• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Acknowledges Missing Oscars Due to Iraq War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Cosplaybunny wrote:
It would have been nice if he had spoken out against the war at the time, but I can understand why he didn't.

Agreed. You took the words right outta my mouth.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm in shock with the giant can of stupidity this topic has brought about. So Miyazaki was against the Iraq war. Anyone who saw how he changed up Howl's Moving Castle could have told you that, especially if you've ever read any of his interviews concerning that film.

I'm amazed that an artist expressing himself and stating a political opinion, one most of the whole world has similar sentiments about at the time, is cause for such an uproar. Really... sometimes the examples of would-be intelligence we have on this forum amaze me.

I really don't understand what the problem is. All I see is a large number of people who really should quit acting like kids trying out for a spot on Fox News.
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm in shock with the giant can of stupidity this topic has brought about. So Miyazaki was against the Iraq war. Anyone who saw how he changed up Howl's Moving Castle could have told you that, especially if you've ever read any of his interviews concerning that film.

I'm amazed that an artist expressing himself and stating a political opinion, one most of the whole world has similar sentiments about at the time, is cause for such an uproar. Really... sometimes the examples of would-be intelligence we have on this forum amaze me.

I really don't understand what the problem is. All I see is a large number of people who really should quit acting like kids trying out for a spot on Fox News.
Of coarse because god forbid we (Americans) wish the rest of the world realized that America is split down the middle on most political issues. I know I'm a moron, and everyone other than you on this forum is to, but he could have came and spoke out against the action we took. And no this isn't a resume piece for Fox, I'm trying to take Chris Hansen's place on NBC's To Catch a Predator.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I bet some of the people on this thread pull up to McDonald's and get enraged when the voice on the other side of the box doesn't know what Freedom Fries are. Laughing
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Of coarse because god forbid we (Americans) wish the rest of the world realized that America is split down the middle on most political issues. I know I'm a moron, and everyone other than you on this forum is to, but he could have came and spoke out against the action we took. And no this isn't a resume piece for Fox, I'm trying to take Chris Hansen's place on NBC's To Catch a Predator.

Angry American? -check
Appears to be a moron? -check
No idea exactly what he's so pissed off about? -check

Are you SURE you don't want to try for that Fox position? It seems you'd fit right in. All you need is to bleach your hair blond and you'd have all the requirements needed for the job!

Just because most of the staff are away at Comic-con doesn't mean people should forget how to behave. This thread is just simply pathetic with only a handful of people actually contributing to a discussion and the rest just spewing page after page of senseless political jabs, W.T.F. WW2 history references, attacks on other members, and just plain disrespect for the opinions of others in general.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
This thread is starting to stray off into political sniping, guys 'n gals. If it doesn't stay on subject then it will get locked.

Consider this a first - and only - warning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
The Count wrote:

Angry American? -check
Appears to be a moron? -check
No idea exactly what he's so pissed off about? -check

Are you SURE you don't want to try for that Fox position? It seems you'd fit right in. All you need is to bleach your hair blond and you'd have all the requirements needed for the job!

Just because most of the staff are away at Comic-con doesn't mean people should forget how to behave. This thread is just simply pathetic with only a handful of people actually contributing to a discussion and the rest just spewing page after page of senseless political jabs, W.T.F. WW2 history references, attacks on other members, and just plain disrespect for the opinions of others in general.
After your first post I thought you were serious but now I can tell your a joke. First in no way am I angry if that's how it came across I should have worded it better. Two what kind of post did you think you would get when you combined a famed director and one of the biggest political issues to America in recent times? Then you talk about the rest of us not contributing to the original topic, but every one of your post has just been about bashing other while not mentioning a thing about about Miyazaki or his decision. And last how you came to the idea that I'm a hardliner republic (which is what I assume is what's meant by the FOX comment) I'll never know or care. My first post was based on the belief that our country allows for disagreement and debate even with other countries and there are many people here who agree with Miyazaki's anti-war stance. So if he did come here and said how he felt I don't think it would have been a big deal.

Also look at the first part of your post which include "appears to be a moron" and "angry American", then look at the last part of your post, "This thread is just simply pathetic with only a handful of people actually contributing to a discussion and the rest just spewing page after page of senseless political jabs, W.T.F. WW2 history references, attacks on other members, and just plain disrespect for the opinions of others in general". Isn't that hypocrisy?

Sorry Key if this went over the line. I can modify or delete in if necessary, but I think littlegreenwolf is way off base with his/her comment.
terrorista_31

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
"The reason I wasn't here for the Academy Award was because Exclamation I didn't want to visit a country that was bombing Iraq Exclamation . At the time, my producer shut me up and did not allow me to say that, but I don't see him around today. By the way, my producer also shared in that feeling."

wow Miyazaki is amazing
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
After your first post I thought you were serious but now I can tell your a joke. First in no way am I angry if that's how it came across I should have worded it better. Two what kind of post did you think you would get when you combined a famed director and one of the biggest political issues to America in recent times? Then you talk about the rest of us not contributing to the original topic, but every one of your post has just been about bashing other while not mentioning a thing about about Miyazaki or his decision. And last how you came to the idea that I'm a hardliner republic (which is what I assume is what's meant by the FOX comment) I'll never know or care. My first post was based on the belief that our country allows for disagreement and debate even with other countries and there are many people here who agree with Miyazaki's anti-war stance. So if he did come here and said how he felt I don't think it would have been a big deal.

Sorry Key if this went over the line. I can modify or delete in if necessary, but I think littlegreenwolf is way of base with his/her comment.

You really didn't get the point of the first post I made in this thread, something that was meant to be the only post I made in this thread. I pointed out how idiotic some people were acting, and that the behavior was immature and akin to what you see any time you change your channel to Fox news: straight out arguing over pointless things, usually over political BS with no obvious wrong or right side. Now THAT a joke, and a rather sad one.

