• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Harem Harumph

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

If a show exists to sell toys, how can I trust it to have artistic integrity?

If "artistic integrity" is that important to you, you are in the wrong hobby.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not a "mecha fan" if that also means I have to put up with crap like Fafner and Gundam Seed Destiny. Let's all hope nobody feels that way.

I'm shamed to admit it but I like Fafner! It's actually one of my favorite franchises despite the sameface! The mecha designs are pretty awesome and the idea behind the Festum is pretty cool.

Animegomaniac wrote:

I also liked Linebarrels of Iron too so maybe I don't actually like Mecha shows. Anyways, it shows what happens when a teenage boy gains control of a giant robot and yeah, it's not as pretty as it should be. Heroism, meet puberty! Unlike Envangelion which is only realistic if Shinji was neutered {That would explain a lot if it was true though}

I actually really liked Kouichi early on in Linebarrels because of the fact that he wasn't all that likable and did do what I'd expect myself to if I got some sort of amazing power and a giant robot though I can see what people would dislike Kouichi because of it.

TitanXL wrote:

Precure is a toy commercial. The problem stems form close-minded ignorant people who think 'toy commercial' makes a show automatically bad or something. They seem to forget that a lot of the 'best series evar' are toy commercials, like Evangelion, Sailor Moon, Kamen Rider W, Zeta Gundam (pretty much any mecha anime), and so forth. This is to say nothing of all the otaku anime which lives or dies by it's sales and merchandise. Complaining about 'commercials' in anime is like complaining about the ocean at the beach, it's the entire point of it's existence at the end of the day.

And you lost me. You were going perfectly fine until you mentioned that Evangelion was a toy commercial.

It's far from it. It's a publicity sheep and great promotion material nowadays though! It's just not a toy commercial in the sense that most Gundam series only exist to push forward and promote new model kits.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Anime is a commercial product. All anime exists to sell merchandise; whether that merchandise is toy robots, hug pillows, or tickets to the Ghibli Museum.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Well, one of the mecha shows I like is Gravion, a mecha/harem series {Oh yeah. There's one problem right there}.

I love Gravion myself but the thing I hate about it is the harem aspect... specifically because the harem doesn't belong to the main character! Pissed me off to see pretty much every single female character fall for Touga when it should have been Eiji instead. Eiji totally got the short end of the stick when it came to... well, pretty much everything in that show. He only got to be the main pilot of Gravion twice. At least he had that cute classmate of his...

Anyways, I want to applaud the first question poster for writing such a well thought out view point. It lined up pretty well with my own (especially the liking the 'losers' more part).

As for this week's Answerfans, I can't really answer it. There is no genre that I don't 'get.' I can understand the appeal of pretty much anything. It's mostly some fan attitudes I don't 'get.'

Specifically, I'm not very fond of yuri. I understand the appeal and see why people would enjoy it, but some fans... I don't get this attitude that "men are disgusting and true, pure love can only exist between females" and "it is impossible for two girls to be just very close friends." Or I suppose I do get it, I just think it's ridiculous.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Anime is a commercial product. All anime exists to sell merchandise; whether that merchandise is toy robots, hug pillows, or tickets to the Ghibli Museum.

It is now, but it wasn't like this just a handful of years ago. It's only exploded within the past 10 years, and it's so lucrative, we're lucky some companies are releasing merchandise of older series.

I do not have an issue with this and I felt, for a long time, it was never done to be advantageous. Though, I have read commentary by stodgy anime staff who absolutely would hate their medium be turned into nothing more than a toy factory. I can understand their position, but this attitude is why the anime industry had to suffer.

Ruling out merchandise in lieu of "artistic merit" is a bone-headed move if survival is dependent on revenue. This "DVD only to support us" attitude has finally waned enough studios can now work towards releasing cheap works and relying on secondary merchandising since sales of plastic disks are dropping like stones in water.

People will buy what they enjoy, and if it's not a disk, then it'll be something else. Here in the US, I feel we're really screwed because we don't get some of the exclusive items Japan will get. We can import them, but lately, production schedules have been all over the place, making combined shipping a horrible experience. No one wants to pay $30 to ship a $7 item, which would have been negligible in a combined order.

This is one of the reasons I've stopped shopping online in Japan. The constant "your order is now schedule to release in [month]" outweigh the "your order has shipped".

It would be appreciative if local industry could manufacture these goods, but the reality is the market for it doesn't exist. It's why we can still see lithographs of Azumanga Daioh at RightStuf for sale.

Not sure what the future will hold for R1, but without merchandise as a secondary revenue source, holding on to the DVD card is a very risky business. Not to sound the death knell, but the writing's definitely on the wall.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
that is because manufacturing techniques have improved.

dont be fooled, people have always collected things, just now its not cards and music CDs anymore.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I love Gravion myself but the thing I hate about it is the harem aspect... specifically because the harem doesn't belong to the main character! Pissed me off to see pretty much every single female character fall for Touga when it should have been Eiji instead. Eiji totally got the short end of the stick when it came to... well, pretty much everything in that show. He only got to be the main pilot of Gravion twice. At least he had that cute classmate of his...

