• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Acknowledges Missing Oscars Due to Iraq War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
He did not decline so that he could "send a message" as some people assume.

Think about it, how could that have been his intent if he did not say why until now, 6 years later?

He wasn't trying to change the world with his stance. This was his own personal resolve based on differing political and moral values.
giascle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
No, Miyazaki-san declining an invite and avoiding public acknowledgment of his motivation to decline is not childish. It's f*cking smart.

You lost all credibility when you called him "Miyazaki-san."
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
Didn't think ANN would open that can of worms.

Kirk: We still got a year left, and we have yet to get an official confirmation that we're definitely leaving the place. Anyway, Miyazaki probably was smart not to go, considering what they did to Michael Moore just for an Oscar speech.

Keonyn:
Quote:
I think it's a childish stance. It's just another example of the mentality out there that got us in to the war in the first place.

Um, no, it's not the same thing, since Miyazaki did what he thought was moral, while Bush did what he thought would Jesus wanted.
Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Giving a nation of free thinking people the finger because the administration did something beyond their control is just idiotic,

Considering that the countries which didn't support the war are doing better than us economically, I think they got the last laugh.

Quote:
just as assuming that muslims and islamic countries are somehow involved in terrorism because of that.

Some Muslim countries are involved in terrorism. We just look the other way on the ones which sell us oil.

Quote:
Declining to appear before the Academy, who were no part of the war, and many of which were strongly against it, because of that is evidence of latching to a generalization based on nationality

Well, you have to understand that he has a particular grievance against said nationality, because it bombed his home when he was a child. I know that his country started it first, but it's his principle not to support that kind of thing again, since his family business was co-opted into the war machine.

Quote:
If he was that against the war then one person shouldn't have been able to keep him quiet.

Considering the bad rap anime had until that point, and still occasionally gets, he was probably in the right on that decision, especially since they already screwed his work over in the past-which is partly why he didn't want to do business here in the first place. Not attending was the best compromise he could make.

Quote:
By keeping quiet he only eliminated any effect his boycott could have possibly had and made it a useless gesture.

Well, doing the opposite like Michael Moore was no more helpful, either. So, in the end, Miyazaki didn't really lose anything.

penguin: You have a point. But the guy gets labeled "The Walt Disney of Japan". When Americans think that, they associate it with "wholesome and non-threatening" entertainment. And if he starts voicing anti-war views, he might suffer a boycott from the type of idiots who didn't mind burning down a Pikachu doll. Look what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

Xanas: Oh, I'm sorry. When are you going to enlist for service?

Metatron: No, that was just a tribute.

Splitter: Sorry, but Brando and Moore had legitimate grievances.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
Splitter wrote:
No, Miyazaki-san declining an invite and avoiding public acknowledgment of his motivation to decline is not childish. It's f*cking smart.

You lost all credibility when you called him "Miyazaki-san."
Somehow this post made me grin like a fat kid with a slice of cake.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Is it? How so? He accomplished nothing. Heck, at least those other methods would have raised some level of awareness, he failed to do even that. Instead he just snubbed fans, peers and a nation for no apparent reason, which he gives 6 years later in a demonstration of generalization and nationalism.

Paludis wrote:
Who said he did it to be noticed? He just didn't want to go to America at that time, and I can fully understand that feeling

Can you? Please refrain from trolling, as that comment appears to have littler other purpose than to troll.

penguintruth wrote:
Miyazaki is beyond the Oscars anyway. The Oscars mean nothing, considering the crap they give awards to.

Who says it's crap? Who says he's beyond it? You? I know many respectable people who don't believe the films that win the awards are crap and that the award means nothing. Many wouldn't even believe Miyazaki is anywhere near "beyond" the awards. Heck, I'm a fan of his films, but I don't believe that either honestly. So why are they nothing or crap? Because you say so? Honestly, I've noticed most of these respectable film fans are pretty open to anime, and are even familiar with many of the classics and enjoy them. It's a shame so many anime fans have a sense of elitism like this and can't be respectful in turn.

configspace wrote:
He wasn't trying to change the world with his stance. This was his own personal resolve based on differing political and moral values.

