• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2009 - Con Sketching Blog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
becomedog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but wouldn't you get funny looks if you brought that into a tailor? Anime hyper
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I know quite a few fans of Lolita fashion, more specifically Gothic variants thereof. So as to avoid conveying any stereotypical judgements though, I have always abstained from inquiring in to how their fashion style is named as it is.

My best assumption is that some 'dilution' in the general connotations of the word must have gradually occurred since the initial fame of Nabokov's novel, retaining only a general association with youth and youthfulness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most sane "Lolita" people act like normal people, and the people who act like they are from the 1800s should be told to lay off a bit

Sorry if this offends anyone, but if any person actually belives and acts like they are from the 1800's (for example, Princess Elisabeth of Savoy-Carignan), they seriously need a psychological evaluation.

Also, how could anyone not know what a tailor is? The profession has been around since the early thirteenth century. The word is listed in almost every dictionary book ever created and has been mentioned countless times in the media.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:
Most sane "Lolita" people act like normal people, and the people who act like they are from the 1800s should be told to lay off a bit

Sorry if this offends anyone, but if any person actually belives and acts like they are from the 1800's (for example, Princess Elisabeth of Savoy-Carignan), they seriously need a psychological evaluation.

Who said believe? I believe the commonly used term is "role-playing".
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:

Who said believe? I believe the commonly used term is "role-playing".

As I read the article that was talking about the sane people in that group, I figured if they are acting like they are from the 1800's, which is quite strange since Lolita has only been around since 1970. [url]teamsugar.com/group/1053666/blog/1057156 [/url]

I did a little research (both from Wikipedia and that site) and both say its been around since 1970 or so.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I like the whole Victorian side of the lolita fashion thing. There is also a side of it for guys, like elegant gothic aristocrat instead of lolita or something. I like that Victorian style as opposed to the more punk styles you see in most American gothic fashion. Of course now everyone's finally going all out steampunk which is in the same ballpark.

Also, that photo by the fountain is awesome for its gaggle of red and blue Team Fortress 2 cosplayers.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
As I read the article that was talking about the sane people in that group, I figured if they are acting like they are from the 1800's, which is quite strange since Lolita has only been around since 1970. http://teamsugar.com/group/1053666/blog/1057156

What's the first line of that entry say? Influenced by Victorian children's clothing and the Rococo period?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
It seems like Whack-a-Catgirl events are everywhere nowadays. Can't there be some other game?
s-girl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
With respect to your sketch for Day 2, I think you hit on something I've noticed the past two years or so (and this is as someone who came "late" into the anime convention scene in the early 2000s) and that is the old fans are far outnumbered and not comfortable.

I sat in the Artist Alley at several conventions for a few years now and have had a number of discussions with older guests. Some of us come to these things because well, we've done it for the past ten years, but one guy said "Most of my friends who used to come have outgrown this or have moved on."

Sad to say, most of mine have too. They still watch it. They still buy it. (Yes, because we're old fogies and we still believe in supporting shows we like.) But all the folks who used to travel with me to conventions in the 2000s run faaaaar away from them now.

Find me a good medium sized con that brings in the Japanese guests, doesn't cater to teens, and in a nice hotel, and maybe I can convince all the old fans to come back out to conventions.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
This was actually my first con of any sort (hopefully I'll be able to get to the juggling con in Philly this year). I saw mention of the light rails, I live in the suburbs near the light rail and while my friends and I didn't see anyone noticeably cosplaying or into anime on Friday, we saw other people with their badges on both Saturday and Sunday (and on Sunday we learned that the light rails don't run until 11 so I got my mom to give us a quick ride down there). So, I probably wasn't the only one to just stay put in the suburbs and take the light rail down, it worked pretty well.

Part of this being my first con was me having no idea what to do. Sure, I still had fun and I certainly learned my lesson about eating more regularly during the con, but the only panel I went to was Frederik Schodt's panel on Astro Boy and Osamu Tezuka. I only saw two videos, Baccano (which was more to get my friends to see it, I've seen it already) and Otaku no Video. Next time, I plan to go to more panels that involve industry people, since I really liked Fred Schodt's panel. Guess everyone has to have a first con in which they kinda have no idea what to do, but next time outta be even better! Otaku no Video and Fred Schodt's panel both had plenty of empty seats, but some of my friends tried to get into the anime heckling panel and got cut off two people in front of them, for some reason I thought industry related panels would be more popular.

I noticed comments about the con being geared towards teens, and even though it was my first time, I can see that being true for the most part. My one friend (who didn't go this year) said that two years ago, everything was catered to the Naruto/Bleach crowd and that he hated the whole con that year. Being weird, the first thing I got in the dealer's room was the last volume I needed for Phoenix, but I saw a lot of Code Geass, Naruto, and Gurren Lagann (although TTGL stuff pleased me) related stuff in the wall scrolls, shirts, toys, etc. area.

I think the most common cosplays I saw were the Team Fortress 2 Scout, random Naruto characters (the ones with the black coat with clouds on it), and maybe Kingdom Hearts characters, two out of three categories being more geared towards younger fans of anime (at least in my opinion). Apparently there were Princess Tutu cosplayers and I missed them!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
s-girl wrote:
Find me a good medium sized con that brings in the Japanese guests, doesn't cater to teens, and in a nice hotel, and maybe I can convince all the old fans to come back out to conventions.

Whatever happened to that 21+ con that was somewhere in New England? Had I the time and resources, I'd have gone just to see whether it was mature or "mature."

I think to kids, an anime con is just another place to hang out with friends and escape without having to really go anywhere. It really doesn't matter to them what the convention offers because it doesn't matter that much as long as they can be social. For everyone else (who may also be with friends, but aren't as tight-knit as HS bonds can be), programming matters and when I don't have a panel to run, I often find myself with nothing to do because there's no panel or video I find interesting. I liked the industry-related stuff and wish there was more of it, honestly, but that's probably not going to happen given The Way Things Are and all.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
So was the Naomi Tamura panel before or after she sang at Otakon? I feel bad for her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1