• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your opinion on Aniplex of America?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your opinion on Aniplex of America?
I love them and wish they'd license and release more shows!
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
They're good but I wish the releases weren't so expensive.
40%
 40%  [ 52 ]
They're okay, don't really dislike them at this point.
16%
 16%  [ 21 ]
I dislike most of their shows but some are good.
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Hate them because of their prices.
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
I hate them so much I wish they'd go bankrupt and leave the North American market so other companies handle the licenses.
14%
 14%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 127

ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Requested by manicli.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I find it tough to boil my opinion of them down to one single response. They've been all over the map with their releases and I feel like I need to address them individually.

From best to worst:

Baccano! (TV) - Fine. I mean, they probably could have gone a little cheaper seeing as this show is a half decade old but all in all we're taking about a price range that's pretty affordable so it's no big deal either way.

Oreimo (TV) - Again, fine. The collector's set was decently priced and we got an affordable re-release in the end. Besides, would this have ever gotten a dub or a BD if, lets say, sentai released it instead? I doubt it.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (TV) - Not bad but when you actually do the math...eh. We're talking about $225 for all the collectors editions. That's not completely unreasonable but it is awfully pricey. We did still get a cheaper regular editions but we're talking $90 for the DVDs, $120 for the BDs. Kinda misses the point of cheaper regular editions. I'll cut it some slack for being an original release though, not a re-release of a show long since out on DVD.

Read or Die (OAV) - See, I don't actually object to this either. $160 is a lot of money but it is at least in the ballpark of reasonable. Especially for a very nice collector's edition set. The problem is no eventual cheap regular edition. If they'd just put out a nice $40-$50 re-release at some point down the road then I'd be totally happy.

Durarara!! (TV) - The original DVD release was passable. A little pricey but at least they dubbed it. The BD is same as above. Fine but give us a cheap re-release eventually.

Trust & Betrayal (OVA) - This one is a bit pricey even for a nice collector's set. It's only a 4 ep OVA after all. At least in the ballpark still though. But again, we need a re-release.

Bakemonogatari (TV) - This isn't the worst release. It's still at least vaguely affordable. We're not into Fate/Zero territory yet. Still, much worse than the previous cases because there is no dub, you're only getting half the content as compared to Durarara and most importantly, there's not even a cheaper DVD release. So it's not even "settle for the inferior DVD if you can't afford the collector's BD" It's "pay for the collector's BD or get nothing at all".

Blue Exorcist (TV) - This one is really pretty shit. You're paying a good $120 which is almost as much as the Durarara BD but you're not even getting a dub or a BD. It is such a kick in the ass too because there's no way this needs to be released across four separate releases or for that matter, couldn't support a traditional, wide scale, dubbed release and a BD.

Garden of Sinners (movie series) - The argument I always seem to hear with this release is that it is an import and not an R1 release. Well fine...but then don't let it interfere with my actual R1 release. Aniplex can charge whatever crazy price they want to importers. I'm happy to live and let live but only so long as I still get an affordable BD at some point. It's nice, I guess, that we're getting a re-release but that is still going to be really expensive and is going to be DVD only. So as it stands I'm SOL if I want an affordable release and SOL if I want a BD. My only option is to spend a whole lot of money on an inferior DVD version.

Fate/Zero (TV) - I actually find this more irritating, and not just because it is even more expensive and not just because there's no DVD re-release yet*. I find it more irritating because at least Garden of Sinners is sort of niche. Hence, I can sort of live with it not getting a dub. This though...come on. As with Blue Exorcist, there's absolutely no reason you couldn't just hand this to Funimation and give it a normal, dubbed, BD release and make a ton of money.

*Note: I'm basing all this on current information. If something changes in the future (like maybe we do get some affordable re-releases) then my opinion will change accordingly.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with them. I only own two of their releases (Madoka and Oreimo), and I'll probably give in and buy Bakemonogatari. Given the choice between paying singles-circa-2002 prices for Madoka and Oreimo and not getting them at all, I'd have to pick the former.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I voted for the hate/go bankrupt option. Simply because I know their titles would be snapped up by other R1 distribs who would put out them out far more cheaply. They don't fulfill that niche role of a NISA where a lot of their titles wouldn't see the light of day if they didn't pick them up. Not to mention NISA's prices are much more reasonable and their Premium Editions generally more enticing.

So yeah, rot in hell Aniplex of America.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Simply because I know their titles would be snapped up by other R1 distribs who would put out them out far more cheaply.

