• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Kobato, Darker than Black, Romeo x Juliet Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Great, yet another Yen Press license that I'm not going to be able to find anywhere. >.< They're getting all the great stuff that I want to buy (Kobato.), and yet none of the bookstores stock any of it.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, double post, my bad.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Awesome on Romeo x Juliet. ^^ I admit to reading this in scanlations and was hoping for it to be eventually picked up, and I'm so glad it was now. And with it being two volumes in length, it won't take up a big spot on my shelf, so yay! <3
rinjichan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Yay Kobato! Just in time for the anime adaptation!
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Great, yet another Yen Press license that I'm not going to be able to find anywhere. >.< They're getting all the great stuff that I want to buy (Kobato.), and yet none of the bookstores stock any of it.

I suggest using an online retailer, such as Amazon or rightstuf.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:43 am Reply with quote
Yay for Kobato. I've wanted to read it in book form for ages Very Happy
mogiks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:12 am Reply with quote
Tbh I thought the Romeo x Juliet manga was pretty mangled compared to the anime.

Nobody's said anything about Dragon Girl. Somebody was scanlating it and I thought it was pretty good shoujo stuff. I'm glad Yen Press are picking these all up cos they normally do a pretty good job. Having said that, I'm liking Viz's shojo line up too.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
RabbitRevolution wrote:
I'm glad someone in America is gonna publish Kobato as a graphic novel now. After Newtype USA (which was serializing Kobato in English) folded, I thought it had become lost in license limbo.
I'll second this and hope the motion is carried by a majority vote. I actually subscribed to Newtype USA around the time Kobato started serialization, it was even something of a deciding factor. I'm so happy someone got it and for it to be Yen Press, which is #1 in my book for manga right now? Double Awesome.

I'm also considering the Bunny Drop series. The news of it's pickup is actually a bit old (or at least heavy rumors for a while) but I guess they hadn't firmly announced it before now. It sounds pretty interesting from what I've read about it.

@ Julia-the-Great: What stores do you have in your area? Personally I've been seeing a lot of Yen Press product on shelves in the stores I've been to.
Calli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Sa...sa...Sasameke?! I never thought this would get licensed. Ever. Holy crap. I'm definitely interested in seeing how it turns out in English.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

@ Julia-the-Great: What stores do you have in your area? Personally I've been seeing a lot of Yen Press product on shelves in the stores I've been to.

Middle of Nowhere, Michigan? A couple B. Dalton's and a handful of Book Worlds. Every bookstore within a two-hour radius seems to only carry manga from Tokyopop, Viz, and Del Ray, and very few others. My hope is that with some bigger-name titles, the bookstores around might start carrying Yen Press as well, but it's doubtful.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that Yen Plus is picking up a lot of interesting titles. I'm most looking forward to Kobato and Fujoshi Kanojo,since I've been waiting for the English translation of both for a while.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
RabbitRevolution wrote:
I'm glad someone in America is gonna publish Kobato as a graphic novel now. After Newtype USA (which was serializing Kobato in English) folded, I thought it had become lost in license limbo.

I wasn't aware of that. But that makes Yen's announcement all the more stellar!

Bunny Drop, Sasameke, and Romeo x Juliet are all series I think I'll be very interested in reading (thanks to summaries/cover art previews online), but what I could find out about the others makes me think they could be good reads, too! Anime catgrin

Yen, you're one of my favorite publishers! Never change how you handle series or approach new titles, because it's absolutely kick-ass as is! Mr. Green
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Middle of Nowhere, Michigan? A couple B. Dalton's and a handful of Book Worlds. Every bookstore within a two-hour radius seems to only carry manga from Tokyopop, Viz, and Del Ray, and very few others. My hope is that with some bigger-name titles, the bookstores around might start carrying Yen Press as well, but it's doubtful.

Have you asked them if they can special order titles in for you? It'll help a bit if you give them details like the ISBNs of the books you're after, too.
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:53 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to Dragon Girl, because I loved Toru Fujieda's other works. And I really liked Kobato; it was adorable. Everything else seems boring to me, though. :/ Oh well. They should be big hits with everyone else, though.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:49 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Okay, well that explains a lot since my frame of reference is more Books-a-Million/Borders-ish. Do those book stores offer to order things for you if they don't have them on the shelves? If online shopping isn't an option for you, getting the stores to order things for you might work for you.

It might also be possible to convince them to carry more Yen Press titles by just informing them of your interest. Rarely, though it does happen, someone will actually act upon customer requests like that.

I highly recommend online shopping though. If you're concerned about damaged books, best group I've dealt with is Robert's Anime Corner Store. I've gotten damaged manga only once and they replaced that volume quickly and at no cost to me. You have a variety of payment options too with credit card, Paypal and even a mailed in money order or check if you want. (Heck, they'll take cash mailed to them.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3