• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Harem Harumph

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I didn't mean it like that. It's just they probably shouldn't act like they're a member of the offended group and fancy themselves a champion of the cause. If homosexuals had a problem with it they don't need others to voice their complaints for them.

....I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

Quote:
No, I started it by saying that I get yuri as a genre, but I don't get certain fans' attitudes about it.

Except those are two different things. Also, if you were discussing an explicitly yuri show, or a show where the yuri was one of the main draws, you probably shouldn't be surprised if the fans are less than accepting of a het pairing.

But again, since you don't seem to want to be specific, I can't really say. But there are definitely a few pairings that I would not be surprised to see yuri fans react negatively towards.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Except those are two different things.

I know. I was pretty clear in distinguishing the two from the start.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Because cyber bullying doesn't happen?

Don't you even dare try to equate this with actual cyber bullying.
Yeah, avoid exposure at all costs. Laughing
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Except those are two different things.

I know. I was pretty clear in distinguishing the two from the start.

The fact that you even brought up the fanbase was pointless, since thats not the question at hand, and was simply a way for you to "justify" not liking yuri.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

There's also Aoi Hana (Sweet Blue Flowers), by the same author as Wandering Son, and Sasameki Koto. All of these aren't subtext-only and really good shows.

I'm well aware. I own the JP DVDs for Sasameki Koto (and Hourou Musuko; kinda wanted to get the Aoi Hana ones but couldn't justify it for various reasons). But I wasn't talking about quality, I was talking about popularity. Both of those came and went and didn't amount to much in the yuri fandom. Strawberry Panic made much more of a splash. They also both aired in 2009 (Aoi Hana in Summer, Sasameki Koto in Fall). It's been nearly three years since Sasameki Koto and in the time since, Yuru Yuri is the only "yuri" show we've gotten. And that's really depressing.

maaya wrote:
Or Candy Boy, but I haven't seen that one.

I keep forgetting Candy Boy even exists. Only saw about 2 episodes of it myself. It predates Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto though, and I was talking specifically about the dearth of yuri in the past few years.

maaya wrote:
But I think none of them is anywhere as popular as Maria or Yuru Yuri. So maybe those are more what the readers are looking for ...

Yuru Yuri's relative success certainly suggests that, sadly.

Vaisaga wrote:

On the internet, obviously Laughing It's been awhile since I've had any real issues with it anyways so it's pretty much all in the past. Doesn't make for pleasent memories, though, but there were plenty of yuri fans that I did get along with, which is why I've been making sure to clarify that only some fans were the problem.

I'm still curious where on earth you found a place on the internet that wasn't dedicated to yuri and had even a large minority of yuri fans. The only thing that would make any sense would be a series specific place for a show that had a significant yuri following (like Nanoha or PreCure).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The only thing that would make any sense would be a series specific place for a show that had a significant yuri following (like Nanoha or PreCure).

And if he went into a Nanoha community and started advocating Yunoha, he goddamn well deserved the mauling he probably received.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Here are my random thoughts about what I've read:

Thought #1:I've stated it before and I'll state it again. I'm no fan of the yaoi or yuri genres. They're certainly not my cup of tea and I certainly wouldn't read them. I'm more a fan of traditional boy-girl romances. I'm not going to stop others from reading them,but I'm not going to read them,either. And,if other people think I've gone overboard in condemning BL and GL manga,maybe they should consider I've read far worse comments on other sites so mine aren't as extreme as others I've read.

Thought #2:I've read some comments that say that Amy and Lita from "Sailor Moon" are secret lesbians. That's not my opinion. I've seen the show. I think they're just close friends. And besides,Lita is always on the lookout for a boyfriend because she doesn't have one and she's always wanted one. There are quite a few boys who'd love to date her. As for Amy herself,she's more focused on studying and getting good grades to worry about her love life. There was a short in which Amy almost fell in love with a boy. I don't know how it ended because I've never seen it. DIC never got it and never dubbed it into English.
So this thing about Amy and Lita being in love with each other is something I don't put a whole lot of stock in. I've never seen any evidence of it when I watched the show.

Well,those are my thoughts. So long for now.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
And,if other people think I've gone overboard in condemning BL and GL manga,maybe they should consider I've read far worse comments on other sites so mine aren't as extreme as others I've read.

