• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Acknowledges Missing Oscars Due to Iraq War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
One more reply for clarification:

Quote:
I never really understood this argument. Why would Miyazaki or anyone else would be fearing that Iraq had the potential to bomb the U.S., especially the Oscars, when the trajectory of such weapons would have to cross all the way from one hemisphere to another? Would any missile for that matter had been capable of making that distance? And wouldn't the U.S.A's current missile defense system had been capable of shooting down these kinds of missiles?

Even if they didn't use a missile, who's to say they couldn't get hold of another plane and kamikaze into the awards? Who's to say they couldn't have someone attending the awards (although unlikely but not impossible) walk in and blow themselves up? Or plant a bomb somewhere in the place? There are so many other possibilities, and none of them could be known about for sure... Only until they actually happen.

Uncertainty could have well been his reason for not going coupled with other things. And it's perfectly acceptable to me.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
What a childish thing to do. He didn't want to come to America because it's government, not it's 300 million people, decided to "bomb Iraq?"

If I become a famous cartoon director and am invited for an award in Japan, I'm gonna say, "No, that country bombed Pearl Harbor, sorry."

Miyazaki isn't the first or last respected director to boycott American events with the same reasons.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
JairStout wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
JairStout wrote:
What a childish thing to do. He didn't want to come to America because it's government, not it's 300 million people, decided to "bomb Iraq?"

If I become a famous cartoon director and am invited for an award in Japan, I'm gonna say, "No, that country bombed Pearl Harbor, sorry."

Yeah, becuase no one in America voted for Bush after he bombed Iraq so the American public had no part in supporting his war. Oh wait...

By all accounts he lost both the first and the second election, but was elected anyway due to the courts. Where have you been?

Are you kidding me? Laughing There was only a recount in the first election. He won the second one after the Iraq war with a clean majority. Most voting Americans supported this war up untill 2006. I really hope you're not American, because your lack of basic knowledge of this country is extremely embarrassing.

[sigh] I don't feel like debating this dude. Take your polemicism somewhere else.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but disapproving of a country's political actions is a stupid reason to not go to a bloody awards ceremony. And considering that virtually every person at the Oscars is among the most left-wing of liberals, it's pretty much preaching to the choir.

It's pretty much equivalent to some award-winning author or filmmaker refusing to go to Japan because of the Rapelay scandal, or something. It's not making a statement, especially if it's directed at people who agree with your position to begin with; it's actually just being an asshat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
B2TM wrote:
Even if they didn't use a missile, who's to say they couldn't get hold of another plane and kamikaze into the awards? Who's to say they couldn't have someone attending the awards (although unlikely but not impossible) walk in and blow themselves up? Or plant a bomb somewhere in the place? There are so many other possibilities, and none of them could be known about for sure... Only until they actually happen.

Not possible considering that after 9/11, every airport and public facility had their security increased dramatically. The Oscars were no exception.

Uncertainty would be the only valid reason in this case although I severely doubt that such an event would've happened.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
JairStout wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
JairStout wrote:

Yeah, because no one in America voted for Bush after he bombed Iraq so the American public had no part in supporting his war. Oh wait...

By all accounts he lost both the first and the second election, but was elected anyway due to the courts. Where have you been?

Are you kidding me? Laughing There was only a recount in the first election. He won the second one after the Iraq war with a clean majority. Most voting Americans supported this war up untill 2006. I really hope you're not American, because your lack of basic knowledge of this country is extremely embarrassing.

[sigh] I don't feel like debating this dude. Take your polemicism somewhere else.

Oh yes, pointing out you being ignorant of cold hard facts is polemicising. How about not entering a debate unless you know what you're talking about? You may as well been debating the civil war and had said George Washington won the Battle of Gettysburg.

Last edited by jsyxx on Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Sorry, but disapproving of a country's political actions is a stupid reason to not go to a bloody awards ceremony. And considering that virtually every person at the Oscars is among the most left-wing of liberals, it's pretty much preaching to the choir.

It's pretty much equivalent to some award-winning author or filmmaker refusing to go to Japan because of the Rapelay scandal, or something. It's not making a statement, especially if it's directed at people who agree with your position to begin with; it's actually just being an asshat.

Doesn't make you an asshat if the majority of Japanese supported Rapelay.

And I like how all of you are suddenly acting like the Oscars aren't a popularity contest sham anyways. But that's what happens when shallow-minded people are faced with something that conflicts with their nationalistic tendencies.

Also a war that happened 60 years ago under a completely different governmental system isn't as relevant as one that happened 6 weeks ago. I'm sorry, folks.

Last edited by jsyxx on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
For chrissakes, it's not like Miyazaki is the first person, not even the first director, to boycott an American awards ceremony because he doesn't agree with American policies on some issue. Or is it okay when Americans do it but when foreigners decide to make a statement this way they're childish asshats? Rolling Eyes It's sort of baffling to see so many people getting offended by this. Christ.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Except that the LA Times has the direct quote.
Yeah, but that's not what he said back in 2003, is it? Wink

In retrospect, he tried to sound like a matyr in 2003 when no one knew the reason. It's now 2009 and people aren't so naive.

If you accept our money and award, then don't make it sound like you're being forced even now to come to our country. It was his decision to come here in 2009 and his decision to accept the award in 2003.

The con could have existed without him and will exist next year without him. The PONYO panel could have existed without him with modifications. He is not an essential entity for fandom imo. If his attitude doesn't change, he needs to stay home imo. Con goers shouldn't have to pay for someone like this imo.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I think it's a childish stance. It's just another example of the mentality out there that got us in to the war in the first place. The administration and certain groups were bombing Iraq, I wasn't and neither were most of the people at the award show, nor did many of them even believe it was the right thing to do.

