• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: KenIchi the Mightiest Disciple DVD Season 1 Part 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Kenichi is another title that I file under "guilty pleasures". It's a great palate cleanser after watching a show like Texhnolyze or Lain.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I was never able to finish watching Lain... maybe someday..
tirdad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
I was wondering why an anime like Kenichi has been rated too low. I believe it should be in top 20 animes.
You may say it's what people think about this anime, but i believe the current low rank has another reason .The first 2 episodes
of Kenichi is somehow boring and you may think it is a normal anime and you may stop watching it .So you will miss all the awesome content of the story.

I love Kenichi because

- it's one of few animes which has more than 10 characters who you may love them .
- The main character ( Kenichi ) is not a born superhero but he is a underdog student which through hard practices he gradually learns some techniques and start progressing .
- all of The fights and techniques have a logic behind them and it's not like those animes which characters use some weird and non logical techniques.
- It's full of funny scenes and yet it gets serious sometimes.
- I like to follow the story and wath how the main charcters romance will end up.

I hope i am not the only one who love this anime and i hope the next season will be released soon .
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
I just finished season 1 and have started on season 2. Without disagreeing with much of anything in the ANN review, I still come away with the feeling this is a much underrated title.

What seems to make it work is that they aren't afraid to develop their characters with dialog. After clowning around the masters manage to have serious discussions -- even if it is just about the latest Kenichi torture effort.

And surprise surprise -- they do seem to actually care about Kenichi each in their own way. Miu has to be restrained from helping him too much. Ma has to leave off taking illicit photos of her long enough to grab her leg midfight to stop her. He does this because he cares enough and has experience enough to know it is the right thing to do for Kenichi. There are plenty of other examples of this.

So because they care you end up caring. Budget or no budget, that's what makes watching it worthwhile. It would have been better to move the Miu-Kenichi thing along more than they have, but they already have a lot going on so it isn't a bad call the way they have it. Miu has a great personality -- it is more appealing than her physical character design.

BTW, what's wrong with fluff?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I love Mr. Kimlingers reviews because they cover what he feels about the English dub and the original in a way that shows he watched both.

"Voice actors often seem to enjoy themselves more when the restraints of realism are removed. As it's basically one giant ball of over-the-top silliness, Kenichi offers plenty of fun for its cast, and they do take advantage of it. A lot. Every line that passes through one of the six masters' mouths comes out smelling of cheese, and supporting characters like Niijima are perhaps even riper."

Statements like this prepare fans that like original intent to be ready for a cheese tasting or switch to the original track ASAP.

Thank you for another fair and unbiased review.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1