>not shipping Eiji/Touga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

It is now, but it wasn't like this just a handful of years ago. It's only exploded within the past 10 years, and it's so lucrative, we're lucky some companies are releasing merchandise of older series.

Wait, you're being serious? Really?

Baahahahahahahahaha
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
And you lost me. You were going perfectly fine until you mentioned that Evangelion was a toy commercial.

It's far from it. It's a publicity sheep and great promotion material nowadays though! It's just not a toy commercial in the sense that most Gundam series only exist to push forward and promote new model kits.

Those wacky kiddy toy/video game commercials seem to suggest otherwise. Remember, Eva's a kids show, after all (Fun Fact of the Day: When Evangelion first premiered, it took over Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's timeslot. No, seriously.) Evangelion is one of the most over-marketed and exploited anime out there to this day, which is pretty amazing for a 26 episode series and some movies to be honest. The block it aired on pretty much confirms it was a marketing show.

Quote:
You have to understand the cultural context behind it. In the 80's, there was a TON of cartoons in the US that were glorified toy commercials. And they sucked. And a lot of really bad cartoons still are made solely for th purpose of pushing toys. So that's why "toy commercial" is a four-letter word to some westerners.

Shame that those 80s shows put off people, but I would hope they wouldn't judge anime the same way as them out of common sense. Two different cultures and all that (TMNT/Eva being inter-changable)
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
First Answerman Questioner wrote:
...or so elite and refined in your tastes that you have to put your monocle on before you even start talking.

I don't know . . .

( •_•)

( •_•)> ರೃ

(ರೃ_•)

. . . what you're talking about.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

It's sad that you have such a low opinion of the thing you're apparently a fan of.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

It's sad that you have such a low opinion of the thing you're apparently a fan of.

Its called being realistic.

Does the fact that it was intended to (and had done a very good job at) sell merch (BDs, CDs, manga, figures, etc etc) at all lessen, say, Madoka Magica?

A good property will be a good property, regardless of its "integrity". Thats why Madoka was a success and Fractale was a failure. Its not because one was more "pure" than the other, its because one was good and the other, well, wasn't.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
>not shipping Eiji/Touga

Haha, it's not that I don't like yaoi (I actually like it more than yuri oddly enough), but I just don't like Touga. I wouldn't ship him with anyone.

As for 'artistic integrity', I could care less about that. What's important is the entertainment value. Look at Flag: unique concept and presentation but it was boring as hell.

In general even merchandise driven shows do keep their integrity, but sometimes we do get Gundam SEED Destiny.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Specifically, I'm not very fond of yuri. I understand the appeal and see why people would enjoy it, but some fans... I don't get this attitude that "men are disgusting and true, pure love can only exist between females" and "it is impossible for two girls to be just very close friends." Or I suppose I do get it, I just think it's ridiculous.

As a man, I can tell you it is true, men are disgusting and pure love can only exist between two females.

My anti-genre is Mecha. I hate nearly everything about it, the fights, the physics defying manevuers, the melodrama, the riduclous special attacks. I do, however, love the Asura Cryin' series, but that was more for the characters than the mecha. Of course, the reasons I liked it are probably the reasons why everyone else hated it, wasn't the worst watched show on Crunchyroll for awhile?

And as for the magical girl genre, I prefer the old school, from the eighties and nineties. Give me some Minky Momo, or Creamy Mami or Akazukin Chacha or for that matter, Cardcaptor Sakura. I don't dig these new-fangled shows targeted at otaku men. Not my scene.

Quote:
I'm just an anime fan, guys! We can compartmentalize and section each other off as much as we want, I guess, but I don't like cutting myself off of new things I might enjoy

Exactly. I will watch anything, from boys love to shounen tournaments, from seventies' Harlock to the moeblob of the aughts. I am more likely to watch certain genres I enjoy, but I won't turn away from something solely on its genre.

And as for the aspiring Visual Novel artist, please follow the Answerman's advice. Tell the story you want to tell, and forget about appealing to the fans. Let me quote from one my favorite books, Hyperion, by Dan Simmons:
Quote:
I tried on the measured nobility of Milton’s verse. Gaining confidence, I added the romantic sensuality of a Byron matured by a Keatish celebration of the language. Stirring all this, I seasoned the mixture with a dash of Yeats’s brilliant cynicism and a pinch of Pound’s obscure, scholastic arrogance. I chopped, diced, and added such ingredients as Eliot’s control of imagery, Dylan Thomas’s feel for place, Delmore Schwartz’s sense of doom, Steve Tem’s touch of horror, Salmud Brevy’s plea for innocence, Daton’s love of the convoluted rhyme scheme, Wu’s worship of the physical and Edmond Ki Fererra’s radical playfulness.
In the end, of course, I threw this entire mixture out and wrote the Cantos in a style all my own.

Forget about worrying about influences and fan reception. Write the story in your own style, and we'll all be better off.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

There's a difference between yuri shipping (which is, you know, shipping) and actual yuri as a genre, and you really shouldn't confuse the two.

That being said, for some people if a girl doesn't standup and proclaim to the heavens that she's a lesbian, than no matter how she acts, she's just waiting for the right guy to come along and she'll get over it.

Its a very limiting mindset. (and yes, the same goes for yaoi subtext)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6