• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Season Finale

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Good luck in your future endeavors Erin! It's been a pleasure to read your column for the last few years.

And good luck to Bamboo as well, because you are going to need it. Wink
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Sniff...sniff...BWAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I'm really going to miss you Erin! You've always been a blast to read! I've always found your input great, I really hope we hear from you again around these parts every now and again!

In the meanwhile, welcome back Bamboo! I hate to see Erin leave, but I don't think having more of you around is a bad thing at all!
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
It's been three years? Seriously?

Well I wish you the best of luck in the future Erin!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all of your hard work Erin and good luck with your future projects.

I assume someone else is going to be handling the stream from now on? (Well I hope so anyways or else Bamboo won't have any time for sleeping!) Well either way I'm glad both columns are staying.

Anyways I found that how much I enjoy Ergo Proxy really depends on my mood while watching it. The first time I loved it and really got caught up in the characters and story. But the second time I found it boring and wondered why I liked it so much, only to love it again the third time I watched it.
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see you go. I disagreed with you on many of your reviews, but they were always an interesting read. I wish you the best.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I expected this to happen when Erin announced that she'd been accepted into a graduate program.

I read Shelf Life regularly from early 2003 to some time in late 2004, becoming quite accustomed to it being Bamboo's bailiwick, so it was a surprise to come back last year and find Erin writing it. (And to see how the format of anime releases had changed) I didn't mind the change at all and I thought that Erin always did a very fine job. Three years of a rough column and a battle scar in the shape of Casshern are a pretty good achievement.

I was a little surprised that Bamboo will resume writing Shelf Life; I thought that they'd find a new writer for it. I figure that Bamboo will announce that The Stream will henceforth monthly, under new management or that she's cloned herself. However it works, there's something cozy about seeing her step back into her old digs.

Farewell, good luck and well done, Mrs. Finnegan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody seems to want to give Ergo Proxy unqualified praise, yet no matter how much they qualify their praise, they seldom condemn it. I guess that's a problem with ambitious shows; they seldom outright fail since there's always the sheer effort and intent to applaud, but they can very easily get resigned to a very shiny heap of also-rans.

I'm always disappointed to read that Re-l isn't really the lead, because she seems like a pretty cool character and one that I can't deny is up my alley. Ah well, I think that I'd still like to give it a look since it's fairly accessible now and should at least be an interesting failure.

Erin Finnegan wrote:
Since at one time it was on Adult Swim...

I do not recall this happening.

Despite Erin's warnings, I want to see This Boy Can Fight Aliens too. Even when they fail, there's something that I find endearing about earnest auteurs like Sōbi Yamamoto. Besides, while I'm not into bishies, there's something appealing to me about very small casts like that; such a constrained scope can lend things a compelling feeling of intimacy. I fully expect that it'll feel like something that was better suited to being an extra feature on a much later, more mature work and maybe it'll be that some day, but for now, it's a cost that I can afford to bear, one of these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on sticking it out for three straight years, Erin! @W@ Sad to see you stepping down from the position, I've enjoyed reading the column every week, but I can only imagine what kind of crazy time commitment it must have been, so I understand. Sad Thanks for all the laughs, little stories, and fun recommendations! ^O^ b Hope to maybe see some other writings from you here and there on ANN or elsewhere down the line~

EDIT: Cheese and rice, those shelves. O_____________o You could open up a library! Anime hyper

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Best of luck to you Erin. We may have not always seen eye to eye on things (and I still feel you have extended beyond the reviewing line at some points), I have also agreed with you on many things as well. I am looking forward to seeing Bamboo take the reins once again though in what I imagine will be some sort of mash-up between Shelf Life and The Stream.

Also, your feelings on Oblivion Island's success misguide you. It bombed miserably, making just 3 million USD in the 3 weeks it was on the charts with its 200+ screen release. I'm sure its creators and financial backers had hoped it had done much, much better than that.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope you like mice as detectives.

