• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Manhwa by Young Kim to Be Published by Yen Press

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
When will it end?! Twilight is not that great and they decide to make a comic. I hope the hype will die soon too, Twilight doesn't deserve it, it's completely overrated.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Greeeaaat another incarnation of the stupid serries writen by the undersexed middle aged woman
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
One word: Sparkles.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Twilight is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I find the books to be absolutely terrible, and hate all the characters, and at times would just love to beat the snot out of all of them, but for some reason, I can't stop reading. Of course, after I'm done with the last book, I'm going to have to read I Am Legend, and Let the Right One In, so that I can get my fill of cool vampires, but anyway...
Twilight is one of those things that is perfectly suited to be an anime/manga. If a love triangle set among high school students who also happen to be supernatural (except for the nondescript, whiny, useless female lead) isn't anime enough for you, I don't know what is.
The picture of Edward and Bella used in the article looks really off to me. For a second I thought it was Rosalie and Emmet, until I noticed the microscope. I'm surprised Meyer is allowing any kind of deviation from her idea of her precious Edward.
Shii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
Greeeaaat another incarnation of the stupid serries writen by the undersexed middle aged woman
Don't worry, it's being drawn by a Korean. Nothing of value is lost.
DPX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:

Wow,I think that is the most accurate decision I've ever heard regarding the series! Laughing
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I've seen/heard of worse shoujo manga. And none of them get the ranting and wailing that Twilight does. Come on, fellas, Twilight is just lousy. There's some stuff out there that's actually terrible.

(Wait, would this be backlash against the backlash? And before you know it, there'll be backlash-backlash-backlash. Oh heaven help us.)
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Good idea in going with a Korean artist. It being read left-to-right will make it more accessible for non-manga fans. Plus, if it sells well, that would mean more money for Yen Press. Meaning more licenses for us manga fans!

Other than the fact that this could end up being a great move for monetary reasons, I honestly could care less. Well, save for the fact that my sister will have yet another way to try and get me to check out the series. Rolling Eyes

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I just may (and I must stress may) check this series out thanks to it branching out thru this medium.
ani12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Typical reaction as usual I see... Rolling Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEGJ2OLX2ZQ&feature=channel_page
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh geeze, really you people. I myself have no respect for Twilight, but really... you guys seem to be going out of your way to waste energy b*tching about this damn stupid thing. There are worse franchises out there.

... I think.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Now that they're in the same medium we can finally settle the debate regarding which the squiky-er, stranger, tramples more on Vampire lore series is--Vampire Knight or Twilight?

Waits as the rotten tomatoes and flames pass by ;p

Seriously, this makes tons of financial sense for Yen. I wish them tons of luck!
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Oh geeze, really you people. I myself have no respect for Twilight, but really... you guys seem to be going out of your way to waste energy b*tching about this damn stupid thing. There are worse franchises out there.

... I think.

While I have to admit that I spend a lot of time making fun of this series of books, the reactions people are having here are a bit ridiculous. People saying that the thought of this being a manhwa makes them physically sick - really guys? Are you really that delicate?

However, littlegreenwolf, there's not much off the top of my head that rivals the sheer awful of Twilight. I think something close would be the Anita Blake books. I haven't read them yet, but I hear that they become absolutely terrible about halfway through the series - typical Mary Sue that everyone loves, plus she has sex with everything. Hooray!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Now that they're in the same medium we can finally settle the debate regarding which the squiky-er, stranger, tramples more on Vampire lore series is--Vampire Knight or Twilight?

Waits as the rotten tomatoes and flames pass by ;p

Twilight kicks Vampire Knight's butt hands down. Sure, I've only forced myself through the first 3 volumes of Vampire Knight to see what all the hubbub was about, but at least with the first Twilight book I could understand why all those girls were going nuts with it. Vampire Knight's popularity does not compute.

Vampire Knight has been the saddest excuse for a Vampire story I have ever had the misfortune to come across, sparkly vampires included. There was nothing to the story, nothing I say! Just some weird school, some vampire hunters who work the school, and the typical vapid main character girl in love with one of the vamps. I couldn't even tell most of the vamps apart from each other. And the art didn't even come close to making up for where the story was lacking like some shoujo manga can do. At least Twilight has some interesting side characters.

Can Viz or someone PLEASE hurry up and license Kaori Yuki's Bloodhound so we can at least have one pretty boy vampire shoujo manga out there that has an OK story and fantastic art?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Pocky Monster wrote:
kefkaownsall wrote:
Shoots self in head.

What I'm an anti.

I'm an anti as well...
*sigh* They're really just looking for more ways to make more money off this franchise...This wasn't even necessary.
I wanted the hype to die a long,looong time ago. But it looks like that won't be happening. *headesk*

I'm an anti too. I hate Twilight, it destroyed the vampire genre. I wish the hype died along time ago too. I hope the hype dies soon and Twilight will be forgotten like A*Teens, Vanessa Hugdeons and Aaron Carter. I'm really hoping Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (which came out today) will take the spotlight away from Twilight for good. The series sucks, it's completely overrated, and lacks any depth at all to it. And for the last time Stephanie Meyer, VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE. AND THEY HAVE FANGS, NOT VENOM-ENCOADED TEETH.

I too am also anti Twilight. I absolutely hate Twilight and am massively irratated that this has really put a bad look on the gene.

I wish the hype for this series ended years ago and hope this will be forgotten like Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. Though I am not really into Harry Potter, at least he doesn't sparkle.

Stephanie Meyer Vampires NOT sparkle. They just don't, ever.

But Yen Press is going to make a small fortune on this. Smart move for them though.
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
Well, Yen Press is going to be rolling in the cash, no doubt about that. The artwork didn't particularly appeal to me, but that was just one image. Maybe it looks better in context.

I've never read the Twilight books, and I'm not too keen on the idea. I have several friends who like them, but I just have no interest. The plot and characters just do not sound appealing to me. Oh, and vampires aren't supposed to sparkle, and stalking isn't sexy.

I guess this could encourage people who wouldn't normally read manga or manhwa to take a look, and that isn't a bad thing. Good for the fans and for Yen Press.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6