• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Psycho-Pass (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Ghost_Wheel, it sounds a little that you think a society that punishes someone because they might do something, even if they have not, and totally restricts their movements for the rest of their lives, is a society totally irredeemable. Do you think our current society is not like that? Our current society actually totally is.

Now this may be a hypothetical situation that may be a bit hard to think through as we are educated that it is among the worst crimes one can commit, and you will fin many many people that will say that someone likely to do it should be locked up or even disfigured. The crime is spoiler[paedophilia], we see it as totally irredeemable, to even be accused of it can be devastating. It is probably an unfortunate thing that science points that people can be born predisposed to it, or become so. When evidence comes out that someone has even a connection related to material of, many people will say that they should be locked up, mutilated, and there are laws that have them kept on a chain.

Laws have them punished because they are likely to commit a crime, they are treated like a monster by people, but it is actually a fact that committing the crime is something they might not even think about. Instead, records show that most spoiler[sexual assault against children] is caused by someone like a family member who may have not necessarily disposition spoiler[for children], but have something that the system is blind to.

I know it might sound like I am defending spoiler[paedophiles], but that is exactly how it sounds if someone questions the system in Psycho-Pass.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say it's necessarily irredeemable, nor would I even say it's strictly bad. I can think of many situations in which a person can be considered too dangerous to continue on in society, and I can think of situations where that decision can later be revoked and where it is decided that they will never return. I also have no illusions that our society doesn't do this sometimes, especially in the cases you mentioned.

The problem is that the question of whether the people can return doesn't even gets asked in the Psycho Pass society and the reason it doesn't get asked feels independent of a lot of the science fiction conceits they make. It's like science fiction asks a question, but the answer that comes out isn't a response to the question, but something that you're supposed to think is a response by association.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
I agree there.

To put it as concisely as possible, I think the root of the problem is that Psycho pass is trying to make a statement that there is something wrong with that kind of system, but it's not an effective argument because their society is really failing for other reasons, and like Ghostwheel said, you're supposed to think they're connected.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
Ghost_Wheel wrote:
The problem is that the question of whether the people can return doesn't even gets asked in the Psycho Pass society

I think Akane is asking. I also think Akane doesn't have the answer and that is what the story is about.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Do you think the therapist is Kamui, or at least in league with Kamui?

He appears to know that Akane has been smoking. Akane wondered whether the second-hand smoke was enough for the smell to stick to her. Ginoza seems to have noticed nothing.

We later find out that Kamui appears to have entered her apartment--presumably where he would've seen the cigarettes.

That he uses a holographic disguise as the therapist appears to be more probable than being completely invisible to cameras.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Ghost_Wheel wrote:
The problem is that the question of whether the people can return doesn't even gets asked in the Psycho Pass society

I think Akane is asking. I also think Akane doesn't have the answer and that is what the story is about.

Yeah, I think so too. She made comments along those lines toward the end of the first season in my opinion.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Decent episode with the buildup although I still don't like spoiler[Mika much. I hope she knows what she's doing there because she could get into some big trouble.] Well, I'll give her some credit for taking risks though and being outspoken in a way.

Also, that spoiler[Kamui guy is bad news if he has the ability to influence PP levels. Yikes. Hope to see his plans unravel. On a cosmetic note, I like Ginzo's robotic arm...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Kamui sure is a cold and dangerous one.
The mystery of that WC? writing is intriguing.
Wonder who really did that..
This season is definitely going deeper in.
Feels like everyone is trying to stop her from investigating more.
Shisui is annoying. Trying so hard to be liked, but failing epically.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Ep 3 spoiler[Wait a second, when a Dominator hooks up to the network to garner a Sybil judgment, doesn't that mean it will also (attempt) to ping out a GPS location?]

Quote:

He actually might actually be "safe" in a detention center and was removed from his residence between the time skip (just as well it is a card to be revealed).

