• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Username Change?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r3ronaldo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote
Is it possible to change you user name? Thanks
Bitter Almonds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was wondering that, too. Not really a name change, though. I just wanna take out the underscore from the name so it reads "Bitter Almonds" instead of "Bitter_Almonds" Cool
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
It's possible, yes; the admin can technically do it. Though usually they just tell ya to go ahead and make a new account, because it's easier. But, hey, I'm notorious for hating my username and yet I haven't touched the "register" button again! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
The main reason why we don't allow free-for-all change to the username is that it's really confusing for those trying to follow a conversation. It's counter-productive to what a forum is supposed to do which is communication. And in order to achieve even the most basic level of communication, you need the ability to known who said what.

But changing an underscore to a space is a question of typography, not identity... so no problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SamKajam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:33 am Reply with quote
I suppose that's one way of looking at it, but at the same time, people change over time, and may end up not liking the name that they first chose. Are they to be doomed with the name?

Starting a new account is an option, but then the forum ends up keeping record of a user who no longer exists. And also it's quite a pain to redo the "my anime" list.

... anyway, I think what I'm trying to say is, could I possibly have my name changed to SamKajam? Laughing
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
Midevilshadow wrote:
I suppose that's one way of looking at it, but at the same time, people change over time, and may end up not liking the name that they first chose. Are they to be doomed with the name?

Yeah, kind of. From the moment where you start using this alias to identify yourself to other people, it's not just "your" alias anymore; it belongs to the community who is using it to identify/recognize you.

Quote:
... anyway, I think what I'm trying to say is, could I possibly have my name changed to SamKajam? Laughing

Yes, because this is your first post, therefore you don't have an identity tied to the name Midevilshadow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
I would ask you to change my username to "D.T.M.", but I take a perverse pride in the lack of capitalisation for my current username, despite it being an acronym. Kind of my way of showing that while I may be sort of anal about using correct spelling, grammar and capitalisation, I do have the ability to laugh at myself. So I'll happily live with it.
r3ronaldo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
I don't post much so would i be able to get my user name changed to bpercent100 because i really dont like this username. thanks
CardcaptorSakuraFan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
If possible (and not a pain), can I have a username change too? I want to change it to amaya_sakura since the current one sounds silly (and not applicable anymore).

Creating a new account would be too much since I have an email address only.

The identity thing is not much of a problem since I've posted twice, once in the Talkback section and one is somewhere else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1