• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How much can you devote to your hobby?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
Time?
Money?
Other activities?

When I'm interested in something I'd rather spend my money on my hobby than food. I can read late on night and on a bus, bt I've never had a problem in school or work because of it.
Last year I went for holidays aboard- girl with whom I shared my bedroom took her notebook and spend nearly all the time watching fansubs-she hardly went anywhere, telling that she had been sick. One of the students in my class didn't graduate(it was last year!) because of M&A- he didn't learn even when teachers said that they could give him one more chance, because "he had to watch LOGH". Even in my town I see people in my age who says that they are too involved in fandom to lead normal social life.
Where is the borderline where hobby become disease?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
Well anime is my main hobby so I spend quite a bit of time and money on it. That is, whenever I can squeeze it in with work and college also competing for it.
Animegeek86

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The same goes for me. I try to get some money in order to buy books, DVD's, or tickets for the next anime convention not to mention getting the cosplay materials.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I think my sister spends way too much time on shoe and purse shopping, I'm just considering any time and money that I might have theoretically spent on it to go time (and money) on anime and games.

But it's important that it not interfere with school work, if I hope to go to Germany in the winter, which is very important to me, I'll be needing to well in German this fall or I won't be able to go. That is more important than anime or game time to me so by making it more important to take priority, time won't be "wasted" on anime or games for me. I have a feeling that was worded very awkwardly but I can't think of any other way to word it right now, maybe later. Of course, I understand the importance of breaks, if I've been studying all day, I should take a break to either get food or watch 2-3 episodes of anime or play 45 minutes or so of a game.

But now that it's the summer and I'm just taking a break for now, my time for anime has exploded to the point where I don't know where to focus it between that and my game backlog. I've been pretty good about not having an anime backlog though, but my game backlog...could use some drastic work. I only have an anime backlog when I get new DVDs in and haven't had a chance to watch them all (so this week I have a backlog for anime, but that's unusual). I've yet to get a summer job because I do want and need a few weeks off to relax quite frankly (I only had a two week break after fall semester because I did winter session, and then none between winter and spring), but I hope to work for the last two months of summer.

But during the fall and spring semester, in particular before the first wave of exams came, I was able to watch a lot of anime. Then I'd also watch quite a bit of anime any week I didn't have a test or a major project/paper due and on Saturdays in which I'd refuse to do any sort of work because of a much needed break. And then during winter, I was able to watch anime almost every single day after my classes were over and all my reading was done (not sure if that'll be happening in Germany though, not even sure I'll be online that month). I actually beat Persona 3 during my fall exam week because I had my first two most difficult exams on the first day then a 5 day break until my last one which was for an easy class. So even between my class schedule, I always managed to find some good time for anime and games that didn't interfere with any sort of work needed to be done. And this fall I finally only have one lab instead of two! That'll cut my work load immensely and only make more time for anime.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
As long as you keep your priorites straight, there's usually no need for concern- for example, you say you'd rather spend on your hobby than food... but I'm sure you're not picking up abandoned half-eaten plates at mall food courts so you can induldge your hobby.

Your classmate who put anime over graduating has a definite problem- getting his diploma will help him in getting work later to support his hobby, after all. The inability to 'set it aside' for awhile will come back to haunt him.

Your female roomate is toeing the line- it probably would've been better to go out and enjoy her trip abroad, but at least she didn't completely pass it up in favor of anime.

Bascially you just have to keep in mind that anime is just a computer file/DVD/whatever and will wait while you go enjoy other things.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Bascially you just have to keep in mind that anime is just a computer file/DVD/whatever and will wait while you go enjoy other things.

I think this sums it up good. I'll admit that I spend allot of time watching anime and reading manga. But I still make time to hang out with friends, go to concerts, see movies, keep up with school and work, and have fun with other hobbies. The important thing is trying to have a balanced life. It's ok for anime to be a big part of your life, but you got to make sure that it's not the only part of your life. I think the last thing anyone wants is to wake up and find out that their just like Madarame (from Genshiken) or Takuro (from Ressentiment).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:59 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
As long as you keep your priorites straight, there's usually no need for concern- for example, you say you'd rather spend on your hobby than food... but I'm sure you're not picking up abandoned half-eaten plates at mall food courts so you can induldge your hobby.

Smile
I mean that I don't buy sweets every day- I didn't even know how much money I wasted this way.
Quote:

Your classmate who put anime over graduating has a definite problem- getting his diploma will help him in getting work later to support his hobby, after all. The inability to 'set it aside' for awhile will come back to haunt him.

He will be passing his exams next year- whole year wasted because of cartoons. Now when everyone is enjoying holidays he have to learn:) But I think that he should be really grateful that his parent's won't let him to turn into hikkomori.