We know full well what it was, nor did I assume it was to "send a message". In fact, as I said, it would have at least had something worthwhile if it had been to send a message. Instead he chose to give the nation the finger, a nation that generally did not approve of the war, but was under an administration that didn't much care. He lumped everyone in together despite the fact the Iraq war was not heavily supported by the civilian population. And make no mistake about it, this award and the Academy are all civilian institutions, and many of those at that ceremony and involved in that group were come of the most noticeably outspoken against the war.

It would be like me refusing to go to Japan because of the xenophobic tendencies of certain populations that still exist in parts of the country, or because of the suspect justice system that often seems to prevail there. I would think he would be above such generalizations, but apparently not.

GATSU wrote:
Um, no, it's not the same thing, since Miyazaki did what he thought was moral, while Bush did what he thought would Jesus wanted.

What a remarkably bias and stupid thing to say. Sorry, but just because he thought it was moral doesn't change my opinion that it was childish. He still boycotted 100% of the country for the actions of one part of it, one part that wasn't even remotely involved in the action he was boycotting it for in the first place. That's my opinion, and you're entitled to yours, but I can tell you that if you're just going to go at me with ridiculous comments you're wasting your time and mine.

GATSU wrote:
Considering that the countries which didn't support the war are doing better than us economically, I think they got the last laugh.

Actually they're not, do you open a newspaper or just invent a reality in your head that is as incredibly anti-American as you. Regardless, the recession has nothing do with the Iraq war, nor does it have anything to do with this discussion. Try to turn this in to another one of your anti-American anti-domestic industry soapboxes again and your posts will just go straight to the trash bin.

GATSU wrote:
Some Muslim countries are involved in terrorism. We just look the other way on the ones which sell us oil.

Some Muslim countries governments are, sure, but that doesn't mean all their people are. Contrary to what you, and Miyazaki, and others might think, the individuals of that nation are perfectly capable of making their own decisions and there are those in those nations who are not part of those extremist groups. Regardless, this is again irrelevant to this topic.

GATSU wrote:
Well, you have to understand that he has a particular grievance against said nationality, because it bombed his home when he was a child. I know that his country started it first, but it's his principle not to support that kind of thing again, since his family business was co-opted into the war machine.

Ah, the apologist role now? That's a new one for you. Regardless, he didn't give this for his reasoning, so your invention is irrelevant. He might have such a grievance as you claim, but that doesn't change the fact that such a stance requires him to lump that nationality together as one collective mind all equally responsible for the evil action, which I retain is a childish and flawed stance.

GATSU wrote:
Considering the bad rap anime had until that point, and still occasionally gets, he was probably in the right on that decision, especially since they already screwed his work over in the past-which is partly why he didn't want to do business here in the first place. Not attending was the best compromise he could make.

Why shouldn't anime get a bad rap to some degree? Every other genre and medium out there does, why is anime supposed to be some exception? Not to mention, this is hardly relevant aside for you demonstrating your persecution complex again, which is an ironic thing considering how you go out of your way to persecute the US and domestic industry any chance you get.

His work getting screwed over in the past is again irrelevant, because that is not the reason he gave. Not to mention he openly stated he was happy with Spirited Away, and he had creative control over that script, so this point has no bearing on this situation aside from you trying to point more fingers at domestic industry, as you always do.

Anyways, contrary to what you think GATSU, this is the ANN Forums and not The GATSU Show. I know this is just the kind of thing you love since it mentions the US and anime in the same article, but if you try to turn this in to your personal soapbox for your prejudiced crusade, I assure you there will be a quick end to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobinobita

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
I don't think he's looking for trouble, he's just being straightforward. He's a very straight talking kinda guy, doesn't mince words. I like it. It's refreshing. He's not always thinking about what to say to give off the best image to make his studio the most money, he just is who he is. I think that's refreshing.

They asked him a question, and he simply answered it without any ulterior motive.

When's the last time you heard anyone, much less a famous person, gave an honest, non emotional, non confrontational answer about something as touchy as the Iraq war?
bluegreen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
We'll he's entitled to do what he wants. I think it's stupid myself, I enjoy life in the US. If he doesn't want to enjoy some time in the US then it's his loss
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
Quite honestly, since the war began you saw it and you heard it all the time. Some of it was confrontational or emotional, but not all of it. I saw plenty of famous people make comments about the Iraq war, among other things, quite often since it began. It's never been a popular war, and you've never had to look far for just this kind of thing actually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thrillhouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
I have no problem with a man's opinion on something.

