• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online eps. 8-14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I don't know about the author's intentions (though I'm feeling increasingly cynical about them), but as far as the finished product goes in anime form, I agree with Bluenoser. There are some legitimate criticisms to be made, but I think a few people are jumping on basic human traits as signs of weakness and dependency. You don't need to be a Strong Female Character to be a strong female character.

Yes, but Asuna is neither.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Fenceddude: I don't really disagree with you, but what are you comparing to? Are you aware of the norm in anime over the (recent?) years? In my opinion, the handling in SAO was easily above average. Very easily.

Unrelated remarks including spoilers up to Ep15: spoiler[Everyone who died could simply have woken up in real life, and nobody within the game would have known the difference. I guess that would have made a sequel sort of impossible, though. (Edit: Though helmet removal would still need to lead to death, so I guess it wouldn't make sense for the dev to be psychotic enough to kill but still willing to lie in order to spare lives.)

As far as the developer's motives: considering the inexplicable second game he was keeping secret, it may simply be that he was lying and hasn't revealed them yet.

It was easy to imagine interesting happenings in real life while the series was restricted to the game world (notwithstanding those saying things like "Plot holes!! How would they poop??"). I'm disappointed that so little has now been revealed about the RL situation, and what has been revealed seems implausible (not allowed to talk about what happened?? The whole world would be clamouring for the story).]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Fenceddude: I don't really disagree with you, but what are you comparing to? Are you aware of the norm in anime over the (recent?) years? In my opinion, the handling in SAO was easily above average. Very easily.

If thats true, that would be terrible.

Thankfully, its not actually true. Things aren't great for female characters, but they're way better than they used to be.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
Umm, OK... I guess I'll take your word for it. Scrolling down the list of Crunchyroll streams or whatever, you really see primarily shows with strong female characters? It seemed to me there were more along the lines of "My sister is in love with me!" or moe stuff, but those may be full of strong female characters for all I know. I'd actually be interested in some recommendations.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Scrolling down the list of Crunchyroll streams or whatever, you really see primarily shows with strong female characters?

What. How does "its better than it used to be (and holy crap SAO isn't a good one and thank god its not actually one of the better ones)" translate to "shows with strong female characters make up the bulk of what gets made"? Hell, he even said its still not that good! Just that its better than it used to be!

Also, how much of any given season CR picks up varies quite a bit. Last season they got what felt like most of the season. They barely got crap this season. CR missing even a few shows that have good female characters could throw off things significantly. You'd be better off looking at the anime charts that get made for every season for at least the last several years.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Well, "stronger female characters", then.

I'm not saying it isn't better than it used to be (though I'm pretty sure I've seen more scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel gutter stuff in the last few years than previously, also). Just that scrolling down the list, I see a lot of things that I have difficulty imagining being better than abhorrent. Many shows I did take a chance on turned out to be far more cringe-worthy than SAO.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
CR missing even a few shows that have good female characters could throw off things significantly.

A fair point, but if shows with better female characters are the norm, missing even a few bottom-dwelling harem shows would throw the average off even more significantly.

Last edited by Sven Viking on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Well, "stronger female characters", then.

I'm not saying it isn't better than it used to be (though I'm pretty sure I've seen more scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel gutter stuff in the last few years than previously, also). Just that scrolling down the list, I see a lot of things that I have difficulty imagining being better than abhorrent. Many shows I did take a chance on turned out to be far more cringe-worthy than SAO.

So what, you are judging shows you haven't seen?

Thats...not going to be a good strategy. Also, tons of confirmation bias in your post.

Not to mention, if you honestly think SAO's a good example, then I wouldn't think highly of your being able to determine what good female characters are.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
How does "above average" translate to "a good example"?

About shows I haven't seen: That's why I'd appreciate recommendations.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
CR missing even a few shows that have good female characters could throw off things significantly.

A fair point, but if shows with better female characters are the norm, missing even a few bottom-dwelling harem shows would throw the average off even more significantly.

Er, no. See, you're still acting like he said we're in the amazing place where the vast majority of shows have great female characters. He didn't say that. He said its better than it used to be. What he's saying (and I share this view) is that it used to be terrible and now its less terrible.

Essentially, if 98% of shows used to be absolutely terrible and now only 85% of shows are terrible and about 10% are kinda crummy but better than the past, and 5% are at least decently good, then losing a few shows from that crappy 75% won't make much difference, but just missing just one or two shows from that 10% of 5% makes a big difference.

Either way, CR is not a reliable method to gauge things. Look at *everything* that's airing in each season, not just what CR picks up. CR is always missing a lot more than just 2 or 3 shows.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
Hitokiri: We're talking about the average. The point of contention was whether Asuna is above or below the norm. It's therefore not about good or bad characters, but better or worse characters. What you're saying actually supports my argument.

It's a good point about crunchyroll, though. Just can't watch everything.

Last edited by Sven Viking on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Hitokiri: We're talking about the average. The point of contention was whether Asuna is above or below the norm. It's therefore not about good or bad characters, but better or worse characters.

It's a good point about crunchyroll, though. Just can't watch everything.

The average is irrelevant, and even if it weren't, Asuna's not above average. She was originally, but not by the end of episode 14. (and certainly not now. lololol)
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
If the average is irrelevant, what are we arguing about? I said I agreed with you with that one caveat.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
well, newest episode continues the huge flaws spoiler[this time with an unabashedly evil strawman antagonist whose evil of course goes unnoticed by Asuna's father. At least played by Takehito Koyasu so I fully expect some glorious scenery-chewing at some point]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Let's keep "new episode" discussion to the main series thread in the Anime forum.

And I think it's way, way too early to justify the "continue the huge flaws" comment anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8