• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Manhwa by Young Kim to Be Published by Yen Press

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
JadeLiCat, I was not aiming my post towards you; your posts are evenhanded and insightful (and it's quite obvious you're female); my post was aimed squarely at Twilight haters, mostly male, who deride the books because of the type of person it attracts: tween-teen girls.

Personally, I thought the book was a tad boring (too much descriptive text; not enough dialog-I read way too much manga!) And I never finished the first volume. However, I don't think anyone has a right to criticize the book, it's fans or its author unless they take a good, hard look at the manga/comics/books they like and can honestly criticize it as well.

For instance, I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and would probably glomp JKR if I had the chance, but I know that the plot is derivative, the main character is a "Gary Stu," and the books are way too long. Still love 'em. Wink

As for Vampire Lore, since when was that a holy scripture? I read the beggining of Hideaki Kikuchi's "Vampire Hunter D," and thought it was awful. I think Vampire Knight is, well, just as literary as Twilight, and I wonder what Trinity Blood or Blood + has to do with Bram Stoker...

Basically, your fandom is just as dumb as theirs, you just like yours better. So be quiet!

(The best vampire-related graphic novel I've read of late is "Life Sucks" by Jessica Abel. It's funny and doesn't take itself as gospel.)

LittleGreenWolf, thanks for answering my question. I thought the whole thing was a joke and poor Jane Austen is rolling in her grave. I was shocked to see how popular it got! Can anyone just take a classic novel and add monsters or fantasy elements and make a mint? Glad to hear it's just as stupid as I thought it would be. Poor Jane Austen! It would make a fun movie, though. Elizabeth practices ninjutsu? LOL!
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
This really is a good thing that this is happening, honest. As more people can read and get involved with a story to a wider area, and more importantly is a work that gives those manga/mangwha artist a job, as nothing really is nicer then doing what you like for a living and getting paid for it.

As to what is the best "Vampire Mythology"? I'd say the New World of Darkness gameline does an extensive and really good job of coming through everything and combining it and meshing it to make it work (in short they are all true kinda, in the system they all have the basic destroyed in sunlight (maybe) and need to drink blood (although not neccessarily human or just by itself)

Some may recognize the series better in movies as the Underworld series and the Hunter video games.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
If I'm reading all the hate right, it's okay to bash Stephanie Meyer because: A. She panders to female readers by making her books romantic, B. She reinterprets so-called "vampire lore" in her own way, C. She is inspired by classic female writers such as Jane Austen rather than Bram Stoker, D. She is a housewife (who "just" has an English degree).

As far as "just" having a degree, degrees in artistic fields (and I do consider writing to be an art form) are a woefully poor measure of the individual's actual talent, because ultimately they're only a measure of the individual's knowledge of the rigid mechanics that go into some base, textbook definition of the art. They do not definitively prove that the individual can masterfully wield those mechanics to create art. For example, I've seen graduates from my college that knew how to model, texture, rig, and animate for 3D as per the curriculum's demands, but failed in their final portfolio to produce anything beyond a misshapen mass with two eyes and a mouth. Meanwhile I've seen amateur artists with no college education in the field crank out photo-realistic work that would make ILM blush.

To put it another way, the guy that paints 1,001 generic pictures of wolves on moons for t-shirts would probably receive an art degree long before any Dadaist would, because his work is more textbook. But which one made a profound and timeless impact on the visual arts?

Which brings me to my next long-winded and overly meandering point: there's an E option you forgot to list. Some of us genuinely do not like her writing style because we have legitimate artistic disagreements with it. Some of us just don't like her purple prose, her painfully awkward attempt at first-person (which, to me, reads like some middle schooler's "what I did during summer" essay, I'm sorry), or her clumsy attempts at character development. It has nothing to do with her being a woman, or her genre of choice being romance, and just because she's inspired by great and timeless authors like Jane Austen does not make her as good as them by default. One of my favorite books of all time is Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre, but by your logic that should be impossible because I dislike Stephanie Meyer, and as such should theoretically hate women, love stories, and classic literature.

Saying anyone that dislikes Stephanie Meyer is sexist and only dislikes her for sexist reasons is every bit as low as the few people that really are making sexist comments, or the one guy a few posts up that took a shot at her religion. She's not above criticism; no author is, no matter their gender. The few people that do have honest differences with Meyer's approach should be allowed to say so without coming under character assassination for daring to open their mouths, the same way that the legions of rabid Meyer fans should be (and are) able to proudly proclaim their love of it without repercussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6