• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AT&T Blocking Part of 4chan, Then Restores Access

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
How exactly is this anime news?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Like it or not, 4chan is a huge and popular site with a large anime connection.
kkofthefunkoff

yay 1 less site of crap for at&t to deal with this is almost as awesome as them being down for almost a week from a server crash.
PlatinumHawke

The problem isn't 4chan (technically). It isn't AT&T. It's the script kiddies hammering every bit of harware on route to one of 4chan's domains. I can't say 4chan isn't totally innocent in this matter, because you know how beligerant that site gets.

Really, you expect an ISP to sit around and watch it's infastructure get abused? No, you fix the problem. Which is what AT&T did, which is within their rights.

And no, they didn't block the site. They blocked a problematic portion of it. Why is that so hard to understand? I'm all for neutrality on the net, but this is taking it to the knee-jerk extreme.
luhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I have AT&T in Ohio and I'm not blocked from accessing that hellhole. I wonder just how widespread the blockage is?
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
Really, you expect an ISP to sit around and watch it's infastructure get abused? No, you fix the problem. Which is what AT&T did, which is within their rights.

They didn't "fix" anything, they unplugged 4chan /b/, which is of course is what the script kiddies wanted to accomplish, which I'm sure will just encourage them even more.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
For what it's worth, I have AT&T in Ohio and I'm not blocked from accessing that hellhole. I wonder just how widespread the blockage is?

Ohio appears to be one of the places which is, for whatever reason, not part of the block.

They could be blocking the areas from where they are receiving the bulk of the DDoS attack traffic from. Maybe Ohioans actually update their computers?
masa

Seriously. Come on folks. Let's use some common sense here.

If ISPs wanted to blackhole 4chan, they could have done that a long time ago. VERY EASILY. I work at an ISP as it's Senior Network Engineer. Trust me when I say it's easy... But, it's not about filtering content. It's about filtering spoofed packets that were eating up bandwidth on the networks not having anything to do with it in the first place. Innocent people who have no clue what 4chan is or even care about 4chan were being harmed because the script kiddies want to have what they view as fun.

Common Sense. Please find and use it right away.

Thanks to PlatinumHawke for actually understanding what's going on.
Big Hed

Shay Guy wrote:

Was only a matter of time, I guess.

Short version: half the traffic on 4chan is comprised of anime fans (I'm pulling that figure out of thin air, but I do know anecdotally it's a pretty big proportion), much of which frequents /b/. Therefore, even if /a/ isn't being blocked, the action by AT&T could have a ripple effect on the activity of the greater online anime community.

So it's not directly related to the production/consumption of anime and related media, but to the people who view it. That's my take, anyway.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
They didn't "fix" anything, they unplugged 4chan /b/, which is of course is what the script kiddies wanted to accomplish, which I'm sure will just encourage them even more.

Basically. I wouldn't be surprised that within the next few years, 4chan won't be able to find a hosting solution due to the amount of DDoS it attracts.
masa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
And, any case, this news is now outdated. AT&T restored network-wide access back to the blocked img.4chan.org at 11:15PM.
J-Head

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Deleted

Last edited by J-Head on Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
masa wrote:
And, any case, this news is now outdated. AT&T restored network-wide access back to the blocked img.4chan.org at 11:15PM.

Wonder how long that will last, considering the site seems to be getting hammered. Again. Oh well, just another month or so until the kids are back in school.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
AT&T is NOT blocking anything. Its just that 4chan is under heavy attack and its nearly impossible to get a data connection through. I practically had to forge a top level data pipe to get connected - but I was able to connect to /b/ on AT&T DSL. There needs to be some TLD blocking of all the domains that are attacking 4chan so traffic can resume its normal flow. Right now 4chan's poor multi-gigabit connections are all jammed with attack traffic - thats BAD. Someone find the C&C servers that are doing these attacks and pull their plugs.
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
AT&T is NOT blocking anything. Its just that 4chan is under heavy attack and its nearly impossible to get a data connection through. I practically had to forge a top level data pipe to get connected - but I was able to connect to /b/ on AT&T DSL. There needs to be some TLD blocking of all the domains that are attacking 4chan so traffic can resume its normal flow. Right now 4chan's poor multi-gigabit connections are all jammed with attack traffic - thats BAD. Someone find the C&C servers that are doing these attacks and pull their plugs.

actually, CentralGadget got AT&T to admit about the block earlier, per the updates on
http://www.centralgadget.com/att-blocking-access-to-portions-of-4chan-2336/

however, after AT&T lifted the block around 11-ish PST, somebody else had launched separate DDOS-attacks on the whole 4chan-site this time.

oy, vey!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6