I just prefer to separate something that our American public could not really, truly control from the American people, themselves. I wish he would have attended, because, as people, we are fans of his work and would have liked to honor him.

The sad thing is that our government is going to be run by people that don't always have our interests in mind. You could say that a majority vote elects the leaders, but that doesn't prevent them from doing things that maybe a majority of our population DON'T agree with.

I won't say that I fault Miyazaki for sort of "taking it out on us" (although that's a poor choice of phrase to use, I can't think of a better one this late at night) - but I wish that he wouldn't have.
Paludis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Paludis wrote:
Who said he did it to be noticed? He just didn't want to go to America at that time, and I can fully understand that feeling

Can you? Please refrain from trolling, as that comment appears to have littler other purpose than to troll.

What? How's that trolling? Everyone seems to think he did it to make a statement, why's it so hard to believe he just didn't want to go because of his own feelings about the matter?
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
Assuming what he says is true, I'd like to highfive him for being against the war from the beginning. Of course, he's not American nor is he anyone who is particularly influential in politics, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
Some of you people are SO EXTREMELY STUPID.

Miyazaki made a personal choice not to visit America at the time because he felt annoyed at the country in general (regardless of whose fault it was, regardless of the fact that even some Americans disagreed with the war, etc) because he didn't support the "War on Terrorism", as many of us didn't and still do not. For his own reason, he didn't feel like visiting a country he felt annoyed with. Sure, it might have made some of you feel good if he had come, but if it would make him feel better not to, then why should he sacrifice his own desires? It'd be much better to satisfy his own and stay home. I'd do the same, if I had a choice between going somewhere undesirable (for whatever personal reason of my own) and going somewhere I'd like to be (or in this case, staying put), I'd be stupid not to do what I myself wanted. He did the right thing, because it's what he wanted.

End of story, it's so bleedingly simple, and people are over-analysing it way too much. He didn't feel a need to make a big announcement about it, it wasn't for any political reason, and he wasn't trying to show anyone or anything by it. It happened to come out now. So who cares?

ANN, you disappoint me for even thinking this was newsworthy.

I'm Canadian. Around the same time, I didn't feel like visiting America either. I also didn't feel a need to make a big announcement about it. Had something come up and a friend or family group of mine was considering visiting the States and taking me along, I probably would have said "Well, I don't feel like going there right now. Not really feeling like supporting their tourist industry with my cash right now". Do I need a reason for anything other than the fact that I've simply decided I don't want to go there due to personal reasons? Hell no. And that, people, is what we call free will, and having an opinion. Something a lot of you believe in and recognize, but for some reason are holding against just another human being out there who happens to be kind of popular. Damn hypocrites.

Sorry for sounding brash, but Miyazaki is just a regular guy like you and me. He made a personal decision. Shut up, respect his choice, and don't question why he did it, because he obviously didn't feel the need to shove it in anyone's face.

I don't question anyone else's choice to use the bathroom. Should I be making that into really big news?

Last edited by Brass2TheMax on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Kouga13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
a nation of free thinking people the finger because the administration did something beyond their control

Sounds like a dictatorship. Continue flame war.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Who says it's crap? Who says he's beyond it? You? I know many respectable people who don't believe the films that win the awards are crap and that the award means nothing. Many wouldn't even believe Miyazaki is anywhere near "beyond" the awards. Heck, I'm a fan of his films, but I don't believe that either honestly. So why are they nothing or crap? Because you say so? Honestly, I've noticed most of these respectable film fans are pretty open to anime, and are even familiar with many of the classics and enjoy them. It's a shame so many anime fans have a sense of elitism like this and can't be respectful in turn.

Shakespeare in Love won an Oscar. Over Saving Private Ryan.

'Nuff said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
I find it sadly funny that Miyazaki's refusal to come to the US ended before the War in Iraq. Eh. I have mixed feelings over it, but I can't blame him. Good for him for putting actions behind his beliefs and not just complaining about politics. Too bad he didn't mention it right after winning.

I guess now that we got rid of Bush, or rather his administration, who engineered the war, he might have felt better about showing up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9