Bye Erin! We had some good times, some bad times, some awkward times, and some..."memorable" times.
But it was great~ Smile
Good luck!!

(Yay, now Bamboo has two articles to worry about!! Very Happy)

Ergo Proxy: I tried to like this show but right around the "game show" episode, I just wanted to quit. I didn't like the grey, the blatant attempts to be 'symbolic' (Pino, the android-Pinocchio; real clever Rolling Eyes) or the attempts to answer many philosophical questions, which were meant to be pondered on, as though they were taking a dang test. It tried to be deep and just didn't like it.

This Boy Can Fight Aliens!: So...I'm not done yet, which is odd since its only 40 mins(?) long but that illustrates my slight frustration with the artwork and heavy use of graphics.
Quote:
This isn't really about alien fighting, after all.

Yeah, I read/comment Theron's review not that long ago.

Quote:
I was hoping for more aliens and less “bromance.” (Not that there's anything wrong with that. We all love Kids on the Slope, right?)

Hehehehe.
Speaking of memorable times...Wink

Not much to say about Oblivion Island since I haven't seen it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading Shelf life since way back, when Bamboo was writing it, and I continued reading through the transition to you Erin. I was a huge fan of Bamboo's because her review style reminds me a lot of Roger Ebert, who I am also a big fan of (I love the whole sarcastic movie reviewer angle, which Ebert has gotten down to a science). Thus, when she took her leave and you came in, you had very high expectations to meet. I am very happy to say you more than met all expectations, and that is why I have continued to read every week. Your review style is very relatable to the reader. Reading your reviews feels more like having a friend talk to you about a show rather than a person up on high somewhere giving their nod of approval or their thumbs down of shame. I am certainly sad to see you go, but wish you well in your next endeavor. Thank you for the fantastic years of reviews!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that Shelf Life will become fortnightly and will alternate with The Stream. It's the simplest way Bamboo can cover both.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Man that collection looks lived in or... perhaps like it is with its rightful owner, or even something like a mini version of mine? Very Happy Very nice though. I really appreciated your writing here Erin, it helped me in my never ending quest to find more good shows to enjoy, and for that I just wanted to say thanks, Thank you for your take on all of these shows you've had a chance to enjoy/suffer through.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Good luck Erin! Here's hoping you can still write the occasional guest column or something. Your tastes were often quite different from mine (drastically so in some cases), but it was still interesting to read your remarks.

Regarding The Stream, a little while back, Zac announced on twitter that he was looking for a writer to handle some regular feature on ANN, but didn't give details. I suspect that Bamboo may actually be passing the The Stream on to someone else now. Or possibly it will become a joint column, with Bamboo and this new writer each focusing on half the shows each season, rather than have one person try to keep up with everything streaming. Or maybe an accident at the lab infected Bamboo with a weird drug that gave her superhuman abilities.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Have three years gone by that quickly? Man, where did time go? Well last time I made a cowboy Bebop quote, so this time I think I'll go the more traditional route.

Best of lucky Erin , hope whatever you do next brings you success.

Last edited by Teriyaki Terrier on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Good luck Erin! Here's hoping you can still write the occasional guest column or something. Your tastes were often quite different from mine (drastically so in some cases), but it was still interesting to read your remarks.

Regarding The Stream, a little while back, Zac announced on twitter that he was looking for a writer to handle some regular feature on ANN, but didn't give details. I suspect that Bamboo may actually be passing the The Stream on to someone else now. Or possibly it will become a joint column, with Bamboo and this new writer each focusing on half the shows each season, rather than have one person try to keep up with everything streaming. Or maybe an accident at the lab infected Bamboo with a weird drug that gave her superhuman abilities.

I was looking for a writer to take over Gia's List.

Bamboo will let you know what the plan is for Shelf Life moving forward next week. It's a pretty simple solution and The Stream will continue in a slightly different format/frequency.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4