her life. Just because Sorata and Nanami have more in "common", it doesn't necessarily mean they would be the better couple. That would be like condoning they were meant for each other because both of them are failures. Don't get me wrong, I am not a Mashiro fanboy. I liked them both equally and I would have had no problem if he had chosen Nanami.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
[There's nothing wrong with being a submissive housewife provided that's the role you want to play

Well, the housewife part, sure, but the submissive part, not so much. It might have turned out ugly if Keichii wasn't the kind of person he is.

Riddley wrote:
And the dose of reality is what kept me with this show. A bit disappointed, but I knew it was going to happen. I think the pairing of Sorata and Mashiro over Nanami is what takes this down to a Good or Very Good from an Excellent for me.

Eh, I wouldn't be so hasty. Him choosing Mashiro does make perfect sense. We're adults so we have the advantage of hindsight, but it's perfectly natural for a teenager to go for the 'exotic' and 'exciting' option. It's only when you grow up do you realise that stability and connection are what's more important.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Also I do not understand why people dislike the Sorata and Mashiro pairing. It is sexist to believe that their relationship is doomed just because Mashiro will have the better career. This is not the 1700s. I know that I would not care if my future better half has accomplished more with her life.

It's not that we dislike it, we just recognise that a long term relationship would present problems. Yeah, maybe it's sexist, but there are studies and data that show that it is a trend that exists in couples today.

It's easy to say you don't care, but if you were to actually experience it you may find you react differently. Sorata himself openly admitted to feeling some resentment in any case.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

It's easy to say you don't care, but if you were to actually experience it you may find you react differently. Sorata himself openly admitted to feeling some resentment in any case.

IDK I would liked being carried irl Smile. Makes life so much easier.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but then on the flipside your partner might dump you if you're just dead weight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 24