Forum - View topic
Can I somehow increase my PS3 Internet Upload Speed?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I have a Netgear wireless Internet, and right now my PS3's upload speed is about 1.7 Mbps.

But in order to watch Neon Alley in HD, I need to have at least a 3Mbps upload speed. Are there any methods to increasing that speed with my current internet setup, or do I just need a better internet?

And to clear any confusion, according to my PS3, Download Speed and Upload Speed are two different speeds. I think it's my Upload Speed that needs to be 3Mbps, because my Download Speed is over 10 Mbps.

PS: On regular computers, my speed is 54Mbps. Why isn't it that fast on my PS3?
MadarakiFran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Is your wireless internet 802.11 b or g? How far away is your PS3 from your wireless router? If 802.11g is available, make sure you have that setting turned on in your router.

I have never been satisfied with the wifi on the PS3 slim model that I own. It's always seemed far slower than I feel it should be. Consequently, I use a wired connection. Is that a possibility? If so, that would yield the fastest connection

We have a Sony bd player in another room that doesn't have a wireless connection, and use a Powerline adapter, which works fine for Netflix, Hulu, etc. on that, so it may be an option for you if the PS3 is too far away from the router for a wired connection. Basically, it uses the wires for your existing power lines to carry the signal across the house. It's not as fast as a direct wire, but it runs Netflix in HD fine on our bd player.

If you want to continue using wireless, you might try forwarding the ports for your PS3. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make speed wise, but it might yield some performance benefits. Here is an eHow article about PS3 port forwarding.

As far as your regular computer goes: Do you have wireless N on those computers? Are they usually closer to the router? Are they wired? These could all make differences as far as your performance.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
MadarakiFran wrote:
Is your wireless internet 802.11 b or g? How far away is your PS3 from your wireless router? If 802.11g is available, make sure you have that setting turned on in your router.

I have never been satisfied with the wifi on the PS3 slim model that I own. It's always seemed far slower than I feel it should be. Consequently, I use a wired connection. Is that a possibility? If so, that would yield the fastest connection

We have a Sony bd player in another room that doesn't have a wireless connection, and use a Powerline adapter, which works fine for Netflix, Hulu, etc. on that, so it may be an option for you if the PS3 is too far away from the router for a wired connection. Basically, it uses the wires for your existing power lines to carry the signal across the house. It's not as fast as a direct wire, but it runs Netflix in HD fine on our bd player.

If you want to continue using wireless, you might try forwarding the ports for your PS3. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make speed wise, but it might yield some performance benefits. Here is an eHow article about PS3 port forwarding.

As far as your regular computer goes: Do you have wireless N on those computers? Are they usually closer to the router? Are they wired? These could all make differences as far as your performance.

How do I know if my internet is 802.11 b or g?

I'm also starting to think that my upload speed isn't the problem. Wouldn't my download speed be the factor that determines streaming quality on my PS3? My DL speed is 13 Mbps, greater than the 3.0 Mbps connection Neon Alley requires for HD streaming. The website is kind of vague; I don't know if they're talking about Upload or Download speed.

Maybe my internet isn't the issue, because I have a fairly fast internet. Maybe it's the display settings on my PS3.

Does Neon Alley stream in 1080p or 1080i? Maybe if I disable those and just keep 720p, the shows will look better. But that wouldn't fix the sound though.

Or maybe what they're showing wasn't made for HD or aren't HD compatible, like Inuyasha (the first series).
MadarakiFran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
It should say in the router settings whether it's b or g.

Anyways, yeah, the download should be the most important thing. The video quality varies for each show. Some shows, like Naruto, will probably not look HD quality because the source is not HD. Tiger & Bunny, Inuyasha: The Final Act, Blue Exorcist, and Nura: Rise of the Yokai clan are all presented in HD.

I imagine the HD on Neon Alley is probably only 720p. I'll ask on Twitter and see if I can get a definitive answer. It imagine it uses less bandwidth, keeps the channel affordable, and I think that 720p is more than adequate for animation in this case.

As far as the sound goes, I have noticed problems and I think it may have to do with some of the encoding on the videos. There are spots where audio is muffled on Kekkaishi, and during replays, those happen to be in the same spots every time I've seen it.

It'd be nice to know on the schedule what shows are presented in HD and which ones are only available in SD.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I think I've realized that I'm not the only person with good internet who is experiencing quality issues. Others are too. So the problem has to be on Viz's end.

Here's what I think now: either NA is experiencing quality issues that need to be fixed, or I've only been seeing shows on there that aren't in HD. I've only seen Inuyasha 1, Naruto and Shippuden, and Death Note. I don't think any of those shows have been remastered into HD yet, so maybe if I watched some of the newer shows, it'd be in HD.

But I STILL think the problem lies mostly with Viz. Even if those shows weren't in made HD, they still shouldn't look worse on my HDTV than on my comp or SDTV.
MadarakiFran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Blue Exorcist is on right now, which is in HD for sure if you wanted to check.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I just watched a little bit of Nura, and the video quality is vastly improved over the other shows. It actually looked pretty great, and in HD. There were some hiccups at first, but over time it gradually got better.

I can't say the same about the audio though. I'm not sure I can describe it, and it could just be my TV, but the audio sounds pretty quiet. A little muffled or garbled, and maybe static-y too. I don't have a speaker system or surround sound btw. Just regular audio from the TV.
MadarakiFran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I think there are definite problems with the audio encoding. Someone's brought it up on the Facebook page and they said they were looking into it. There have been really muffled parts on Kekkaishi.
TigerC10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
MadarakiFran wrote:
Is your wireless internet 802.11 b or g?

Doesn't matter if it's B or G, at their peak ranges and including any interference - the speed would be faster than that.

ZeArNkN, get on a computer and visit http://www.speedtest.net to test the speed your service provider is giving you. Chances are, that's your problem. Internal networks are almost never the culprit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Is this a typo or do you really need fast upload speeds (as opposed to download speed) to smoothly watch these videos?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
As long as your upload isn't saturated (so ACKs can get through), I shouldn't think it matters that much, provided there's no form of P2P involved.

Viz has decided that, not being in the US I'm not allowed to access ANY of the site, but via Google's Cache:

Quote:
What minimum system requirements are needed?
To become a member of Neon Alley you must have a PlayStation® 3 entertainment system (PlayStation® Plus is NOT required) with broadband access (minimum of 1Mbps, 3+ Mbps recommended) and an active PlayStation® Network account. If you’re not sure what your broadband speed is, we recommend you go to speedtest.net and check your speed.

This is referring to download speed. They give no minimum requirement for upload.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
underlock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Can you play online games like Battlefield in your PS3? If so, your upload speed should be more than enough for internet broadcast, considering that shouldn't drain more uploading power than a normal webpage.

Unless they're using P2P like Shiroi Hane mentioned. Which wouldn't make much commercial sense, considering it's a paid service.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Given the service is "live" it wouldn't make any sense anyway - no-one in the cloud would have any more than anyone else in order to share it. Does anyone even still use Kontiki these days?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1