• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Iron Man, Wolverine Marvel Anime Teasers Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
omg. I can't stop laughing at Wolverine. He looks hilarious!!
So you mean to tell me while he was immortal he was fighting Youma?
(I know what the guy said- its still funny)

And then Iron Man- he looks alright. I feel like he'll be much more epic in the anime go around. I like that bad guy! I love villains with Harlock hats!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Iron Man teaser was BA and just plain awesome. But the whole style of Wolverine (the character) just felt so...wrong. The rest of what was going one I could get used to, but his design was so...cringe worthy.
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Iron Man versus Captain Harlock?

I'm down.

Wolverine reminds me alot of Ninja Scroll, though.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I am loving the Iron Man trailer! ...But the Wolverine one is just... WRONG. I love long-haired pretty boys as much as the next girl, but seeing Wolverine like that makes me want to puke. Anime dazed I dunno, it's like being attracted to my dad or something. Ugh.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I made an analysis video for the Wolverine trailer. I said that Wolvie should not have long hair and be skinny, I said he should be short and hairy. I have the comics, he's short and hairy and buff.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, had I not already known that was supposed to be Wolverine, I would have never guessed it. Even with the claw/blades. Anyways, between the two Iron Man looks by far better. But while I don't like the Wolverine one, because its supposed to be Wolverine and I have no idea what so ever what the hell happened Anime cry , (this was not what I had exactly in mind when I heard about it in the first place) if i'd have watched this without knowing thats what it was supposed to be, or rather if it was just another any ol' anime, then I would have thought it was pretty cool. I does look pretty neat in a way Confused .

Which ever the case, I liked and wanna see both Wink
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
-1 Wolverine trailer
+1 Iron Man trailer

I'm not terribly big fan of Marvel stuff, but based on these trailers alone, I'm definitely more interested in Iron Man.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
As everyone has already said, Iron Man teaser=good, Wolverine teaser=bad. It looks like an unrelated anime with claws tacked on.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
I always had more of feel for Ironman, since that promo image was release last year. That trailer confirmed my expectations and was really cool, easily the best of the two.

Wolverine on the other hand, will need a lot to convince me. Its trailer is cool enough, but that Wolverine design isn't feeling me. I hope they change his hair, and bulk him up a little. He doesn't have to be as muscle bound as the original, but it wouldn't hurt.

I hope these are both good, and do well and I'll look forward to the fansubs in 2010.

Planet Hulk though, not something I'd be interested in.

I just wish Marvel, would also pushed something like Criminal, for an anime series, instead of so much superheroes. This would show that american comics are more than super hero fodder.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I must agree with you guys, I don't like how they portrayed Wolverine, but I love how they made Iron man look like.

I will watch both animes though, since I'm a huge Marvel fan.

As for the Hulk anime not mentioned in this article, I will also be watching that too, I loved the world war hulk saga in the comic.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
With Warren Ellis writing the story for both series, I'm in. Iron Man looks good, but, yeah, this demo reel for Wolverine doesn't even look like him. He looks like a reject extra from Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
I hope these are both good, and do well and I'll look forward to the fansubs in 2010.

Planet Hulk though, not something I'd be interested in.

I just wish Marvel, would also pushed something like Criminal, for an anime series, instead of so much superheroes. This would show that american comics are more than super hero fodder.
I don't think fansubbing will have anything to do with the Planet Hulk animation, when LIONSGATE is in charged of production by hiring Madhouse as production staff. Just like what they did with their Hulk VS. label, which was a direct-to-DVD release format due to the violence and graphical contents. And hooray for zero censorship(and an animated Deadpool for the first time ever)! Very Happy

As for focusing on the criminals(bad choice of word, I believe), I think it should be more about retelling a story from a villain's POV. For even the New Avengers are a group of criminal vigilantes because of circumstances of the laws, and the Dark Avengers are consisted of reformed villains became law enforcers. That way we can still see for ourselves that the true making of a hero lies in actions, not ideologies. And less confusing on the hero worshiping, for dearest sake we got too many of those around as is.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
Re: the Wolverine trailer...What, Logan's a bishie?! Well...this can't be worse than the Origins movie from earlier this spring...But how do you translate "bub" in Japanese?

Someone just pointed out to me that it would translate to "bubbu". And for this reason, it is impossible to make an authentic Wolverine anime (they doesn't turn into a comedy).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I made an analysis video for the Wolverine trailer. I said that Wolvie should not have long hair and be skinny, I said he should be short and hairy. I have the comics, he's short and hairy and buff.

So I take it you dislike Hugh Jackman as Wolverine considering he is neither short nor hairy & has long been a fav of the female fans. (I.E.-a bishonen)

As for the "bub" bit, there are some VA's who are pretty good with the English language--good enough to not add that extra vowel at the end.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

So I take it you dislike Hugh Jackman as Wolverine considering he is neither short nor hairy & has long been a favorite of the female fans. (I.E.-a bishonen)

As for the "bub" bit, there are some VA's who are pretty good with the English language--good enough to not add that extra vowel at the end.
I think Jackman's masculinity more than made up for the lack of authenticity of his Wolverine. However it's the fact that the Madhouse Wolverine isn't authentic nor masculine, and what little he has lift in him is therefore very questionable to say the least.

EDIT: And I think they might go with the Japanese phrase "小僧" which is the closest of their Japanese language meaning "brat". For they just don't have a direct annotation for something like "bub" in their language system.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3