And you're right; you really should have worded it better. Your reply to my original post didn't express ANY of the ideas you just responded with. What you said was made in a sarcastic manner bringing up more of the political BS I mentioned, called yourself a moron, and everyone else on the forum a moron (done a manner in which you were trying to put words into my mouth I never said, I don't appreciate that), and then it seemed you tried to defend your behavior by saying Miyazaki could have come and spoke out against America? But... what? I still don't know what you were trying to say there, but it came out rather angry, so I replied in a manner I felt appropriate. Maybe if you stated your reasons in a calm and collected way the first time around it'd be easier to understand where you're coming from.

Nowhere in my posts did I try to END discussion, only suggest the pointless political jabs end. I did not create this thread, but if you read the rules for the forum you'll see that a lot of the behavior going on in here was bordering, if not over the line, of what is usually allowed. Nor did I state any names as to who I thought was partaking in the behavior. YOU were the one to assume you were part of that group. As far as I know until you replied to my post you had not even made a post in this thread.

Finally I never claimed you were a Republican. You came up with that all on your own.

Is that all clear for you now? I don't know why you decided to take my post from the beginning as an insult to you, but it was never meant to be.
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
@littlegreenwolf

Okay this is my last post on the topic. The Fox-Republican thing came out when you referenced Fox the only Republican dominated "news" network, when you could have used any of the networks if it was for the reasons you listed (misunderstanding). Two, no I didn't mean he should have spoken out against America, just the actions we took that he disagreed with. Like others said he wouldn't have been the first (THOM YORKE, Bono, Susumu Hirasawa) if he was more vocal about his opinions on our war he may have found many Americans agree with him, and he may have came here before now not as a favor to a friend but because many people love the work he does. And yes your right the one sentence I wrote in my first post wasn't enough to get my point across. And yes I took your first post too personal as it seemed to me your were disregarding some of the legit post on the topic(misunderstanding). I guess I'll have to admit most of this little spat was do to misunderstanding mainly on my part. Embarassed

Anyways not that I would tell Miyazaki what to do, it's just that I would have respected him more if he came here and tried to show others his view on our war, and why he thinks we were doing the wrong thing. Or at the very least be open with his opinions in his own country.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
I wish he went anyway. The first Oscar for an anime was a big deal!
He might have connected with a lot of American people and made some new fans who had a low opinion of anime before.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Two, no I didn't mean he should have spoken out against America, just the actions we took that he disagreed with. Like others said he wouldn't have been the first (THOM YORKE, Bono, Susumu Hirasawa) if he was more vocal about his opinions on our war he may have found many Americans agree with him, and he may have came here before now not as a favor to a friend but because many people love the work he does.

...what? So he wasn't vocal enough in his movies and interviews? He should've went and said "I thought I'd boycott the ceremony because I don't agree with what America is doing in Iraq, but I thought, well, surely a lot of Americans agree with me, and many of them love my works! So I decided to come anyway to make them feel better, my personal feelings and beliefs be damned"?

This entire thread is full of fail. We have people bashing Miyazaki (and Japan) because a) he dared to disagree with American policies about Iraq (and HOW DARE HE after all that Japan did sixty years ago!) and b) he dared not to care that some Americans also oppose the war, which is OMG UNFAIR!! The hell? The latter is the most baffling. Everyone knows, especially people as politically aware as Miyazaki, that many Americans oppose the war. But from an international, political standpoint that doesn't matter, believe it or not, as long as America is still there, bombing Iraq which it had been doing at the time. Miyazaki wasn't trying to insult Americans who oppose the war, he simply would've felt uncomfortable with visiting the country. This should be obvious to any sane person. Christ.

Basically, what Tuor_of_Gondolin said above. You're Americans, aren't you? You live in a country that prides itself on respecting people's right to different opinions and their right to express them. How about you try to act in that spirit instead of being defensive and passive-aggressive?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

Basically, what Tuor_of_Gondolin said above. You're Americans, aren't you? You live in a country that prides itself on respecting people's right to different opinions and their right to express them. How about you try to act in that spirit instead of being defensive and passive-aggressive?

Well, if he was that "principled" about the situation, then why did he accept the award and US dollars for licensing of PONYO? (As a reference, Marlon Brando refused his award.) Why does he continue to accept US dollars? It's not like he didn't make any money off the US visit last week.

To me politics have nothing to do with this. We have a guy here who was so "disturbed" about another country's political stance that he "boycotted" a ceremony. Yet not disturbed enough (prob due to the cash and fame associated with the award) that he accepted our prestigious award and honor. Now, he again accepts our cash (they're paid for appearances) and honors, comes over here and explains the boycott. And we're supposed to smile, pat him on the back and say, "That's okay. We respect your beliefs. Our country was founded on independent thought. We're not going to question your motives for being here that appear to be motivated by money one bit. Ideology has nothing to do with this. We're going to turn a blind eye to this because you're Miyazaki."

Yeah, right.

You can't have it both ways imo.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
Frankly, it sounds like you're going out of your way to be offended on behalf of the American nation. Yes, he accepted those honors. Yes, he let them license 'Ponyo.' What do you want him to have done? Do you honestly think that his protest would've been authentic only if he boycotted the entire country - not just awards ceremonies but the entire film industry, the people, the honors, everything? Wouldn't that be a thousand times more rude and disrespectful than simply not visiting the country? People protest in many different ways. Miyazaki protested by not visiting the US. That doesn't mean he hates America and Americans and wants to have nothing to do with them.

(Btw, the part about the cash and fame is just plain malicious. At that point Miyazaki didn't need either the money or the fame because he's already had both.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9