• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Night on the Galactic Railroad

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
This appears to be an old anime so I wanted to know whether or not it was worth my time. I read it was slow and cerebral with a melancholy touch, which attracted me to it.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen it, but I've heard really wonderful things about it. It's based on what is considered to be one of the masterpieces of Japanese literature, and one of my favorite anime films (Galaxy Express 999) is a homage to it. So it's pretty high up on my to-see list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
Night on the Galactic Railroad is definitely one of my old favorites, and got me interested in Kenji Miyazawa's (the Japanese author) works. It's interesting to see this movie and then watch Spring and Chaos, the OAV about Kenji Miyazawa's life. I would say "slow and cerebral with a melancholy touch" is a very good description of it. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:50 am Reply with quote
I just screened Spring and Chaos at anime club last week. It's such a brilliant film.
bnewhall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
I've seen "Night on the Galactic Railroad", as well as "Spring and Chaos" (which is about the author of "Night").

"Night on the Galactic Railroad" certainly is slow and cerebral, but those are not necessarily positive attributes. I found "Night" pointlessly slow and frustratingly uncentered; the story wanders from one unrelated event to another. There's a difference between being deep and simply being obscure.

It's certainly not a bad film, but I wouldn't call it deep or even particularly meaningful, which is what a cerebral film should be, to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
its a very good movie, but very very very slow and cerebral, if I'm not geared up to watch it, it is very boring. It reminded me a lot of the Phanton Tollbooth. But just note that it is a very long movie and its slow pace makes it seem like forever. Though for its price its pretty good, I've seen it around for about $9.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This is definately a film to avoid until you're in the mood for a languid, slow-paced film. But it has moments of great beauty; it's a fascinating tone poem if you're in the mindset for it.

I thought Spring and Chaos was a disappointment; mostly just a cliched, generic, reductive biopic, redeemed by a handful of clever visuals and some intriguing quotes from Miyazawa. Galactic Railroad asks a lot from the viewer, but is a rich, epic film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1