• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Heaven's Memo Pad Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
CCharmanderK wrote:
The dub is written and directed by Steven Foster, who did the (considerably bad) English dubs of High School of the Dead, NEEDLESS, Voices of a Distant Star, and the absolutely horrendous interpretation of Clannad and Clannad: After Story.

You forgot Guin Saga, which has to be one of the worst dubs he's done in quite a while.

also angel beats is quite poor why is clannad bad though?
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I love Steven Foster's dubs. He brought us Saiyuki, No.6, and Orphen (1st season), those are fine amazing. Not sure why you people hate on his work. Oh, that's right, because most fans watch it subbed first and compare the two languages, and end up hating on the English when it doesn't "live up" to the said original.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I love Steven Foster's dubs. He brought us Saiyuki, No.6, and Orphen (1st season), those are fine amazing. Not sure why you people hate on his work. Oh, that's right, because most fans watch it subbed first and compare the two languages, and end up hating on the English when it doesn't "live up" to the said original.

You obviously didn't watch the video I posted. For shame.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

No it's because the guy fifteens his dubs all the time. angel beats episode 1 dub has a different tone then the first episode of it subbed.
voices of a distant star makes one of the two leads sound like he is an arrogant @*(#& and not quietly confident. watch guin saga and see if you can still think that, that show has a horrible dub because of script changes he makes to the show.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
So, uh, does anyone besides Key have an opinion on the dub for this particular show yet? Of the shows coming from him these next few months, I'm assuming this might as well be the "closest" to Mawaru Penguindrum tonally (or at least, I'm sure it's closer than Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, and GotF), so I'm curious in what people who like this show think about the dub. I saw several minutes of the first episode dubbed, and it seemed fine enough, but then again, I didn't feel any prior attachment to the property.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
and much more of the awesome Hidaka Rina NEET detective.

Ogura Yui, not Hidaka Rina.

Dammit. It was so unmemorable I'm getting my newbie loli-voicing seiyuu mixed up!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
guys, Foster only directed the first 12 episodes of Clannad. Janice Williams took over for the rest as well as After Story along with David Williams
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

nah, we hate on him for changing things around too much solely for a cheap laugh.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
guys, Foster only directed the first 12 episodes of Clannad. Janice Williams took over for the rest as well as After Story along with David Williams

Can someone please tell the supposed problem with the clannad dub because I watched it and it seemed fine

I would agree that the adaptation does a good job for people who have not read the novels in quite a few places however I would recommend watching the first episode if you have not read the novels. because they cut out a lot of the second novel, and the first novel losses a lot of the social commentary on these people who are defined by society as useless actually being powerful (in some sense). the novels also don't objectify alice, and make her more then just a narrative tool.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
nah, we hate on him for changing things around too much solely for a cheap laugh.

He'd better not screw up the new Grave of the Fireflies dub or else I'm going to ram my shoe down his throat and kick his balls from the inside.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
getchman wrote:

He'd better not screw up the new Grave of the Fireflies dub or else I'm going to ram my shoe down his throat and kick his balls from the inside.

No you won't. You'll complain about it on the internet, which is the same as doing nothing at all.

This kind of nastiness has absolutely no place here. You don't like his dubs and that, in your mind, justifies this kind of violent crap? If I see anything like this from you again, you're out of here. Again.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Can we please talk about this amazing series and passable adaptation instead of steven foster please. (looks at blu-ray still in wrapping)
this series really does do social commentary on (atleast some) neets, and I hope that more people find out about it.
P.S. the theme you single out is called teddie and the words are actually nonsense, though it is haunting.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Can someone please tell the supposed problem with the clannad dub because I watched it and it seemed fine

my problem was that it felt a little lazy at times, and a few characters were miscast.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
my problem was that it felt a little lazy at times, and a few characters were miscast.

Examples?

I don't agree with some of the knocks against Steven Foster dubs; for instance, I have watched VoDS numerous times both ways and never felt there was as huge a difference as people claim and I thought the Angel Beats! dub was just fine. And even with Guin Saga, the problem is really just with content that totals less than ten minutes of running time in the second half (although those few minutes were epically bad); most of the dub work and casting choices were perfectly fine. Those who are concerned about his more legitimate problem cases should not be concerned here, however. Worried about him changing dialogue? As I noted in the review, the English script is as faithful as it could reasonably be. Worried about the casting choices and performance? They're mostly good. Worried about him pulling stupid accent crap? He doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
most of angel beats is fine, the first episode though he pulled his normal 15ing trash that he likes to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3