"Sure, I may be a homophobe, but other people are homophobic even worse! So its fine"

Quote:
Amy and Lita

>Amy and Lita
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yes, because only lesbians could possibly think that positive depictions of female homosexuality in media are a good thing.

>Yuri
>Positive depiction of lesbianism

Come on , dude. Most yuri is blatant wish-fufillment, and, for the Japanese fans, laced with homophobic undertones of "lesbianism isn't 'real' love". That's why so many yuri shows only have subtext.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I've just read Fencedude5609's response to one of my posts so I'm going to respond to him. He basically called me a homophobe because I'm not a fan of BL and GL manga. That is stupid. Just because I'm not don't like yaoi or yuri manga and anime doesn't make me homophobic. I guess you might say,I more of a traditionalist. I happen to like traditional romances that's all. I'm not stopping anyone from reading BL and GL stuff. I'm saying it's not for me,and there are others who share my opinions. You may like BL and GL stuff and that's fine. Yaoi and yuri stuff aren't for me. Please don't label me a homophobe just because I'm not fond of a particular genre of anime and manga.
I'm also not too crazy about the horror genre either. Are you or someone else going to attack me just because I'm not a horror fan? Do you see how ridiculous you sound Fencedude? Just because I like traditional romances doesn't make me homophobic. We have different tastes that's all. I like comedies. You might not. It's all up to personal preference.

As for my second thought,the reason I used Amy and Lita was that was the names that those two girls were given when the series was first brought to America. It's easier for me to remember their English language names rather than their Japanese names. That's all.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

>Yuri
>Positive depiction of lesbianism

Come on , dude. Most yuri is blatant wish-fufillment, and, for the Japanese fans, laced with homophobic undertones of "lesbianism isn't 'real' love". That's why so many yuri shows only have subtext.

And a lot of yuri fans don't like yuri manga that do stuff like that.

Also conflating actual yuri manga with shows that just have subtext is missing the point.

I'm not saying that yuri as a genre is perfect, but goddammit, its better than having nothing at all.

Quote:
I guess you might say,I more of a traditionalist.

Yeah fudge you too.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Here are my random thoughts about what I've read:

Nobody cares that you don't like yaoi or yuri manga. If I catch you bringing it up again, I'm going to ban you. Again.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And a lot of yuri fans don't like yuri manga that do stuff like that.

Really? I had thought that most yuri fans were the "otaku" type who liked things like Yuru Yuri.

As for not conflating yuri manga and shows that merely have subtext, why do those shows and their fans bill them as yuri then? [/quote]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Really? I had thought that most yuri fans were the "otaku" type who liked things like Yuru Yuri.

A) You are making blanket assumptions about people

B) Yes, many yuri fans like Yuruyuri, because its cute, sweet, funny and has lesbians in it. No, its not super dramatic relationship angst, which is why quite a few people like it.

Quote:
why do those shows and their fans bill them as yuri then?

Becaue we enjoy shows that have yuri subtext? I don't know of any non-yuri show that explicitly bills itself as yuri, because, well, that would be dumb. That being said, shows like Madoka Magica or Nanoha clearly are highly targeted towards people who like that sort of thing. And there is nothing wrong with that.

And then there are shows like Horizon, which has a pair of lesbians in the main cast, and no one in the show gives a damn. There's a reason /u/ loves Horizon, its one of the most generally sex-positive shows out there, and treats all loving relationships equally.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
B) Yes, many yuri fans like Yuruyuri, because its cute, sweet, funny and has lesbians in it. No, its not super dramatic relationship angst, which is why quite a few people like it.

No, it has archetypes. Who happen to be lesbians.

I am not a fan of yuri. This doesn't mean that I dislike reading about lesbian relationships--in one story I'm writing, two are the characters are this Japanese chick and this Korean chick who are in love with each other, and they're some of my favorite characters to write. But "yuri" to me generally implies lesbian relationships that exist pretty much solely to fuel Otaku fantasies.

I remember reading the Strawberry Panic novel and I had to quit because it was just fake in my eyes.

Quote:
Becaue we enjoy shows that have yuri subtext? I don't know of any non-yuri show that explicitly bills itself as yuri, because, well, that would be dumb. That being said, shows like Madoka Magica or Nanoha clearly are highly targeted towards people who like that sort of thing. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Madoka doesn't have a lot of yuri subtext to me, besides Sayaka/Kyouko. And Sayaka was in love with Kyousuka anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6