Agreed. The frustrating thing about Aniplex is that I don't really think there's any benefit to consumers from them existing. Unlike NISA, they're not releasing titles that are otherwise too niche for the usual R1 distributors. So it's not even a "better than nothing" kind of situation. It's just them taking titles that could and would just as easily be put out by Funimation or Sentai and instead making them less available or more expensive to fans. So yeah. I really can't say that we'd be anything but better off if they just went under or pulled out of the market.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
My reaction to seeing them get Sword Art Online:
"Well, I guess I won't be checking that out as I'll never be able to afford it. Shame someone else didn't get it" *sad panda*

So far, the only release I have by them are the Gurren Lagann movies. But I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I got them only because the used store had them for $3 each. I mean, I loved the series enough to get each set in LE, yet even I wouldn't pay $30-$40 for each movie that are sub only mostly recaps even for completionists' sake ($6+tax though? Yeah, they kinda got me there, even if they were SE).

Obviously, their business model is working for them, but I feel like it screws most of us with smaller budgets over pretty well. I don't think that a Japanese company just jumping in themselves is a guaranteed bad thing, Kodansha comics is awesome, their stuff is reasonably priced compared to everyone else, they just got Vinland Saga.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
The one redeeming factor for me is that almost everything (KnK being the notable exception) is available streaming, so it's not the end of the world if I can't afford to buy the limited edition BD steel lunchbox set.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Simply because I know their titles would be snapped up by other R1 distribs who would put out them out far more cheaply.

Agreed. The frustrating thing about Aniplex is that I don't really think there's any benefit to consumers from them existing. Unlike NISA, they're not releasing titles that are otherwise too niche for the usual R1 distributors. So it's not even a "better than nothing" kind of situation. It's just them taking titles that could and would just as easily be put out by Funimation or Sentai and instead making them less available or more expensive to fans. So yeah. I really can't say that we'd be anything but better off if they just went under or pulled out of the market.

And as I said in a different thread, it's not even like they are operating on a level playing field with other distribs and are "winning" these titles because they have outbid and out-hustled the competition. Nope, the parent company, Aniplex, lets them cherry pick the best titles - other companies have absolutely no shot of getting a title that Aniplex decides will go to its pricey, wholly-owned subsidiary.

I know a lot of people say, "yeah, but the function of a business is to make money" to which I wholeheartedly agree. However, that doesn't mean I have to like how a business makes its money.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
I love Aniplex of America. I'm friends with all of the folks that work for them in Santa Monica. I own all of their products, and they are the pride and joy of my small collection of R1 discs. Keep up the great work! Smile
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
I agree with most of what ikillchicken said, but I'm probably more ambivalent about it. The frustration of both wanting some of these releases and at the same time really disliking their prices has finally culminated in me not buying any of their stuff this year. Oh well, you can't have everything.

luffypirate85 wrote:
I love Aniplex of America. I'm friends with all of the folks that work for them in Santa Monica. I own all of their products, and they are the pride and joy of my small collection of R1 discs. Keep up the great work! Smile
Yeaa, knew that one was coming. Didn't have to guess what your vote would be. Smile
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
Haha yup. I'm pretty dedicated. Glad it shows!
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
Too goddamned expensive-I know they have to make money but this isn't Japan.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
While it is probable that they are "cherry picking" hot titles, it is also possible that these are titles that even Funimation could not afford.

That said it really doesn't matter. I don't like their prices either, but the situation exists, we each have to deal with it as best we can.

What does bother me is that the complaints about their prices (how ever justified) have in many cases risen to the level of soap boxing. It is almost impossible to have a discussion thread on any of the AoA titles without it being hijacked by price complaints. While understandable, such complaints are rather pointless. I'm sure AoA personel know exactly what fans think of their prices. Nothing said here on the ANN forums is going to have any effect on AoA.

I would like to suggest that having expressed our opinions about their prices that we let the matter drop. That is, unless you really enjoy banging your head aginst a brick wall. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
I don't tend to comment on AoA prices unless someone has raises a point in support of their business model that I don't personally find valid or if someone suggests that those of us who do complain are somehow crybaby tittysuckers without any basis for our gripes. I can understand why some people get tired of an AoA announcement thread getting filled with price complaints, but that is an inevitable result of its business model. I know my complaints won't change a thing, but at least I get a measure of satisfaction in publicly expressing my opinion that their prices blow.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
There is a lot to be said for "venting", just keep in mind that most of the time you are responding to or agreeing with the same people. After awhile it gets a bit stale.

I'm not sure why anyone would defend their business model. It exists and it either works for them or is failing. They aren't going to heed support from here any more than complaints.

When I first got into anime, people complained bitterly about Viz. The biggest complaint was that they didn't respond to other complaints. Fifteen years later I still see the same complaints. I don't see that it has made any difference in the way Viz conducts its business. I stongly feel that AoA will suceed or fail on its own without our input.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5