• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most Misleading Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
how did oreimo aka My little sister can't be this cute not make this list it is probably the number 1 example

Huh? OreImo's title is completely accurate. Its even used in the show!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
More Misleading anime titles:

Azumanga Daioh

Lost Universe. Well, it is set in the universe but what isn't? Also, nobody lost it. It's too big.

Galaxy Angel. Like universe but on a smaller scale {At least Bodacious Space Pirates is more locatable}. And there's five, not one so maybe Space Angels?

Angel Links.
smilewolfy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I was really surprised to not see "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute" :O so many people I know have thought I was a sis-con until they watched it themselves >_>
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Lost Universe. Well, it is set in the universe but what isn't? Also, nobody lost it. It's too big.

Did you even watch the series? The series is about the Lost Ships, and is one of the alternate universes from the Slayers universe (Slayers being the Red World, LU being the Black World).
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
More Misleading anime titles:

Azumanga Daioh

Well, it was a manga first, plus wasn't it a reference to the magazine it ran in?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Nichijou (My Ordinary Life) is anything but ordinary. Unless, of course, I'm the odd man out when it comes to having classmates that rode goats to school. Or knew a five year old super genius that not only created a "living" android, but also a scarf that allows animals to speak English.

Dead Leaves was always a weird one, too. It sounds like a melancholic title, like a poem, but boy is it the complete opposite.

I think Denpa teki na Kanojo is something like "Electromagnetic Girlfriend", but that doesn't make much sense. Now, the Electormagnetic (denpa) in Denpa Onna makes sense since it deals with aliens.

Kanokon I don't think fits. The full title is Kanojo wa Kon, to Kawaiku Seki o Shite, which apparently translates to something that deals with cute coughs. No matter the exact translation, cute isn't something I associate with Kanokon. Raunchy, sexual, stupid, those are things I usually think when I hear that show.

I haven't watched it in years, and no one here has probably heard of it, but I don't think Final Approach's title ever made sense. I honestly think they may have meant Reproach instead of Approach since it fits more in line with the MC not liking the idea of forced marriages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
You did not include the Puma Sisters from Dominion: Tank Police. I am disappointed. You may not have had fond dreams of fireside canoodling a la sandwich, but some of us have subsisted on such a rich if vacuous diet for many a bereft and chilly evening.

Last edited by gridsleep on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Denpa is used as a slight on someone you think is crazy "they're receiving electromagnetic brainwaves", so it makes sense to a Japanese audience familiar with that idiomatic language, but the connotation doesn't come through in English.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
how did oreimo aka My little sister can't be this cute not make this list it is probably the number 1 example

Exactly. Kirino is so massively obnoxious she is the antithesis of cute. Anyone who thinks she's cute either hasn't watched the show or is only judging her by her looks.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This should be "anime titles that are misleading" not "anime titles I don't understand but make perfect sense if you actually know the language"
Draneor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Exactly. Kirino is so massively obnoxious she is the antithesis of cute. Anyone who thinks she's cute either hasn't watched the show or is only judging her by her looks.

You know, people often have different opinions of characters and personalities... I happen to think Kirino is very cute, for example.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
....As for misleading titles, how about
Black Magic - it's sci-fi, not fantasy
Appleseed - nothing to do with fruit or agriculture
Candy Boy - none of the main characters are boys
Silent Möbius - what does that even mean?

Black Magic I have not seen.

In Appleseed manga, during the climax when the city's power core is about to detonate due to sabotage, the only way to stop it is to prevent the last power relay from closing. The relays are in a tank chilled to near absolute zero, and neither Deunan nor Breiarios can cross the few meters alive to reach the relay. Deunan can't shoot the relay with a lead bullet because that would only short it out. spoiler[Hitomi takes an apple that Breiarios habitually carries in his pocket and pulls out one of the seeds to give to Deunan. She pries the slug out of a shell, pours out what she hopes is enough powder, and pushes the apple seed into the tip of the reinserted hollow point slug. With seconds to go, she fires the low powered projectile, jamming the apple seed into the relay seating just before the big relay slaps shut. The vegetable material of the seed insulates the two contacts from each other and the core is restrained from going hypercritical, saving the city. The apple seed is both an analogy for the spirit of the novel, and a critical part of the plot.] The first anime of Appleseed was in some ways a travesty of piss poor editing and rewriting (when it wasn't being a travesty of piss poor animation,) resulting in much confusion about the absence of apple seed.

In Candy Boy, perhaps each sister wishes she were the other's toy boy? Sort of reverse trap? Maybe?

Silent Mobius (I don't feel like digging out the character map for that umlaut) refers to the never ending Mobius strip and also as homage to the French sequential artist Mobius (who did not use an umlaut.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
This should be "anime titles that are misleading" not "anime titles I don't understand but make perfect sense if you actually know the language"

The title - well, the translated title, which is what we're referring to - can be read more than one way.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Most misleading thing about Lucky Star was that the Chinese restaurant down my former residence had the same name.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

The title - well, the translated title, which is what we're referring to - can be read more than one way.

I personally don't think translated or changed titles should be considered for things like this, its basically cheating.

If you want to discuss something's title, you should discuss its actual title
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6