• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AT&T Blocking Part of 4chan, Then Restores Access

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
When is the foolishness going to stop? Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
I guess they didn't like Pedobear. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
masa wrote:
When is the foolishness going to stop? Rolling Eyes

When better ISPs come along and when kids stop being stupid. As it is, Cox, Comcast, AT&T, and tons of others are on the blacklist.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
I hang around 4chan and I know the attacks are happening. Had no idea AT&T blocked- I haven't been on in two days. The site seems to be working for me now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
masa wrote:
Seriously. Come on folks. Let's use some common sense here.

If ISPs wanted to blackhole 4chan, they could have done that a long time ago. VERY EASILY. I work at an ISP as it's Senior Network Engineer. Trust me when I say it's easy... But, it's not about filtering content. It's about filtering spoofed packets that were eating up bandwidth on the networks not having anything to do with it in the first place. Innocent people who have no clue what 4chan is or even care about 4chan were being harmed because the script kiddies want to have what they view as fun.

Common Sense. Please find and use it right away.

Thanks to PlatinumHawke for actually understanding what's going on.

Yah, but I think some people do have a point, which is that if DDoS attacks can cause IPs to start blocking access to a site, it could encourage people to do them even more. Afterall, that means that even if your attack fails to bring the site itself down, you've still blocked access to it.

The potential for this to be more than just a one time event is somewhat unpleasant.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
Oh, this also makes me want to bring up the topic of ISPs complaining about the 5% who use well over 50% of the traffic. Well, it's obvious who that 5% is, but would the other 95% even care if their net slowed down a bit?

What do most people use the internet for? Online shopping, e-mail, maybe watching videos on YouTube/Hulu/MSNBC? They wouldn't even come close to noticing their internet speeds dropping unless it was a severe problem. The issue is that those top 5% probably pay for the most expensive plan, and then use it, and then they're penalized for it, while the normal people don't even need the 1-2Mb plans most of the time. The whole issue is annoying, and this blocking of /b/ is a small part of it. The other big issue being "where's my damn fiber optic?".
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
I wonder if David Miscarriage had anything to do with this? Is it a misunderstanding or January of 1984?

I haven't been to 4chan in quite a while, and I'm assuming they're being DDoS'd as we speak because while it isn't blocked, I can just barely squeeze through on SBC Yahoo DSL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
masa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:03 am Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:
I wonder if David Miscarriage had anything to do with this? Is it a misunderstanding or January of 1984?

I haven't been to 4chan in quite a while, and I'm assuming they're being DDoS'd as we speak because while it isn't blocked, I can just barely squeeze through on SBC Yahoo DSL.

When AREN'T they being DDoS'ed. This is just ridiculous.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quote
Uh oh they blocked 4 chan?!!?!

SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHO-SHO-SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHO-SHO-SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS EVERYBOOOODAYE!!
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/AT%26T_Blocks_4chan

If you can get around the shi....ah, whom I kidding. Net Neutrality is being ****ed here.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
Ha! I can't get it anyway. Funny enough my roommate with the router was blocking all of 4chan anyway. He did it as a joke with another thread but said he'd leave it until I got a permanent job. Honestly, I don't mind the fasting. Though during comicon I should have asked for a brief hiatus. We have Comcast anyway. Plus I don't really visit /b/. /r9k/ is so much better to boot.

PlatinumHawke wrote:
http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2009-July/012182.html
And here's your reason why. Should have been wondering why the site was faster and more stable in the last few days.

I noticed that when I went home for a bit. They have been having some serious DOS attacks lately.

Zipper wrote:
And nothing of value was lost.

ha. I remember hearing that a few times 4chan 'died'. Dunno if you were serious, but that phrase kinda generated from 4chan... which got it from an ep of The Critic. They even used a screencap and had a 4chan banner in flames in front of Jay and his son.

Oh and some interesting commentary here:
http://gawker.com/5323539/att-has-managed-to-really-piss-off-the-wrong-bunch-of-web+nerds
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:34 am Reply with quote
It should be mentioned that there are small imageboards abundant with content far more legally dubious than 4chan's /b/, which to my knowledge continue to exist unabated, presumably due to their lower levels of popularity. Considering this, along with the obvious fact that there exist many other 18+ boards on 4chan itself, the reason for this blocking is probably more complicated than a simple matter of adult content. Malware perhaps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:05 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It should be mentioned that there are small imageboards abundant with content far more legally dubious than 4chan's /b/, which to my knowledge continue to exist unabated, presumably due to their lower levels of popularity. Considering this, along with the obvious fact that there exist many other 18+ boards on 4chan itself, the reason for this blocking is probably more complicated than a simple matter of adult content. Malware perhaps?

Theirs a theory going on that another image board (infamously known to spam 4chan's image boards with their website and adding some nonsense crap; the last spam I saw had a very ****ed up spelling of the site addy and DESUDESUDESUDESUDEUS-type stuff) is doing a DDoS attack, and using 4chan's IP addy for img.4chan.org as the "source."
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost.....................
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

Theirs a theory going on that another image board (infamously known to spam 4chan's image boards with their website and adding some nonsense crap; the last spam I saw had a very ****ed up spelling of the site addy and DESUDESUDESUDESUDEUS-type stuff) is doing a DDoS attack, and using 4chan's IP addy for img.4chan.org as the "source."

Yeah, that'd be anontalk, which is pretty much 4chan for pedos.
4chan and another imageboard site have been trying to take them out for ages, not just because of the spam. They're highly suspected to being the ones causing all the DDoS attacks on 4chan.

The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
And nothing of value was lost.....................

Yes, but you have to think that because of the block, all the /b/tards that can't get to their forum have now been released to the normal internet world.

Last edited by sepherest on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6