Quote:

Anime won't escape. Now I have more DVDs and mangas in my "plan to" box than on shelves.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote
Only about maybe... $50 every few months...? :\ I wish I could spend more but there's either always bills to be paid or a dearth of items that I'd even WANT to purchase since many of my favorite series and genres are not popular and aren't widely sold. In fact, I'd say the bulk of my anime purchases recently have been online because the local Best Buy and Barnes & Noble simply don't stock anime titles I'm interested in anymore. :\ We used to have an anime shop nearby but they went out of business recently sooo... :\ I can't really splurge except at cons anymore (in the last one, I got six DVDs - Gun Frontier, Shin Getter Robo, Megazone 23, and Aura Battler Dunbine, and three figures - Cybuster, Dancougar, and Gurren Lagann! ^^ ). ^^; Though, occasionally, I'll find something unexpected like the Disney Trip last year where at Epcot's Japan Pavilion, hiding behind all the Naru-Bleach stuff, I found a Shin Getter Robo figure AND a Mospeada Legioss! Anime hyper But yeah... I'd like to spend more but... Budgetary concerns and lack of acceptable merchandise make it hard. ^^;
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
I've definitely gone overboard with my anime hobby. Since January, I have spent dangerously close to $2,500 Cdn on anime (I've too afraid to add it up, so I don't know the exact figure). I now have a huge anime backlog that will take me over 6 months to clear - assuming I don't add to it, which is unlikely.

It would have been SO much smarter to spread that spending over the entire year and only purchase new stuff after I'd already watched what I had.

Fortunately, I've been able to resist the siren song of merchandise collecting, especially figures, so that should keep me out of bankruptcy court.

Speaking generally, however, if any hobby, anime or not, affects your work, education or family/friend relationships, or puts you badly in debt, then it is obviously unhealthy.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking generally, however, if any hobby, anime or not, affects your work, education or family/friend relationships, or puts you badly in debt, then it is obviously unhealthy.

This, remember this and you'll do well. So curently I'm not spending a lot on anime (no money coming in so I'm struggling to pay bills puts a damper on luxuries, like anime and other hobbies.)

But I have other means of which to entertain myself beyond anime, role-playing games and comic being two of them. Also add in Rockband (I do the vocals, as there was a reason I played trombone, my finger reactions are really poor) and Fighting games, as well as wargaming and I have plenty of other activities to bounce around in, all it is is a matter of price range and availability like money, time, and occasionally hardware/software/other tools(So right now not singing much in Rockband, no system)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
As much as seems practical.

"Practical" being the key word there. I used to be one of those fans who would focus on my hobby a great deal. Over time though I realized it was very unfulfilling focusing on a hobby, and an infinitely superior experience to focus on hobbies instead. I can no longer even fathom devoting a great deal to one specific hobby, it's like going to Disney world of a week and spending the entire time riding the same ride over and over.

Now my focus on my hobbies can vary, particularly since some are seasonal and others are not. I might find myself a bit more focused on one for a period of time and then another the next month, but I always vary and I never devote too much to one hobby at the expense of others, or at the expense of my own well being. Luckily I never reached a point where my devotion to a hobby threatened my well-being, but I have to admit I was close long ago when MMO's practically took over my life. Luckily they took over my best friends instead, and I learned the negative path I was heading down from him going first and I backed away. Still, during that time it was pretty much all I focused on, and I seriously look back on those years as truly wasted years now.

Basically, I've learned that moderation and diversity can make ones hobbies far more enjoyable. Though that isn't the only factor that does so, it's a pretty important one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Truered

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I've devoted quite a lot of time and money to my hobby. I've never gone without food or anything like that, but I've decreased my purchasing of videogames etc to have more money for anime and particularly manga. I find myself thinking a game might be nice, but for the price I could get 8-10 volumes of manga.

I last worked out how much I'd spent a few months ago, but roughly I've spent £1000 on anime/manga on average a year since becoming a fan Embarassed I don't drink too much (especially for a uni student! Laughing), smoke or feel the urge to get lots of new clothes, so I do have a bit more money spare Razz

I have also reorganized half of my room to fit in a bookcase slightly taller then me (I'm 6 foot) to display my manga on...
Anumari

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I have recently started spending 100-200$ a month on anime depending on how other situations go Good deals = more money spent, fixing car = less etc etc.

and this is usally the money i set aside to pay my self for what i am doing. and still able to save a nice amount and still do things on a whim.

Its not alot of money but its controlable and my collection grows little by little so its nice.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Truered wrote:
I last worked out how much I'd spent a few months ago, but roughly I've spent £1000 on anime/manga on average a year since becoming a fan Embarassed I don't drink too much (especially for a uni student! Laughing), smoke or feel the urge to get lots of new clothes, so I do have a bit more money spare Razz

I knew you were a prolific buyer, Truered, but that's a very impressive amount by student standards over here. Over the last year I've spent only a fraction of that, owing to my location and the high costs it brings. I would place further orders at this time of year, but although I would be able to afford them I'm still waiting for existing ones to arrive. Thus, time becomes a limiting factor for me just as much as money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Truered wrote:
I find myself thinking a game might be nice, but for the price I could get 8-10 volumes of manga.

Yeah, I've only been getting used games lately for that very reason, things I've overlooked for too long (like last gen stuff), hence why that backlog keeps piling up. Now I only get new games at Christmas or Birthday time (and the only one I plan to get new this year is Brutal Legend, because Tim Schaffer deserves my money. Also, my Birthday and Christmas are only 4 days apart, so it's really only one time of the year).

Who knows, maybe it's a phase, I used to spend way more on manga than anime, way more on games than either manga or anime, and now I seem to spend more on anime than either games or manga. But yeah, my personal fluctuations in what I'm interested in certainly affect the allocation of hobbies money. Not to mention I appear to have lost my juggling bean bags, which I wanted to replace with better ones anyway and when stuff got moved back from my dorm, one of my juggling rings got warped. And when I eventually get better with clubs, I'll more better ones so I can learn how to juggle 4 or 5 clubs too. So there's a new money hole hobby right there!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2