• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jyu Oh Sei (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Jyu Oh Sei

I just finished this series, so I was looking for a thread to drop some comments on this show, but I couldn't find one so here I am making it.

Before I go into detail, I highly recommend that you view JesuOtaku's YouTube review of this show-it's what sparked my interest initially into watching the show. You can find the thread here

My feelings on this show are mixed, it catches my interest and stays the course (for most of the show, with a couple of bumps); however, because of it's limited number of episodes, this show feels like it is trying to marathon a solid story which makes it feel awkward. I really would've liked to see at least 13 episodes (if not 26) put into this show, but perhaps this is how the manga was designed (I hope not). Regardless as to why, the pacing in this show is terrible.

Now the big problem I have with this show starts around episode 7 and here's why spoiler[the introduction of Karin, used as a character that pretty much moves the plot along (due to her eventual death)-is what starts the decline of this show. For some, unknown reason, the main character Thor becomes completely infatuated with her and looks like he's ready to bang her from the moment they meet. I hate the obvious superficiality more importantly, the absolute disregard of Tiz.

Tiz has been there from episode one supporting Thor and he pretty much just disregards her feelings. She is my favorite character in the series and I just can't stand the way he picks Karin over her, basically based on appearance. I don't see any other reason for it-they barely just met, and she's pretty whacked in the head for her entire existence on the show. So I hate the main character now.

Since I'm on Tiz, I'm going to discuss another bit that just really gets me boiling in the last episode. She dies. Ok characters die, but it's the reasoning and how that matters right? She dies for the slimiest character in the series, Zabi, for no real reason. It isn't explained, basically we get a "well, he's Thors friend so I gotta take a bullet for him because I value him more than myself". What ridiculous reason! So now the show has just killed my favorite character over a pathetically stupid reason. ]

So I needed to rant about the down fall in this show. I'd like to remind those who bothered reading this that the show is solid watch until the end, so if you're looking for a short, decent sci-fi series-then I would highly recommend this show. It's fairly entertaining, until you realize how absurd the producers finish it up.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Why on earth did Funi license this series if it can't even generate any discussion from a major forum such as this one? Shocked
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Please don't bump your own thread. When people are interested, they'll post when they feel like it. Don't forget this is summer vacation for a lot of people. I'm sure they've got more/better things to do.

Be patient...
Lee1981

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I guess the show is okay but it's not really that good and I think the biggest appeal of it would probably be for making riff-trax on it or something like that. For one thing, I didn't buy that that planet was some hardcore every-man-for-himself warzone that they were making it out to be. Maybe if they focused it more on making it out to be some weird cult-planet that has to deal with plants that want them dead it would've been more believable because that's pretty much what it was most of the time. I also didn't find the characters to be believable at all and I really didn't like them. I did find the concept of the planet with all the plants trying to kill everyone to be interesting, and the artwork and animation are really nice to look at. Unfortunately it seems to completely forget about its whole premise after the time skip where it snows and all the plants die or go in hibernation or something and from there they might as well be in Antarctica or something. I do like snowy arctic settings, but post-time skip I remember finding the anime to be bland and generic. I say "remember" because I really can't even remember most of what happened after episode 5 and although I watched the whole thing I can't for the life of me remember how it ended and had forgotten that spoiler[Tiz even died.] Speaking of Tiz, I couldn't help laughing at her during the early episodes and how much of a stalker she seemed to be at times. "Hey, Tiz, no means no!" In any case, JesuOtaku's review of it was good, but I found myself agreeing more with GrumpyJihsan's thoughts (that old guy in the desert/forest/wherever who posts anime reviews on Youtube) on it.
Lupin7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I bought the whole series because of a trailer on my Ouran DVD and watched the first ten episodes in one night, I loved the first half so much and the story was really good and fast paced I think what I loved most though was the characters and their personalities - Rai will always be my favourite!

-SPOILER-

Even if he was only in one episode R.I.P Rai.
But I hated the second half! I couldn't bring myself to watch the last two episode for a month after because I knew the ending would be bad, they just killed everyone off... Even if Tiz was REALLY desperate, she deserved Thor more than the red head whose name I've forgotten.
Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1