• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey Asks Which Anime That Fans Want on BD in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
article wrote:
Since this unscientific survey's sample is non-random and self-selected, the results cannot be extrapolated to represent a larger group.

Thanks for including this disclaimer; I think it helps head off a number of arguments.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
Well you all know where my brain is at. 'Denno Coil' BABY!!!
Definitely deserving of BD. Now if only someone would bring it over here. While I'm not all surprised of seeing 'GL' on the list (though it's to be expected) I am surprised to see 'Kamichu' on there.

It seems the BD format is really kicking off in Japan. More so than sales here.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Choosing from the ones that I've seen, the only one I'd be interested in picking up is TTGL. Seeing that last fight in HD would probably make my TV explode, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
That list was rather surprising...Zegapain at 1? lol love that series but it didn't seem to be very popular at all... Denno Coil would be awesome in 1080p. Kamichu...some good underrated anime on that list.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
Surprised KnK isn't already on blu-ray.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
I really fail to see the point of things like Haruhi and Kanon on blu-ray. Though I don't mind Haruhi, I don't think it's gonna be better in HD than on dvd, there's just not enough to it. Now Gurren Lagann I can see as it is full of action and flashy animations. Karas would be cool to see on bluray, sadly it's not on the list.
laguz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
am i the only one who wants Haruhi Suzumiya on blu-ray?

Um, I definitely would like to see it on blu-ray...hare hare yukai in all its glory in high def = win.

I'm surprised Valkyria Chronicles is up there. I love that series and find it disappointing that not many people know about it.
Annf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Even for SD shows, BD's higher bitrate and better codecs are pleasant. It's nice to get rid of the compression artifacts seen on DVD when there's a lot of independent motion on screen. (multiple scrolling layers, star fields, explosions, particle effects, etc.)

The BD release of Eureka 7 was a good example of this. I really wish I'd kept the screen caps. The show was created at SD resolution, so there's no resolution benefit for the BD release. On stills and pans, DVD and BD looked the same. But on scenes with explosions and Trapar particles, the DVD has messy compression noise, but the BD is clean. The difference was pretty obvious.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
am i the only one who wants Haruhi Suzumiya on blu-ray?
Most people do until they realize it's an SD series and you would only be getting an upscale. (Though BD should have the bandwidth to handle the OP without blocking.)
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Unless the show was mastered or remastered in HD, then it'd be such a waste to get it simply upscaled in BD, even if it removes the artifacts in DVD, which aren't all that prevalent anyways. However, if they filtered (post-processed) the hell out of the upscale to make it look better than a simple upscale, then I'd reconsider. Otherwise, they should definitely prioritize those shows that are produced in HD, like:
True Tears
Kissdum: Engage Planet
Dennou Coil
Valkyria Chronicles
Kara no Kyoukai
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Dennou Coil and Kara no Kyoukai on BluRay would be so much epic winning awesomeness.

Heck, just getting them on DVD over here would be nice...

I have to wonder, though, about some of that list... seriously, Aria on BD? I mean, I liked Aria but would it really gain anything from BD? I don't think so. Not like Dennou Coil, Kara no Kyoukai, Gurren Lagann (and maybe even Haruhi, but I wouldn't buy it on BD since I have it on DVD already) would.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I think Simoun would look really nice on BD (I doubt it'll happen...least of all Stateside), and I wish that Denno Coil would finally be licensed over here. Random question: in regards to the Simoun complete collection, how is the format? Is it like the Noein and GiTS: SAC collections (pretty much as if buying the singles, but also placed in another box) , is it like the ADV thinpack, or what?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Is moe really better on BD? Apparently so...

Honestly, I barely want half of those shows on DVD. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje

Anything with video is made better by better video quality. Anything that is audio is improved by better audio quality.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Honestly, I barely want half of those shows on DVD. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje

Anything with video is made better by better video quality. Anything that is audio is improved by better audio quality.

But the point was that nothing can make moe better.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

But the point was that nothing can make moe better.
Except for more moe. And isn't that what we're seeing, this shift of quantity over quality in the anime market? The total number of anime series per titles is down, but the disproportion of moe anime outnumbering others is still prevalent for all to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4