• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica's Story Will Not End in 3rd Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Goddamnit, Urobuchi, STOP TAKING MY MONEY!
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
WHELP SURE LOOKS spoiler[UROBUCHI IS MAKING PEOPLE DESPAIR ALL OVER AGAIN. Kinda-sorta, at least.] A translation from /a/ given by a user on the youtube link that I provided.... Thar be good grounds for speculah here...

spoiler["Homura: Witches— The most evil harbingers of despair. As well as the accursed final form of magical girls who have fallen into despair. Once before, I had repeated the same time again and again, to wage war against that cruel fate. And in the end, with a single girl as a sacrifice, the cruel cycle of hope and despair was broken. The world was guided towards a new truth. Or so it seemed…

Mami: "Don't even think of chasing me… or we'll have to fight."
Kyoko: "Isn't that Hitomi's nightmare's…"
Sayaka: "Hitomi must have it rough, huh. She tried to make that insensitive blockhead her boyfriend and all…"
QB: "I'm almost certain that that's the very ability of those witches you once told me about…"
Kyoko: "You really don't look like you're trying to make fun of me. You're serious, aren't you?"

Homura:  "There's nothing but a cycle of sadness and hatred. I dream of the day that sorely missed smile comes back to this hopeless world."
Madoka: "Sorry for making you wait. You've always been giving it your all, haven't you?"
Homura: "…Madoka."
Madoka: "Let's go now. From now on, we'll be together forever."]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Hey Juno, just found this audio footage that relates to the movie.... is this by any chance the audio to the little preview of the third film that's at the end of the second movie? If it is, and if you'd really be up for it, maybe you could give a fuller translation? Smile

Well, I just typed up my translation of the audio, but I accidentally backspaced and lost all I typed. If you give me a second, I'll redo it...

[EDIT]

Actually, that translation you just posted is mostly good. I'll still give my own, with a break-down of the visuals I remember as well, and I'm far too direct with my Japanese, so I'll fix one slight mistake in that translation (which may or may not be important), but it's so hard to hear the dialogue, so... yeah. Give me a moment.

[EDIT2]

Here you go. The fix is not that spoiler[Homura wants Madoka to come to the world to save it, but that she just wants her to come back to the world so she can see her again.]

Anyway, here's my translation, as well as a description of the scenes I remembered to go along with it. I might be missing one or two things. My memory is pretty hazy...

--------[START]--------

spoiler[*the preview starts with the camera panning across rubble with painted figures of each of the magical girls*

Homura (narration): Witches-- Those are the disaster "demons" (lit. "Magic users") who spread despair.
And, the magical girls who have fallen into despair, and in the end, are reduced to a cursed form.
The me living then, repeating the same time over and over, to fight against that cruel fate.
And finally, a lone girl's sacrifice, therefore cutting the cruel chains of hope and despair, expectantly guiding the world to a new truth.
...or so it would seem...

*actual clips from the third movie*

*Mami talking to someone off-screen with a cautious grin on her face*

Mami: "Don't think of following me..."

*we see Mami and Kyouko in their magical girl forms in a parking lot(?), weapons ready*

Mami: "...or did you come to fight..."]

spoiler[*Kyouko running through the street, talking into a cellphone*

Kyoko: "Shizuki Hitomi's nightmare...?"

*Sayaka in her school outfit(?), nervously grinning*

Sayaka: "Hitomi must be having trouble, huh. She made that insensitive guy her boyfriend and..."

*Kyuubey's face*

Kyuubey: "Exactly. It's just like the value/ability of the witches you explained once, huh."

*Kyouko, with her back turned to the screen*

Kyouko: "Calling me an 'idiot'... That's... not what you're doing, huh..."

*she shaft-head-tilts toward the screen, with a serious look on her face*

Kyouko: "You're... serious, aren't you."]

spoiler[*Kyuubey is shown with something reflecting in his eyes*

Homura (narration): "Nothing but sadness and hatred repeat. In this word that cannot be saved..."

*closer inspection reveals the reflection to be Ultimate Madoka's silhouette in the starry sky*

Homura: "...the hope to chance upon that dear/missed smile once again..."

*Ultimate Madoka's silhouette reflects in a shaft-head-tilting Sayaka's eyes as well, in space(?)*

Madoka: "Sorry to make you wait. Until now, you've continuously done your best, haven't you~"

*Homura's face, surprised, her eyes reflecting Madoka, too*

Homura: "...Madoka..."

