• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kiki's Delivery Service Novel Series to End in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, never knew there was an actual novel that inspired the movie. Twenty-four years, whew that's a long time.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I keep forgetting to grab the English edition of the first novel.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow, never knew there was an actual novel that inspired the movie. Twenty-four years, whew that's a long time.

Neither did I until I read this, but it makes sense there would be. But dang, twenty four years for a novel is a very, very long run. The author should pat himself on the back for writing that much for 24 years.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know it was a series. I guess this means the first book wasn't popular enough to publish the rest here. Sad
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I didn't know it was a series. I guess this means the first book wasn't popular enough to publish the rest here. Sad

I have yet to see a complete decently length (3 + volumes) Japanese novel/light novel be translated into English. Usually, they are not well advertised through commercials or promotion (i.e.: volume of XXX manga comes with first chapter of novel adaptation). As much as I would love to see the rest of this series be translated into English, I somehow doubt it will be. Crying or Very sad
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, now the only worthy thing left to finish is Garasu no Kamen.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Neither did I until I read this, but it makes sense there would be. But dang, twenty four years for a novel is a very, very long run. The author should pat himself on the back for writing that much for 24 years.

Except that that's only 6 books in 24 years (well 5 really, since the 24 years doesn't include the time for writing the first one). That's not a fast writing pace - especially if they're books that include illustrations of any kind (since then they're going to be fairly short). It's certainly great for the author to be able to publish a whole series and finally get it all out, but that's a very slow pace at which to write. I can only assume that the author doesn't write as their normal job and has been simply been working on it here and there over the years.

Actually, looking at wikipedia, the first book was only 259 pages - which is a very short book. It fits right in with the size of light novels and other books aimed at younger folks, but taking an average of nearly 5 years per book - particularly when they're that short - is not a fast writing pace at all. That's just a little better than 50 pages per year.

So, yes, it's commendable that the author has continued writing the series this long, but they've been very slow about it.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quote
If it was not for ANN, I would never hear of the novels or light stories or anything else like that for the anime...

It looks like these books were originally intended for an extremely young audience, and meant to be generational - so if you liked it as a kid, you got it for your kid and the newest books and could delight in both remembering the original and reading something new.

This is a writing style that used to be very popular many years ago. Nowadays, its all about how fast you can get more novels out.

Anyways, I respect her for getting the novels out, and for inspiring one of the anime that got me hooked on anime in the first place - after I knew what "anime" was and meant.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:02 am Reply with quote
I knew about the original novel, but not the official English translation. Wasn't paying too much attention to anime/manga news circa 2003.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1