• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Sword Art Online, Blast of Tempest, Magi Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Good lord what happens if you love more than one series, is that not allowed for true fans?
Pick and choose, it's something you're going to have to do, especially if you're someone like me who has seen a lot, and has loved a lot of shows.
Yeah no! That's your choice to spend a fortune on one series. It's my choice to support more than one series I love.
I was talking about picking and choosing from what you love.

You can't possibly support every single show you love.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

With US prices I haven't had a problem. With Japanese import prices I probably would. I'd rather not have to pick & choose.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Quote:

Some people can, it all depends on your income and priorities. Aniplex makes it rather difficult, but it is not impossible. Buying everything that comes out each month would be difficult, but very few people love everything. Buying every thing you like is not that big a problem.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Quote:

Some people can, it all depends on your income and priorities. Aniplex makes it rather difficult, but it is not impossible. Buying everything that comes out each month would be difficult, but very few people love everything. Buying every thing you like is not that big a problem.
For someone like me, it is, especially when you consider I actively started buying anime last year, so my collection isn't all that big. To buy everything I liked, it would take a lot of money as I've liked nearly every anime I've ever watched. What I've watched.

This is why I mainly focus on buying the titles I loved, but even buying just that will be impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
And right there...would you rather spend money on 1 series you relaly love or spend that money on series that are "ok" in your own books? I would rather have my money go to that series I really love, instead of a series that's decent. Just because you can spend more towards Funimation or Sentai, doesn't mean you have to.

If you look at a price tab on show and gap at it (any show) like the company is insane, then you weren't all into the series, like you thought you were. Becuase honestly, a really big fan of the series would be more then willing to put up the money for it, but a more causal wouldn't. Clearly, the group that complains about the price are the causal fans.

Thats going off the impression that everyone just loves [insert Aniplex title] though. If I could get a couple of series I really love - lets say FMA:B and Summer Wars - then why wouldn't I go for that over SAO, which I think is only decent? If you buy the shows you love and they happen to be cheaper than the maybe-Id-blind-buy-it-if-it-was-cheaper or maybe-if-it-goes-on-sale-Ill-buy-it shows, how does that make you a bad person?

If you can buy it and feel like it's worth it, more power to ya. But you can't fault people for buying cheaper releases that they'll legitimately get more enjoyment [And potentially content] out of over one big title that they won't.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
@ ShanaFan852
I understand, when you first start out it is like being a kid in a candystore with a fistful of coins. You don't know where to look first, much less what to buy. Very Happy However, if you remain a fan you will eventually catch up. As I said, it is a matter of priorities and income. No one can tell you what you should buy, you have to decide that yourself. As far as Aniplex is concerned, waiting may be a good policy.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
I would suggest that anyone who purchases SAO at any price has taken leave of their senses.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
I was interested in buying SAO but my opinion on it was more "it would be nice to own" than "must own."

Knowing that it's going to cost what 6 or 7 LEs from Funimation or NISA would cost makes it an easy skip.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I would suggest that anyone who purchases SAO at any price has taken leave of their senses.

Ha Ha I have to admit my personal opinion is the series itself is not worth a penny as well.

Now I am more concerned about Magi. I enjoyed the first two episodes but I think it will have to become an absolute favorite to pay Aniplex prices.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
BTW: the reason why giving the "I'm in a hurry" excuse resulted in a worse result than giving no reason at all is because "I'm in a hurry" is a pretty crappy excuse in and of itself. So of course you're better off not using it at all.

Yes, its a meaningless excuse (wanting to cut into line already demonstrates that you are "in a hurry") ... but as I said, it resulted in substantially better results to offer a noise excuse than to offer no excuse at all.

As far as "I'd like to hear what it was you didn't like about it, to get an idea whether its the kind of thing that I'm bothered by", yes, if that had been the request ...
... instead of what read a bit more like a per-emptory demand to be given a reason because anyone who states an subjective reaction to an anime thereby automatically owes everyone else in the comment thread a reason for that opinion ...
... the side discussion that elicited might indeed have been substantially shorter.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
... instead of what read a bit more like a per-emptory demand to be given a reason because anyone who states an subjective reaction to an anime thereby automatically owes everyone else in the comment thread a reason for that opinion ...

Ah, yeah. I agree that no one is *owed* any sort of explanation for a subjective opinion. While an explanation might be nice, it's really up to the individual if he wants to give it (if he even has one at all).
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Granted, SAO could be cheaper than FMA and I'd still never buy it, but it was just and example.
sam6782

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
This is too funny
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Can't say it was unexpected, show's a pretty big success. Makes Sentai's snagging of the equally or even larger hit in GuP seem positively genius, but who could have predicted that show's success. Then again, Aniplex and Bandai have different goals, so licensing out a megahit for cheap might still be possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21