Called it in regards to Jouji Saiga.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Ep 3 spoiler[Wait a second, when a Dominator hooks up to the network to garner a Sybil judgment, doesn't that mean it will also (attempt) to ping out a GPS location?]

Quote:

He actually might actually be "safe" in a detention center and was removed from his residence between the time skip (just as well it is a card to be revealed).

Called it in regards to Jouji Saiga.

If you're good enough to stay invisible, it's not difficult handling trivial matters like a spoiler[GPS locator.]

You did indeed call it in, well the man himself didn't seem too displeased with his fate. He gets his organic coffee and is allowed his choice of books.

It might be done by a different writer, but one of the themes running on from last season is still in force, namely those spoiler[outliers who cannot be read by the system and who consequently are candidates for being hooked up to the brain hive. ] It seems spoiler[unlike Makishima, Kamui seems himself as the Messiah who would rid the world of the crazy system that runs Japan at this time from within unlike Makishima's more anarchistic destruction. ]

Togane gets more and more interesting with each episode, if he's spoiler[so dangerous with a record high criminal coefficient, why is the director so confident placing him with Tsunemori? A case of opposites cancelling each other out? ]

Unlike the spoiler[fancy helmet gimmick from the first episode, it looks more and more likely that Kamui is using medication to fix people up to fool the system. Perhaps he's found the biological key that triggers a blind spot in the hive mind? ]

spoiler[Kougami's not making an appearance yet, but this is the type of case where his revolver will turn out to be more useful than the dominators. ]

Trivial note: Anyone notice how much more psychedelic the OP animation has become compared to the first two episodes?

Last edited by Harleyquin on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched the first two new edit episodes and I'm already in love with this series..........and Akame. Wink

There is a nice line between expanding on the morally messed things about this world with a hint of silliness. Having the characters doing a murder investigation while wearing cute looking avatars? I love it Very Happy
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
As an opposing opinion, I find the "outlier" idea to subvert any meaningful themes the show may want to look at. It's one thing to explore the morality of a tyrannical system that aims for peace and stability, but if the system just doesn't work, it's not much of an exploration.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
As an opposing opinion, I find the "outlier" idea to subvert any meaningful themes the show may want to look at. It's one thing to explore the morality of a tyrannical system that aims for peace and stability, but if the system just doesn't work, it's not much of an exploration.

Not sure if you've watched the first season, but the outlier idea is being grabbed by both hands and run along at pace by the new writer.

Taking suspension of debelief to one side, the system as the spoiler[great confidence job ] that it is works well as a storyline hook for me. It won't for others, but viewers who disagree with the whole premise of the show aren't exactly forced to continue watching it or discuss it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
It's one thing to explore the morality of a tyrannical system that aims for peace and stability, but if the system just doesn't work, it's not much of an exploration.

I am not sure I understand your meaning here.

If the system "works" it you can examine it extensively for its morality but if it does not "work" then there isn't much to examine? Could you expand on that?

The case that Sybil made for itself at the end of season 1 was that it works even though it acknowledges it is not perfect. So it is sophisticated enough to make the distinction between "workable" and "perfect." Following its value system the fact that vast majority of the population can live in safety and comfort at the cost of an unfortunate few being victims of criminals it doesn't catch is compellingly acceptable, moral system. Even though it doesn't "work" in the current case.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Because saying "it doesn't work" sidesteps the moral question. To take an example from politics, if you were discussing the death penalty, you should probably be thinking about the morality of a government executing its murderers. But the legitimate policy complaint ("innocents can be executed") makes that moral question irrelevant, or at least, less relevant, because it's no longer just murderers being executed.

By the same token, if you were to explore the idea of keeping order by subduing not just criminals, but those with the propensity to commit crimes, you would need to have a system that can actually tell who has the propensity to commit crimes. But the driving forces for both seasons have been people completely outside the reach of that system, which means the show isn't really about the internal conflict of such a system, but an external conflict between that system and outsiders.

Which is fine, I suppose, but it makes the ideological exploration much less interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 44