Giving a nation of free thinking people the finger because the administration did something beyond their control is just idiotic, just as assuming that muslims and islamic countries are somehow involved in terrorism because of that. It's crappy generalizing, and acting in that manner doesn't do anyone any favors.
I, certainly, understand your sentiments towards Miyazaki's decision.....

However, going so far as to equate the Bush administration's relationship with Americans/United States to the same level as Al Qaeda's relationship with Muslims/Islamic Nations can also be considered a very childish stance to take. One might even say that acting in that manner isn't doing anyone any favors, and is just idiotic.

I, also, feel that Miyazaki acted in poor form, but he's entitled to his own beliefs. He's, certainly, not in any way obligated to compromise his integrity or dignity simply because we've supported his creations.

Not that it matters, but, even upon dissecting the specifics of the 2003 America issue, all credible polling data still suggests that the majority of American citizens wholeheartedly supported Bush's campaign in Iraq "at that time".
-Whether we did it blindly, mistakenly, or simply because we were still bloodthirsty for Muslim blood is of little relevance.
-We (the majority), always had the right to choose to support or not, and all of the info about the decisions to invade Iraq, that sickens many of us today, was reported on (however quietly) back then and available to any American that wanted to make an "informed" decision (which, apparently, only included a small minority of americans, at that time).
-This being said, any foreigner would be well within their moral rights to make such a decision as Miyazaki, in my opinion. However, I still do think he acted in poor form.....

Sorry, if my post comes of a bit harsh. It's not my intention.

*By the way, just to be clear, I was against the Iraq War, even before it started. I have always felt that the sad events of 9/11 were, shamelessly, used to wage a war in Iraq that Bush had always planned on, even before his administration began.

Last edited by The_X_box_360 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:48 pm; edited 5 times in total
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
For chrissakes, it's not like Miyazaki is the first person, not even the first director, to boycott an American awards ceremony because he doesn't agree with American policies on some issue. Or is it okay when Americans do it but when foreigners decide to make a statement this way they're childish asshats? Rolling Eyes It's sort of baffling to see so many people getting offended by this. Christ.

I was trying to think of a good way to say this, but you did a good job of it.

More importantly, who cares what he has to say? So he's worked on award winning films... doesn't make him like some god that needs to be respected for everything he says.

I mean when you put all that movie making stuff aside, granted very few animated films compare to his studio's works, he's just a human being like the rest of us.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Reinhard Von Lohengram wrote:
Man, imagine if everybody boycotted anime, and Miyazaki, for the Japanese atrocities committed in China, Manchuria, Hong Kong, Singapore, Burma, the Philippines and Indonesia in WW2, to name a few.

Oh, wait. Most Japanophiles, and Japanese, don't acknowledge them. Nevermind.

Wow. Congratulations, you've just managed to post the stupidest thing I've ever read in my fifteen years on the internet. And I frequent 4chan.

The Iraq War was going on right then. Imagine how utterly imbecilic it would be to protest something that happened more than forty years ago.

And while a fraction of Japanese deny war crimes, it's no more than the horrible atrocities denied by governments and people all over the world, including the Chinese. Unless you have proof that anybody here is denying those things, you're just trying to pick a fight.

And what the hell are we doing continuing to argue about this? Where is this "Duhr, Miyazaki says stupid things all the time, I'm constantly at odds with his views" crap coming from? Does nobody know how to debate? None of you have even brought up any actual statements of his from the past, you're just parroting other people.

ANN should be above the level of slackwit image boards. To make this big a deal out of, frankly, sort of a side note, is f'ing ponderous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I got to say is I respect his work as one of the finest. Most of his films has been in my top list for many years and probably more to come with how the anime market has really down graded.

It's his right to refuse or accept any award based on whatever decision. He's not the first director/actor/artist/etc... that has made political statements in such matters. However, his statement more or less is too generalized. It's basically saying the entire country is for the war. I at least respect his decision, he does seem like a man of morals for that statement but in my opinion miss guided. To not accept an award on his work from people who respect him and who have no control on the bombing is ,sorry to say, dumb. It will not solve/help/contribute/etc.. to anything and will only make him look bad in the long run for not being supportive to the academy and what the academy is about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kalili

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh boo hoo. I wonder how he feels about his own countrymen raping and murdering thousands of Chinese villagers in world war II, or how about the death marches and torturing of civilian detainees by Japanese troops. Him making a statement like that as if all Americans are for the war would be the same as saying all Japanese supported atrocities in their past wars.

Whatever.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
You guys do know that the US boycotted the Olympics after the Soviets invaded Afghanistan, right?

Furthermore, the idea that there was nothing we could do about our invasion of Iraq is hogwash. We are the most open democracy in the world. We *could* have forced our legislature to impeach Bush or to refuse to provide funding or many other things. We didn't. Instead, we re-elected him. There IS NO DIFFERENCE between us and the government: of the people, by the people, for the people. And if that's not true, then WE are to blame. Quit trying to pass the buck.

As far as Miyazaki's decision not to attend the 2003 Oscars. I thought that we were Americans. I thought that we respected people's right to make their own decisions, particularly their own political decisions. Heck, that's what the 1st Amendment is all about. Instead we call it childish, because it flew in the face of our own political leanings? Pathetic. Even if I disagreed with his stance on our invasion (which I do not), as an American I am HAPPY that he took a stance on his own. Furthermore, he was discreet about it: he wasn't giving speeches or forming marches or engaging in civil disobedience; he simply chose not to come. A personal decision and a personal solution. I approve.

Ultimately, this whole thing is a tempest in a teacup. Miyazaki barely shows up on the radar in mainstream American thought. He doesn't seem to have acted as a means of changing us, but rather of remaining true to his own beliefs, which again, as an American, I fully endorse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9