*the actual silhouette of Madoka, but she's on a rocky, moon/asteroid-like rock formation surface now, possibly in front of Homura*

Madoka: "Okay~ Let's go~"

*coming 2013 screen*]

--------[END]--------
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
I don't get why people would automatically trash this newsbit. I'm honestly pretty excited. Besides, they haven't given the property to other writers or other producers. It's the same people working on it, most likely.

It's a bit unfair to say it's a 'cash cow' and other derisive descriptions when the future projects aren't even announced.

Besides, why even say it'll have anything to do with Madoka or any of the girls we've seen? I think it'd be great if we can get a story of other magical girls in the world as well.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was a given... or did I just take a peek into to future without noticing... maybe I just got mixed with the Eva movies...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I don't think Homura's story is done. Until she reunites with Madoka she will never be complete.

...How exactly is that possible spoiler[when Madoka is now not even a being but a supernatural force?]

And stop acting like Homura's mind is nothing but "MADOKA MADOKA MADOKA". It was during the series but the ending implied to me that she had come to terms with spoiler[Madoka's wish].

Let Homerun-chan actually have a existence outside of Madoka for once.

Quote:
Also, there is quite a bit of potential with Mami and Kyouko, who have a history the anime didn't cover at all...

Mami was a walking plot device and Kyouko was gone over pretty well in the limited time they had, so I don't really see the problem with how the anime handled them.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

...How exactly is that possible spoiler[when Madoka is now not even a being but a supernatural force?]

Yuri Valhalla

Quote:
And stop acting like Homura's mind is nothing but "MADOKA MADOKA MADOKA". It was during the series but the ending implied to me that she had come to terms with spoiler[Madoka's wish].

Errr...I don't think we watched the same final episode. Homura's sole reason for existence spoiler[is to protect the world Madoka created. Its her reason for living, and eventually it will be the reason she dies, when she will finally be reunited with Madoka]

Quote:
Mami was a walking plot device and Kyouko was gone over pretty well in the limited time they had, so I don't really see the problem with how the anime handled them.

Thats bullshit.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Let Homerun-chan actually have a existence outside of Madoka for once.

Quote:
Also, there is quite a bit of potential with Mami and Kyouko, who have a history the anime didn't cover at all...

Homura is a magical girl whose existence spoiler[rode on Madoka.] And she continues to fight spoiler[to keep Madoka's wish alive.] However, I do not doubt that if spoiler[Madoka came back,] Homura wouldn't hesitate to go to her.

Mami and Kyouko were devices (not just for plot, but for the message of the series) and they were handled generally well for the time they were given in the series. However, they did not meet within the duration of the anime (aside from a few minor scenes where they barely interacted), so now that spoiler[they're both back,] there is plenty of opportunity to develop them where they weren't developed before through their interactions. The drama CD was a great example of this, but... it wasn't a part of the anime, so it's hard to judge just from that.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Homura is a magical girl whose existence spoiler[rode on Madoka.

Of course.

Quote:
] And she continues to fight spoiler[to keep Madoka's wish alive.] However, I do not doubt that if spoiler[Madoka came back,] Homura wouldn't hesitate to go to her.

Yes, and she could do that platonically. Not all love is eros.

Quote:
Mami and Kyouko were devices (not just for plot, but for the message of the series) and they were handled generally well for the time they were given in the series. However, they did not meet within the duration of the anime (aside from a few minor scenes where they barely interacted),

Of course they didn't meet...spoiler[one of them was dead when the other was introduced].

Quote:
so now that spoiler[they're both back,] there is plenty of opportunity to develop them where they weren't developed before through their interactions. The drama CD was a great example of this, but... it wasn't a part of the anime, so it's hard to judge just from that.

I would like to see some Mami/Kyouko interaction, but I feel that any story taking place after the end of the series would focus mainly on Homura.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I would like to see some Mami/Kyouko interaction, but I feel that any story taking place after the end of the series would focus mainly on Homura.

Having seen the preview for myself, I think they plan on developing the relationship between Kyouko and Mami a bit more. They're going to have to be more involved in the story because, assuming something else isn't amiss, spoiler[they are the only two other Mahou Shoujo characters, aside from Homura, who are left.] Though I agree that Homura will likely be a focus. I just don't think they'll leave Mami and Kyouko undeveloped in this regard, so I'm interested in seeing what they do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4