• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko TV Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Quote:
Currently, Sentai dubs about 80% of their titles, and are even redubbing titles released with another English dub in the past (Appleseed, Grave of the Fireflys)

They redubbed Grave of the Fireflies? Why? Sure the original dub wasn't the best in the world, but it wasn't terrible either (but I normally watch it subbed so my memory of the dub may be off). What the new dub better or worse than the Central Park Media version?

Sorry this is a little off topic.

We'll find out when the Blu-ray hits shelves next month. The DVD that came out earlier this year only had the CPM dub. The Blu-ray will have both (no word on a DVD release of the redub).

It hasn't been confirmed, but it's generally speculated that Sentai wanted a 5.1 English soundtrack on the Blu-ray, and it was impossible to reissue the old dub in anything more than a stereo mix since the original sound elements no longer exist for it. Sentai hasn't even acknowledged the redub's existence yet, other than it being mentioned in the back-scan for the upcoming Blu-ray release. Steven Foster did say this though in a Facebook post (the back cover confirmed him as director):

Quote:
Imagine filming Sophie's Choice's penultimate scene for 8 hours every day for four days in a row. Try. Then add Debra Winger's Terms goodbye scene to her sons. (No. Not exaggerating.) Emily Neves Love and Adam Gibbs and Brent Marshall deserve medals for what they're gone/are going thru. Jesus.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Yep I missed and will be missing Anohana because of that very reason. No dub, no Blu-ray then no buy. That is how it work with me. If it doesn't get dubbed or picked up by FUNimation Viz or Sentai then that means the show is mostly likely terrible if they didn't want anything to do with it. Something NIS get lucky an ruin my day but most of the time FUNi Viz and Sentai get the right stuff and Sentai picks the right show to dub and sub... That is how I look at things these days to save myself disappointment.

You know, your post makes no since. You watches the 1st episodes subbed and loved it...but since it'll be coming to NA as subbed (the same format you watched it in), you refuse to watch it? But now you think the anime you loved is crap just because it is getting a sub-release? Just because an anime ends up just getting a sub-only release doesn't make it a horrible show. In fact, NISA picks up some really artsy and story driven titles.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
While this is a good title, I don't think I really liked it enough to buy it subbed-only at NIS pricing. Now if this was a similar sounding title, Denpa Teki na Kanojo then that would be a different story.
Ohh, yea. I would love to see someone bring Denpa Teki na Kanojo over, I'd buy it sub only in a heart beat!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
You know, even with the english title, it's still hard to pronounce or remember the whole thing.
Nico87

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
Would really prefer it if they kept Denpa Onna and have the Ground Control thing as a subtitle. I don't appreciate complete name changes at all. I think this will be the first time they do so with an anime title.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Asobi Something Or Other became Cat Planet Cuties
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
looks like a show I could enjoy!

would check it out glad nis is picking up said shows!

very cool.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
I think this will be the first time they do so with an anime title.

Uhh...not even remotely.
Nico87

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Nico87 wrote:

Uhh...not even remotely.

Why would you even post that without showing any examples? Feel free to mention an anime they've licensed which they renamed to something not present anywhere in the original title.

Occult Academy = Seikimatsu Okaruto Gakuin
anohana = anohana
Zakuro = Zakuro
Bunny Drop = Usagi Drop
Katanagatari = Katanagatari/Sword Story -> same thing
kimi ni todoke = kimi ni todoke
Pandora Hearts = Pandora Hearts
Persona = Persona
Toradora! = Toradora!
Arakawa Under the Bridge = Arakawa Under the Bridge
Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up = the first parts are basically the same, Burning Up is NIS America's work I think

Ok, you got me with House of Five Leaves!

Last edited by Nico87 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Nico87 wrote:

Uhh...not even remotely.

Why would you even post that without showing any examples? Feel free to mention an anime they've licensed which they renamed to something not present anywhere in the original title.

The aforementioned "Asobi ni Iku yo!" to "Cat Planet Cuties" is actually a better example than this one, since this title actually holds on to the "Denpa" concept. Which is a strange decision, but whatever.

There are plenty more, but I seriously have better things to do with my life than remember shitty localized titles.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Nico87 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Nico87 wrote:

Uhh...not even remotely.

The aforementioned "Asobi ni Iku yo!" to "Cat Planet Cuties" is actually a better example than this one, since this title actually holds on to the "Denpa" concept. Which is a strange decision, but whatever.

There are plenty more, but I seriously have better things to do with my life than remember shitty localized titles.

Umm...you do realize he/she is only talking about NISA licensed titles. .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
050795 wrote:
Quote:
Currently, Sentai dubs about 80% of their titles, and are even redubbing titles released with another English dub in the past (Appleseed, Grave of the Fireflys)

They redubbed Grave of the Fireflies? Why? Sure the original dub wasn't the best in the world, but it wasn't terrible either (but I normally watch it subbed so my memory of the dub may be off). What the new dub better or worse than the Central Park Media version?

Sorry this is a little off topic.

We'll find out when the Blu-ray hits shelves next month. The DVD that came out earlier this year only had the CPM dub. The Blu-ray will have both (no word on a DVD release of the redub).

It hasn't been confirmed, but it's generally speculated that Sentai wanted a 5.1 English soundtrack on the Blu-ray, and it was impossible to reissue the old dub in anything more than a stereo mix since the original sound elements no longer exist for it. Sentai hasn't even acknowledged the redub's existence yet, other than it being mentioned in the back-scan for the upcoming Blu-ray release. Steven Foster did say this though in a Facebook post (the back cover confirmed him as director):

Quote:
Imagine filming Sophie's Choice's penultimate scene for 8 hours every day for four days in a row. Try. Then add Debra Winger's Terms goodbye scene to her sons. (No. Not exaggerating.) Emily Neves Love and Adam Gibbs and Brent Marshall deserve medals for what they're gone/are going thru. Jesus.

I see that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up, I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything about it yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Nico87 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Nico87 wrote:

Uhh...not even remotely.

Gotta love super-pretentious non-Japanese speakers who bitch about localized titles. Again, thank God none of these clueless-about-business people will ever get close enough to a position of power to enact their dumb opinions. Gee, just imagine how many more copies of a fan-servicy comedy like Cat Planet Cuties would have sold if only Funi had listened to these geniuses and went with Asobi ni Iku yo! Rolling Eyes
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuf.com just added this to their site.

Apparently it will be a DVD/BR combo. The package will include all 12 episodes, plus the OVA along with an artbook.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
YAS.

Has release date too.

Good stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12