• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mecha anime recommendation thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
OsamuTezuka wrote:
Oh one thing I forgot to mention about Nadesico is that the series is an omage to the mecha of Go Nagai in particular (Mazinger/Tranzor Z, Getter Robo, & Grendizer primarily.)

While on the subject of Go Nagai, I should clear up a common misconception about his work. Many incorrectly state that Go Nagai's original Getter Robo series from the 70s was the first combining robot anime. While Getter Robo did popularize the concept, it did not originate it. Osamu Tezuka wrote a story in the Astro Boy manga series back in the 50s, which would later be animated in the 1963 series, (still beating Go Nagai's anime to the punch), and again in the 1980s series, that featured Astro combining with a large number of other robots to form one giant robot.

Go Nagai didn't create Getter though.
It was Ken Ishikawa! Nagai only helped with the original concept.
The franchise is part of the Dynamic Pro catalog, however, because Nagai and Ishikawa were apparently good friends.

And FYI; it was the first PILOTED combining robot.
Astro Boy may have had the story where Astro combined with other robots but he was a robot himself.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali--
You, my dear sir, are an otaku's otaku. I doff my hat to you so that I might honor your otakuness! Cool
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa (and everyone else who liked the Giant Robo OVA), you should definetily give Shin Mazinger a try. It's another crazy awesome re-imagining of a mecha classic by Imagawa and very much in the same vein as GR.

Lots of good shows mentioned in the thread already. I'll write up a few recommendations of my own when I've got the time.
NamasteCSK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that list is gonna take some time to work through! Might as well just start at the top and work my way down! Razz

Thanks for posting it, was looking for something like this Very Happy
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
OsamuTezuka wrote:
Nadesico I just want to point out that there's a new complete box set that just came out last month that includes everything. It includes the series, the movie, (which from what I understand is a new story, not a retelling of the series), and the subbed-only Gekiganger III OVA.

The movie is a sequel to/continuation of the series, much like what the Eden of the East movies were for that series. It is not widely-respected.

A couple for the "fantasy mecha" category:

Maze (aka Maze, The Mega-Burst Space: I don't recall if the OVAs have any, but the TV series' action scenes are a mix of mecha and non-mecha fights, and mecha do figure into parts of the story in a big way. (And this wasn't classified as a mecha series in our Encyclopedia, but I have now corrected that.)

Utawarerumono: While not purely or even primarily a mecha series, one of its story arcs does involve mecha use.

I will never understand why the movie is not respected as it is. I think it was awesome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mecha that I loved watching include:

-Aldnoah.Zero: Yeah, I know. It has issues. So does life, so whatever. Wink I find the protagonist, Inaho to be extremely bright and capable.

-AKB0048: An odd-ball mix of Idol Culture, Future Setting and Mecha. It was so oddm and I -a Metalhead- should have been turned off by it. It wasn't the case.

-Bokurano: Psychological Horror and Tragedy as teenagers essentially have to face death for the sake of their homeworld. Loved it. It was intense, and I felt connected to the characters.

-Bubblegum Crisis (the Orginal): This baby brought me back to the anime world. The cyberpunk epic set in 2032&2033's Mega-Tokyo. Episode's 5 & 6 were a particular delicacy.

-Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 wasn't bad either. Not as good as the original, though.

-Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Well, talk about excess in anime format. It's over-the-top, and intense at the same time. Set in an Alternate History world.

-FLCL... sorta counts, right?

-Knights of Sidonia... but parts of the second season were a bit off for me.

-Martian Successor Nadesico: Oh yes. This is one of the best anime ever. A true wonder. An excelent mix of comedy and drama.

-Neon Genesis Evangelion: Doesn't need introduction.

-RahXephon: I'm going to get a lot of stick for this one, eh?

-Suisei no Gargantia: Whose concept I thought was briliant.

-The Vision of Escaflowne: The perfect marriage of shounen and shoujo. Practically, a opposite-sex teenage wedding (Japanese language-based joke). In all seriousness, it has one of the most compeling fantasy stories of all time.

I still haven't watched the respected Gunbuster, Diebuster, Key the Metal Idol, several Gundam works, Macross, etc.

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
^
So you have seen neither Robotech nor The Super Dimensional Fortress Macross? If/when you've seen both, then I'd very much appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the two series here.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to say Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu the 2005 re-imaging of the 1976 anime Daiku-Maryu Gaiking. I you like the original or want to see a lesser known mecha anime, give it a watch it's on Hulu right now. Hopefully someday someone can put it on dvd over here(I'm looking at you Discotek Media, you have the original Gaiking so why not this one).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2